“La Quinta was great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4610 De Soto Street, Interstate 5 and Balbo, San Diego, CA 92109   |
Ranked #107 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
“La Quinta was great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed there with my family for a short vacation and let me tell you the hotel was great! The rooms were clean, spacious, and beautiful. Love the new remodel btw! The lobby looks fantastic, the hotel itself is well kept, and the ACs in the rooms work exceptionally well.The breakfast was simple but good; from eggs and bacon to waffles and muffins plus some. The staff was amazing couldn't have asked for better. Lorena and micheal you guys were great thank you. Parking is a little tight and the location of the hotel is tricky, but other than that our stay at la Quinta was marvelous. My family and I are definitely coming back again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The staff is very nice. The breakfast isn't too bad and the choices are ok if you are not diabetic ;0)

The room was a decent size but next time I would definitely get two beds instead of one and the pullout sofa. The only thing about the pull out sofa bed is it can get put up at nigh and the second bed can't...Long story short it is cheaper than other hotels but just as good as far as quality in most cases.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Look. I frequent the LQ's. It started many years back when my company had an agreement with them for coporate travel, and has continued into me being an Elite member. Are they 5, 4, or sometimes even 3 star?? Maybe not....but whenever saving a buck is part of my travel, I choose them over Holiday, Comfort or Days Inn. That being said, I am well versed in many LQ's across the country. They have a good habit of picking up dying properties and revitalizing them (and they also have a collection of many 'duds' out there). The LQ at Mission Bay seems to be the latest project.

The location is superb. I usually stay at the LQ in Mission Valley, but I found this one to be equidistant from central San Diego, and closer to the beaches and North County. Pacific Beach & La Jolla are a VERY short drive away. However, finding the actual hotel can be a little tricky, if you don't have a clear plan of what you are doing and where you are going before you get there. In fact, unless you ensure you hang the QUICK LEFT on Damon Ave (if heading south on I-5), you will make U-turns. Unless you get off on Mission Bay Dr, instead of Garnet/Balboa (if heading north on I-5), you will make U-turns. And after all is said and done...unless you make sure to hang the immediate right after the freeway entrance (if heading west on Garnett/Balboa), after you go under the interstate overpass...YOU WILL MAKE U-TURNS. I messed up on my first try, but was savvy the rest of my stay. There is definitely a love-hate relationship with the location.

I checked in on a Sunday. I mention that, because the place seemed like a ghost town upon walk in. The lobby is very modernly decorated, but there was nobody around. I called out. I waited. I called out again. Nobody. Hmmmm. I wonder if there is any money in the cash register? LOL. Just kidding. Finally, the elevator door opens, and the front desk clerk comes through pushing a luggage cart. Okay...he was helping another guest. Forgiven.......but why aren't there more people to help?? So I check in and get in the elevator and there is some severe confusion on how the floors are numbered. Basically, the elevator buttons are programmed for G, 1, 2......while the floors are numbered differently 1,2,3, etc. Not a major issue, but just kind of leaves you confused at first, when you stare at an elevator button that has both a '1' and a '2' on it. Elevator door opens to my floor....and I have found all the employees!!! The hallway of my floor is crowded with cleaning carts, sheets, garbage. It was somewhat of an obstacle course to get to my room door. So far, the presentation upon check in has been horrendous.

Walking into my room.....all I could say is "Wow". Really. The room was very modernly decorated, smelled clean, and I really couldn't find a glaring flaw. So things started to offset a bit now.

All in all, I would stay at this LQ again....but I am hoping that LQ and the respective franchisee owner puts a little more oomph into the location. It looks great. It is probably the best LQ locale in San Diego....but it needs excellent management to make sure it stays ahead of the pack. In contrast, the people over at the LQ in Mission Valley have a much better feel of customer service and presentation. I've stayed over there close to ten times, and have really never experienced issues like I did here. My advice would be to choose this LQ the sooner the better, because I fear that poor management will allow this to fall off the 'renovated and posh' LQ list, and into the 'dud' one, I mentioned earlier.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Santa Rosa, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

For meeting up with family and friends who were staying in a vacation rental on Mission Bay, La Quinta was well located. The staff were very accomodating in finding us a quiet room. The room was big enough and well appointed with two queens. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the freeway are definitely quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Normally I have only nice things to say about LaQuinta, especially because of their pet policy. However, this LaQuinta is a total dump with a pretty awful staff. The hallway leading up to our room was filthy- stained carpets, candy wrappers and food on the floor. The room was super tiny, which in cities I know is pretty common. The problem was the room and bathroom were pretty grody. The sink was dirty and I'm not sure the toilet had been cleaned that day. The shower looked soap scummy. The sheets had a funny smell- not a detergent smell either. The biggest problem was the broken air conditioner. It was particularly humid that night and the AC was broken and we needed to keep the window open all night. Needless-to-say, it was very noisy outside. That combined with the heat made sleep impossible. The next morning while checking out the clerk asked if our stay went well. We explained about the broken airconditioner and she actually shrugged her shoulders. When I asked why she bothered to ask me how my stay was, she responded with, "What do you want me to do about it? It's not really my problem". This LaQuinta needs to get its act together. I would not recommend, unless you are desperate to find a room with a pet last minute. If not, move on, this dump is a waste of money.

Room Tip: Even though it is pet friendly, there is absolutely no where to walk your dog- No grass in site. We...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
SynergyHotelGroup, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback Jennifer,
We here at the La Quinta Inns & Suites Mission Bay apologize for the condition of your stay, I can assure you that we are training our staff with the highest customer care and service. We at La Quinta strive for Customer Satisfaction. Your feedback is helpful in ensuring that our staff is accountable for the quality of your stay. We have made many renovations and upgrades within the building in the last few months as well as a refresher training for our housekeeping staff to ensure the rooms are cleaned to perfection. We are also ensuring that our front desk staff are trained to answer any questions or concerns you may have and take any appropriate measures to ensure you leave with the matters resolved. We hope that you will find our hotel has made the approporiate fixes to your concerns and that you will come stay with us again.
Drogheda, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a nice basic hotel with free wifi.

The name might suggest to you that you are near the bay! This is not the case!!

Unless you have a car you will be paying for a taxi to go everywhere! Only place to eat within walking distance is McDonalds!

It is $15 in a taxi one way to pacific beach and nearly $40 to near downtown!!!

The staff here are v friendly and can't do enough to help you

• Stayed August 2012

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay? Share your experiences!