“Now that's a fish taco worth writing home about” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Syracuse, New York
“Now that's a fish taco worth writing home about”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Imagine if a sushi chef decided to make fish tacos. Now imagine that instead of some obnoxious high end place, it was nice but actually kind of low key, but the ingredients were still top notch. You stand in line, place your order, then sit down and the food is brought to you.

On day one in SD, I went there with my brother and the line was long. We had a soccer game to get to so we went someplace else and had some moderately good Mexican. BIG MISTAKE.

I went there the day before I went home and I had a legitimately amazing soft shell crab taco as well as an excellent beer batter alaskan cod taco. Both were perfectly fried and tasted very fresh. Each had a homemade cole slaw that provided an excellent counterpoint. The soft shell crab was so juicy and delicious it was revelatory. As in my brother had been going there for years and couldn't believe he'd never ordered it before. As in by far the best thing I ate in SD. (Blowing the overpriced Sally's Seafood out of the water) Did I mention they were only $4-5 each?

They were so good that I had to stop by on my way to the airport and have lunch again. In fact I got greedy and bought extras for the flight back east. I was clearly the happiest man in the O'Hare bar during my layover.

This is not a white linen restaurant, but it isn't the Soup Nazi either. Given how busy they are I was even more impressed by the waitstaff, they were very friendly and very helpful.

Pro-tip: Don't sit down until you've placed your order. There aren't a ton of tables and it's considered rude. If you can't stand lines call ahead and order take out.

Visited June 2013

San Diego, California
“Not worth the long wait.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Went on a Friday night. Waited in the long line and decided on what we wanted, while waiting. Finally get to the front of the line and see their small sign saying they are out of ahi and quite a few other types of fresh fish. So, we had to decide on something else. Neither one of us got what we wanted and what we got was just ok.
Look, I get that with fresh food and a busy restaurant, they might run out of some of the fish. But, could they not put a larger sign at the beginning of the LONG line, so that you can have your decision made, by the time you FINALLY get to order?!?! I guarantee the line would move way faster if they did let people know when they walk in the door what they are out of. In fact, we recommended this to the girl that brought us our food and she just kinda said "yeah right".
We also asked her if we could order some cheesy bread from her and she was nice about it and ordered it for us. She brought it to us but didn't give us the change. I had tipped well when we paid for our food and would have left something for her on the table but don't feel like she should decide if she can keep the change.
Well, they can keep the place. It was definitely not worth the wait, the staff is lacking and I can't really tell you much about the food we ate except that it was not memorable, except for the cheesy bread. It was really good.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Albany
“Count your change.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

The fish sandwich was good but nothing more. The place was not crowded but I was overcharged. When I brought this to the cashiers attention she said "I thought you ordered the salad". That was after she asked if I wanted my bread toasted?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Wofford Heights, California, United States
“Trip to the Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I are fans of " Triple D " , so when we saw this place right before going to Dan Diego we had to try it. We had a Shark sandwiches. Very good. Sign says all orders are cooked for you, so its not fast food. Kinda a funky place inside ( not in a bad way) with seating inside and on their patio. Everything I saw coming to the tables looked good to me.
They have fresh fish for sale in the glass cases. The Swordfish is the nicest piece of fish I have see in a market!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe
“Decent food, aloof service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I took my family to Blue Water for lunch. The fish sandwiches we ate were good. It was fresh fish and nicely seasoned. However we will never return to Blue Water because of the service. My wife and i received our food and my kids who ordered calamari never received there's. I went up to the counter three times to ask about the order. All three times they "handled" me with apathy. I felt like I was getting in the way or something. They barely acknowledged that it was a problem that we had half our order and our kids were waiting. We finally decided to ask for a refund on the calamari. When we asked, they gave me back the money with no apology or any attempt to make good on the bad experience. I have lived in San Diego, my wife grew up there and we return there often to visit family. I get the laid back cool surfer mentality, but when you are running a business and are responsible for preparing and serving food for hard working families you should be more attentive and have some simple courtesy to acknowledge mistakes. Cool surfers shouldnt be rude and obtuse!!!!! Never going there again.

• Visited March 2013