“Oscar delivers again!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 12 Activities in Chinle
Mesa, Arizona
“Oscar delivers again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband, myself and a couple of friends (visiting Arizona from New Jersey) spent a very enjoyable day with Oscar Bia on May 17th. We opted for the six hour tour and were able to cover most of Canyon de Chelly in Oscar's four-wheel drive Jeep. (Unless you have a pretty rough-and-ready SUV of your own, I would definitely suggest using Oscar's equipment as some of the river crossings are rocky and rough.) We found Oscar to be very approachable with a lively sense of humor; he really put forth the effort to ensure a positive experience for all of us. We heard stories about his family and the Dine` culture, saw lots of ruins, petroglyphs and rock formations in the far reaches of the Canyon, and even visited some of Oscar's own property. I had no problems getting in touch with him to make the arrangements, corresponding either via cell phone or email. As of last month, Oscar was doing business as "Canyon Ancient Jeep Tours" and his contact info. was as follows: ph: 928-349-5912 / email: oscarbia@yahoo.com

Visited May 2012

Fountain Hills, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
“I am sorry to say....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I chose this tour company because it had only a few reviews, but they were all positive...and I wanted to support a new business. It was difficult to get a response from Oscar Bia when I was trying to set up the tour. But, he finally did respond. Oscar told me that he would give me a tour himself, as I had asked for an all-day tour. I arrived the morning of my tour and asked some other tour operators if they knew Oscar. They informed me that he was in Phoenix, and that he no longer provided tours!!!
They offered to call him, and when I spoke to him, he did not remember the plan he had set up with me. Unbeknownst to me, on the phone he asked one of the other tour operators if I could go with him and luckily, the couple he was taking touring welcomed me. I ended up having a very good tour, but realize how lucky I was. I could have been at de Chelly and not had a tour at all, as I was leaving the next day. Very disappointing.

Visited May 2012
Santa fe, NM
“A great journey into Canyon de Chelly & Canyon del Muerto”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor, we (two couples) set up a three hour tour with Oscar to travel into the canyons. My spouse and I have visited Canyon de Chelly a couple of times in the past but never had the time or opportunity to take one of the guided tours, pretty happy that we took the tour. Oscar was very pleasant, open, and full of stories/songs/and great info about the canyon's history and people. Everthing went well, we saw and learned a lot,basically had one of the best tours we have ever gone on. I am a volunteer at a National Park and do a couple of different tours for visitors, so I do feel I can highly recommend Oscar without hesitation.

Visited April 2012
Annapolis, Maryland
“Spider Rock Jeep Tour Provides Great Insight into Canyon de Chelly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

Canyon de Chelly is much more than a pretty hole in the ground. It's also a key economic and cultural resource of a large number of native American farmers who have lived and worked in the Canyon for generations. To understand that context a guide such as Oscar Bia of Spider Rock Jeep Tours provides more information and insight into the human and natural resources of Canyon de Chelly than you can possibly absorb in a half-day tour. Try to get a one-day trip if you can, a half-day if you can't.
You'll learn history, art, US-Navajo relations, how to really see the shapes and forms of man and nature imprinted on the Canyon over the millenia, from a man who grew up using the canyon as his playground. You'll remember lovely vistas of the Canyon a long time, you'll think about the personal and tribal stories that Oscar shares forever.

Visited September 2011
Lewisburg, West Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Oscar Bia is a sweet, wonderful man. He'll take you into his life growing up in the Canyon and share beautiful stories, history and cultural information. It was an amazing day, so very happy to have had this experience.

Visited March 2011