“Good but dingy” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Iran
“Good but dingy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

It is a very odd restaurants. Staff are friendly. Food is great.
But there was a silverfish on our table and when we told this to the waiter, he just kill it with his hand. He didn't even bother himself to clean the table or to apologize for their dingy restaurant! No matter how good your food is, you have to respect the customer and care about the condition of your restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
San Diego, California
“What a unique and amazing experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Had no idea what to expect when I heard "we're going to a Georgian restaurant next week"... but now that we've gone I find myself thinking about it every so often. It wasn't JUST the food, or JUST the service. Surely each of those would merit 4+ stars on their own, but together this place blows my mind.

From the Ikra Badrijannaya ("poor man's caviar") and Khachapuri (Cheese Pie) for appetizers (did I mention there were 4 of us?), to the Chakhokhbili (Georgian Eagle), Sliced Leg of Lamb, Chanakhi (Lamb stew), Shashlik ("Hunter's Joy"-skewer), and finally to the Toad Sweat Ice Cream (with habanero chocolate sauce)... we were incredibly happy with every item brought out, and the server did his best to give us space, but keep his presentations entertaining (especially regarding dessert).

I'm fairly certain that if there was one we could have a do-over on, it would have been the skewer, but even that was really tasty.

If you like Russian/Georgian or any similar type of food, or if you're just looking to expand your culinary bubble, stop in here. It's incredible.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Readington, New Jersey
“Loved this food, dreamed about it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The atmosphere was different, with writing all over the walls - eclectic. The food was awesome, real, so many nice blends of flavor. We were visiting San Diego and friends took us here. We loved it so much we came back the next night for more. We all had shashtik (sp?), 3 of us had chicken, 1 of us combined chicken and lamb. The veggies and rice with it were awesome too, what a tasty blend. The other family had beef stroganoff and chicken tabaka. The tabaka was cool to see, presented on a plate with a moat of vodka on fire. We also tried the sampler salad with the other family, wine, black currant tea, and strawberry blini (crepes). Oh so good! The next night we came back without the other family, and the waitresses remembered us. We tried the borscht, then more shashtik, tabaka, and some chicken patties that I forget the name of. Another superb meal. If I lived here, this would be my once-a-week goto place.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lexington, Kentucky
“Excellent Russian Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I love Russian food, and since there is no Russian restaurant where we live, we seek them out whenever we travel. We are both huge fans of Russian dumplings - pelmeni and vareniki. Both were excellent, and the vareniki were the best I have ever had. The remainder of the meal did not disappoint, either. Everyone enjoyed their food, even the non-meat-eater amongst us. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and the service very good on the busy Saturday night. The only unusual thing for a Russian restaurant is that they only have a license to serve beer and wine, so they do not sell vodka. Regardless, we will definitely dine at this restaurant again the next time we are in San Diego.

Visited May 2013
San Diego, California
“Every bite was delicious, who knew Russian food would be so good?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went on a whim because we were feeling adventurous and wanted to try something different. We had the salad sampler which I highly recommend because you get an amazing array of different flavors to try. For our main course, the skewers (cooked over flames outside) and the lamb shank were fantastic. And can I just say Honey Cake?
We felt like we were at a family restaurant in Russia, clearly lots of regulars and a team of waiters who worked very hard to make our experience one to remember.

• Visited May 2013