“Beautiful secluded spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Spider Rock Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinle
Spider Rock Campground
You added Spider Rock Campground to your Saves list
South Rim Canyon Drive, Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Chinle, AZ 86503   |
Kentucky
“Beautiful secluded spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

This is a beautiful spot We stayed in one of the Hogans surrounded by sage and juniper and woke up to flute music being played. The Hogans are cozy and snug, it is so quiet and peaceful. there were a few other campers there but you didnt know it. Canyon de Chelly is a beautiful place with few tourists( in October ,anyway) Howard the camp host is friendly and helpful and his dog and cat are adorable. We cooked chicken and dumplings on the woodstove! Thank you Howard for sharing this beautiful place !

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Firstly, my wife and I love getting off the beaten track and exploring places that are remote and basic. We do not expect much. Our encounter with this campsite and owner was a disgrace. When we arrived at the campgrounds there was only a few other vehicles and trailer onsite. We thought we were in luck. Even though the place was not very organizes we would have a good pick of the sites that were available for the two nights we planned to stay. We then met Howard and asked him a few question. Each site was $15 per night, bathrooms were available but we had our own traveltrailer if they were dirty. We also asked what was happening to all the sick trees around the Campsite. he told us a beetle was attacking them and they would soon all die. He then led us towards the back of his campgrounds and told us to pull into a very small pull-in of the small dirt road he had led us up. I asked him why he wanted us to pull in to that spot. He said that was our campsite for the next two nights. I was polite and asked him how I was supposed to get my car and trailer into the very small, narrow and extremely uneven spot. He just shrugged. So I asked about wanting one of the other much better campsites available. He said he was saving them just in case some other people come. I asked are the lots you are saving $15 dollars for the night too. He said yes and if you do not like the site I have given you I GUESS I WILL SEE YOU LATER. Meaning if you do not like what I have given you, get lost. My wife and I are very experienced travellers and have rarely been treated this way. Never at a Campground. So beware. Other travellers said he was a good polite man. His camp was disorganized, basic with no potable water but it was close to all the hiking trails of the Canyon.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Graham, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Friendly owner is the only plus point. No frills whatsoever, disgusting showers & toilets, the hogans are basically old sheds with dirty furniture - not authentic at all. We had a look around the site and left. I didn't expect much for $10, but cleanliness doesn't cost anything. I've heard the free government site is much better & cleaner, but it was closed for maintenance so I can't comment.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Buckeye, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

First of all, anyone who is camping, should be camping for the sake of being one with nature. Period. If you need mattresses, bathrooms, showers, laundry and the internet, then go stay in a hotel room. I love Spider Rock Campground because of how rustic it is. That is what draws me back year after year. I wish they would not allow trailers, because these people take away from the pristine beauty and peace and quiet here. If you're coming to sit in your trailer and watch tv and have a/c, then go somewhere else because it is very disruptive to the tent patrons who are there to hear the sounds of nature -- and not your generator. That is really my only complaint. The sites are fairly close to one another, which is fine, but if you get stuck next to a trailer you may be subjected to the sounds of a generator while you are trying to enjoy your dinner by the fire.

Howard is a gracious and friendly host and really makes you feel welcome. I've always felt very safe at this campground and will continue to come back year after year. The camp dog and camp cat are extra perks and made us feel like we had our own pets with us on the journey. The private hiking path here along the rim of the canyon is a huge bonus as well.

I've certainly been to more aesthetically pleasing campgrounds, but I still rate this one very highly just for the overall experience, gracious host, and location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I stayed at Spider Rock Campground and was planning on a tent site (cant beat the price). However, I decided on trying the Small Hogan since I have many Dine (Navajo) friends and have never slept in one; me being from a neighboring tribe. Hogans were very traditional (meaning not fancy). Howard even let me take a few "Wild Indian" photos with his Hogans for that Ol' West effect. The area was beautiful, quiet, and about as "off the beaten path" as you can get without hiking or needing a four-wheel drive. The bathrooms? They were primitive compared to other campgrounds and could be a little cleaner. However, the location is self-sufficient with no utilities connected. From that point I could understand why the bathrooms were not too great. Spider Rock is very close to this location and the rates are way, way cheaper than rooms in Chinle. I do plan on staying again except being more prepared. Wi-fi is available but if you have broadband cell reception isnt too bad.

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

Had realistic expectations (read other reviews) before heading to this campground, but expectations hit the toilet - literally. While Howard (owner) seemed very accommodating, and his dog, Boy, was fun to have hang around; we left this campground a day early. The toilets were beyond filthy. I don't mind rustic toilets, but cleaning them up a bit here and there wouldn't hurt. Also, way too many assumed permanent residents in campground. When the guy at adjacent site started his morning off by practicing his bow hunting (yes, with real arrows); and the generator went all night at other campsite; and the diesel pickup had to run for an hour ... well, that just compounded the toilets. The other campsite, near visitor center, didn't look that much better when doing a drive-thru. While Canyon de Chelly jeep tour was fun and canyon was beautiful and interesting, I would have just been happy to spend one night in nearby Holiday Inn vs. camping. I think one full day is enough. Good luck!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Swampscott, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

This campground is amazing! We stayed there with our two little kids and had a wonderful family time. The campground is situated amongst a beautiful landscape with views of the canyon in the distance. It is run by Howard, a really helpful and accomodating host, who built the campground on the traditional land of his Navajo family. He helped my husband situate our camper, and hook it back up when we left. Howard was able to arrange a jeep tour for us down into the canyon, and had firewood available for purchase. My husband even took the opportunity to join Howard and some other guests in a traditional sweat lodge! Where else can you do that? If you want to have an even more authentic experience you can stay in a hogan, a small Navajo house that is found all over the area. My kids loved the camp dog and cat, and enjoyed all the other wildlife they found. Other reviewers are correct in saying that the toilets are very basic, but once you read the instructions and know what to do, even my 3 year old could handle it by himself. If you enjoy nature and want to feel peace and quiet in your bones, then this is the placefor you!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Spider Rock Campground? Share your experiences!