“Is no longer a Holiday Inn Express, but I would stay again.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay

You added La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay to your Saves list
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4610 De Soto Street, Interstate 5 and Balbo, San Diego, CA 92109   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #106 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
“Is no longer a Holiday Inn Express, but I would stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

I booked this hotel because it had a good rate structure compared to downtown San Diego or La Jolla hotels. (I really wanted to stay in La Jolla due to a business meeting, but the hotels there are very expensive.) I found and booked the hotel through the Holiday Inn website.

One day before arrival, I received a disturbing e-mail from Holiday Inn, advising me that the hotel was no longer affiliated with the Intercontinental hotel group. The hotel would still honor my reservation, but I couldn't earn Priority Club points. I didn't know what to think -- was I about to stay in a dive? Should I cancel the reservation? etc. I was in a big hurry to complete some projects in the office before my departure. After a quick call to the hotel to ensure that my 2-room reservation was still valid, I decided to hold my breath and go ahead with the original plan.

The hotel will become a La Quinta sometime around November-December 2011, according to what I was told by the staff. From now until then they will keep the existing bookings made through IC hotels, but for the most part they will have to hustle to fill the hotel. Don't worry. If you are looking for a budget hotel in that general location, you should have a pretty good experience. This hotel isn't a Marriott or a Hyatt, and its attractive rate structure clearly reflects that fact.

Our one-night stay turned out to be pretty good. The hotel is part of a small group of family-owned hotels (about 5 in the group, I believe). I found the front-desk staff to be friendly and exceptionally knowledgeable about the change in chain affiliation and about the other questions that they fielded from other guests and myself.

My room had been recently updated with a huge flat-screen TV (whose sound intermittently cut out, which would have annoyed me greatly if I had spent more time in the room). The bathroom and the room furnishings were pleasant. I didn't use the fridge or the microwave, but those were nice touches. The bed was very comfortable.

I expected noise to be a problem because the hotel is right next to I-5 and a busy road. With the room's fan blowing, I only heard minimal noise, so that turned out not to be a problem. I awoke early to drive to LA. At 6:00 a.m. I could already hear trucks and other vehicles. This wouldn't be the hotel of choice for a leisurely, late-morning type of stay, or if you're a very light sleeper.

The free breakfast buffet was acceptable, exactly what I would expect from a Holiday Inn Express (frankly not my favorite type of breakfast). The warm cinnamon buns were the best item.

Some reviewers have complained about the tight parking garage. To me this was a non-issue. OK, the garage is tight, so what? I have driven extensively in Europe, where space is at a premium. This is no different. If you want, you can park on the nearly deserted street next to the hotel. That's what my colleague and I did when we encountered a full lot after our late dinner.

Room Tip: The west side of the hotel would be the most quiet.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Chandler
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

The staff was pleasant and courteous. The rooms were clean and well-appointed. Comfortable beds, large rooms, decent breakfast. Being only a three story hotel, the elevator was painfully slow. Although close to Mission Bay and the beach, the traffic in the area makes for a slow jaunt to these places. But price was right.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Vienna, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

The staff puts out. Check-in and check-out were both breezes, and the room was clean indeed, while the folks working the complementary breakfast kept things going in an environment that had only bananas for fresh fruit to complement a pedestrian, though extensive, breakfast selection that did include yogurt and some thing that claimed it would make pancakes.
My principal traveling companion thought the bathroom did not feel cramped, though it was small; and the fact that there is more counter space just outside the bathroom door in what now holds the in-room coffee maker was appreciated. There are only three sets of towels, but a sign notes that pool patrons can get towels there.
Old fogey that I am, I did not like that the desk chair was right where the air conditioner was at its basically quiet best. Noting that normal people lay in bed with laptops, I'm sure the quality of my handwriting is such that no one noticed I jerry-rigged a writing platform at a bed's edge.
The HBO channel, and most of the rest of the approximately 45 working channels were correctly listed on the off-screen guide to the local array.
The main level parking areas were so cramped I regularly chose to back up onto the street rather than executing "W" turns. The lower level garage appeared refreshingly normal, though by using that garage one misses out on the main level garage baggage carts, and the fruit set out in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Northwest Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

The hotel was near the beach, Sea World and San Diego Zoo. Had a very nice breakfast. It was a little tight for 4 people and I wish there was another plug near the mirror in the room for getting ready in the morning but a nice room. One of the quietest hotel rooms I have ever been in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This was our first visit to San Diego, the hotel is located by the freeway close to Sea World. Noise wasn't an issue for us we didn't hear any freeway noise in our room.
The room was surprisingly large to what we had encountered thus far on our trip and appeared to be recently renovated.
Parking on site is predominatly under cover, the car park was well lit of a night but we found it quite tight to park and we were only driving a 2 door car. It would have been nice for the car park to have at least a security gate.

We took one tour from the hotel and were told we had to wait at the bottom of the rear driveway to be collected, At the bottom of the driveway was a group of men about 12-15 appeared to be homeless, not seeing homeless people where we are from its a little intimidating especially for my wife. They were harmless but none the less still a little intimidated.

We stayed there while comicon was on so prices were quite high, we felt we were paying a bit too much but we had to wear it because the whole town seemed to be booked out.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Mission Bay? Share your experiences!