“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Dana on Mission Bay

You added The Dana on Mission Bay to your Saves list
The Dana on Mission Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1710 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Ranked #89 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed here for 3 days as the penultimate stopping point on our west coast road trip. the reception area is well staffed and check in was a painless an efficient exercise. Being the 9th hotel room we had used on this vacation, whilst clean and well presented was the smallest room we had stayed in. the grounds and pools are very nice and although our children did not want to use it the video screening of a Disney film one evening at one of the pools is a good way for younger children to wind down. The hotel is located in an ideal spot for a casual stroll. on one of our mornings we were doing a whale watching trip. The boat was only a 10 minute walk from the hotel so no issues with parking etc. We also wanted to do sea world. The reception sells tickets and there is a free shuttle bus, however we had just missed one so decided to walk as it is only a 15 minute walk. The receptionist gave ver clear instructions and sure enough within 15 minutes we were in the park. All in all the hotel is in a great location, it is expensive but not when compared to equivalent hotels in the area

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Turkish first
Oak Grove, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This resort is killer, I might throw in a warning with that though. Stay in the new side I do not know how the older side is. Our room was right on the marina and the view was epic every night. The decor was updated and the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was huge and we never ran out of hot water, it had a cool sun tunnel so we rarely turned the light on during the day. The pool was great and the drinks were close, we got to know the waitress reallly well. San Diego is one of the greatest cities to travel to because of the proximity to a fantastic wine region (Ramona), and of course all the great beaches. The people are nice and the restaurants are top notch if you want a fantastic vacation put this place on your list. Enjoy

Room Tip: Stay in the new side there is an upcharge but I think it is worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I loved this beautiful resort hotel. My room had a magnificent view out onto the Bay, the service was excellent, the property is in a very beautiful location, and I left feeling deeply rested.

The hotel has good restaurants, and there are other good restaurants as well as an excellent cafe within walking distance.

What I loved most was being able to take the walking path along the water to relax between meetings taking place at the conference I was attending there.

Room Tip: There are so many lovely rooms there - looking out onto the water or with their own patios off the b...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I'm not going to lie I wasn't thrilled one bit. Carpet in our room looked absolutely filthy :( Also when I got home & checked my credit card statement I came to find some charges to the tune of $68USD which translates to $81.27CDN that I was not told about or expecting. The girl at the front desk told me I would NOT be charged anything above what I had already paid. I specifically asked this. I wont be going back & I'm quite angry about this actually.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Penhold, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was our first time staying in San Diego. We booked the Dana for 6 nights. We had a marina view. Rooms were immaculate. The grounds are impeccable. Gorgeous palm trees of all sizes are everywhere. Absolutely beautiful. Pools are cleaned daily. We did not rent a car, so we were frequent visitors to the two restaurants on site. The blue pearl and the firefly. The prices were reasonable, daily specials, and happy hour every day! Great deal. The staff were amazing and so personable especially the manager of the Blue Pearl. Free shuttles to Sea World, and we been asked for a drive to the beach and they ran us down at no cost. Although I didn't realize it is only a 15 min walk, lined with shops and restaurants. This is a great place to come for a relaxing vacation. The only negative thing I can even think of is the shortage of pool towels. So we just our room towels , easy fix. Shuttle to airport is 10$ a person but a maximum 20$. We didn't realize this so we took a cab upon arriving to San Diego and paid almost 30$. Shuttles run on the hour to the airport. So next time we will just call the Dana and take the shuttle both ways. There is 14$ daily resort fee, but honestly it's is fair. Includes wifi, fitness centre , shuttles, and I felt this was acceptable.

Room Tip: Next time I would choose a garden view... Simply gorgeous! The Bay View rooms have balcony and a vie...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I have lived in San Diego for over 13 years, and had never seen or heard of this hotel before. So recently when I was looking to get out of the house for a little romantic stay-cation I found this hotel via a popular travel website, and booked the room.

I cannot overstate how surprised and impressed I was upon my arrival. You never get a 2nd chance to make a first impression, and the first impression you get when walking into the lobby is that you are checking into a luxury 5-star resort. The lobby is beautiful, and the front desk staff was incredibly helpful, friendly, and informative.

The hotel look a little older, as if it were built in the late-70's or early-to-mid-80's, but it looks as if it has been very recently remodeled, and well maintained. The rooms are much larger than I have become used to in recent years. The bedding is very clean and comfortable. My room was smoke-free and included microwave and refrigerator, flat screen TVs, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, and bathrobes and slippers (and I'm told that these amenities are standard for *ALL ROOMS*). I was lucky enough to get a room that had balcony with sweeping view of the beautiful marina.

My only 2 complaints are very minor. I arrived at night, and the property is pretty large, comprised of many separate buildings, and the signage is very small, unlit, and difficult to see and follow. The air conditioner in the room was placed at the VERY BACK of the room, and due to the unusually large size of the room, it took a few hours for the A/C to cool the room.

The Firefly restaurant was very very good, with very friendly (and attractive) waitresses. The filet Mignon flatbread was AMAZING!!! The restaurant is located pool-side, and the pool is located just off the marina, allowing for beautiful views from both the restaurant and the pool.

The pool area is very beautiful. The pool is heated and very large, with 2 Jacuzzis, and everything seemed to be very clean, very well maintained. I can't say enough good things.

Room Tip: Due to the layout of the hotel, roughly 1/2 of the rooms have the marina view, and the other 1/2 hav...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Crystal, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at the Dana for three nights in October as the second part of our honeymoon. The room was nice--a little old but certainly not in bad condition.

The hotel has two restaurants--one for breakfast and one for lunch and dinner. Due to the fact that we didn't have a car, we made great use of both. The second restaurant has a great selection of San Diego local beers, which made me, a beer geek, really happy.

There were two pools as well. We used the one closer to our room a couple of times.

I would recommend that if you stay here, have a car. Despite the fact that it costs a bit to park there, it's not really close to the beach.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Dana on Mission Bay? Share your experiences!