“Perfect everytime” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #438 of 4,099 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Like so many American stories, this one stared with a trip and a dream... Emigrating from Greece in 1969, my father's first career in the United States was that of an aircraft mechanic while my mother worked as a homemaker raising three children. My father and mother had a dream of owning their own business. After studying the subtleties that made other businesses successful and scouting out locations they settled for a site two blogs from the beach in a little town called Ocean Beach. The former sight of Spyros' Coffee Shop was the perfect location, and with the help of their family and freinds they did most of the construction themselves. They wanted to evoke a down home country feeling so they came up with the name The Old Townhouse. By August of 1973, the Old Townhouse was ready for business. My father is an excellent self taught cook and my mother loves people so she was a natural as being a waitress. My mother knew every customer's name that would walk through the front door. She made every customer feel at home and with my dad's cooking it was not that hard to create an atmosphere that brought everyone together. They made an excellent team. They worked long hours with no restaurant experience and with a few bumps along the way they made the Old Townhouse what it is today. Chris and Soula strived to make quality and hospitality their main priorities. Chris refused to serve anything but the best homemade meals. They treated each customer as a guest in their own home. To this day, they invite you as the customer to feel as comfortable in the Old Townhouse as you would in the home of a close friend. Because of this dedication to service and quality, the business has grown over the years to welcome repeat customers. These regulars have epitomized the meaning of the word family in the Old Townhouse Family Restaurant. Chris and Soula's youngest son Peter and daughter Nancy, managed the restaurant for several years, and then moved on to pursue other career endeavors. The couple's oldest son Ted resumed the family management in the spring of 2003. Ted and is wife Kathy continue to pursue the aspirations of service and quality to which the customers of the Old Townhouse Family have grown accustomed. There is no end to the restaurant stories my family can tell. Thousands of people have walked through our doors and eaten our food...And just as we've left an impression on them they've left an impression on us. When we get together the conversation invariably turns to the past and to the family members and customers who have meant so much to us. We invite you to make us a part of your family, please enjoy some old fashioned comfort food and hospitality along with great atmosphere and professional staff.
San Diego
“Perfect everytime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've gone here many times and have never been disappointed. I normally get the hash, eggs and hash browns...pretty simple, but its perfect everytime and noone can complain about perfect. My friend orders the Townhouse Special, like always, and loves it everytime. Be mindful, Sunday mornings can be a little wait. But the wait is totally worth is for a good breakfast to start your day. After, you can walk down the street to the pier.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Newport Beach, California
“Good food prepared fast and served nice and hot.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Had the corned beef hash and eggs - eggs were fantastic. Hash was good - nothing special (visually a little did-food looking). My husband had the machaca and enjoyed that very much.

No half & half for the coffee was valet-down for me. Non - dairy creamer should be against the law!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Worth the drive from Shelter Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had tried several of the restaurants on and near Shelter Island, but decided to trek over to Ocean Beach to The Old Townhouse Restaurant! Great value, fast fast service, and the food was more than ample. I couldn't have eaten more if I'd been at a buffet! Great place ... make the drive and you WON'T be disappointed.
**NOTE: We went there on Saturday morning and ate at around 8:30. By the time we finished there were people waiting at the door, and when we came back from shopping thirty minutes later, there was a line out the door of about a dozen people. Get there early on weekends!

Visited October 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“Do get your breakfast here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Gave this a try based on Google search and recommendations found there. Not disappointed and went back the next day. Very familial feel. Great food (though the coffee was rather tepid on my second visit) and very reasonable prices. Generous servings too.

Visited October 2012
Rochester, New York
“Great!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Inexpensive, great breakfast food! Small, but on a weekday had no problems getting seated. Cute street, right near the beach.

• Visited October 2012