“Great location, nice atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dana on Mission Bay

Save Saved
You added The Dana on Mission Bay to your Saves list
The Dana on Mission Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1710 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Ranked #96 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Arlington, TX
“Great location, nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at The Dana almost a week. We took the advice of other reviews and paid extra to stay in the remodeled section. We were on the 2nd floor with a private balcony overlooking the harbor. Great view! Rooms have marble counters, a small frig, microwave, wet bar, a safe and a single serve coffee maker. We asked for only regular coffee by the 2nd day and were promptly accommodated. The beds were a little too firm for my liking but the rest of my family thought they were fine. The location is convenient to the highways and very close to Sea World. They have a complimentary shuttle to and from Sea World. It was nice, you can see the nightly Sea World fireworks from the hotel. Two swimming pools. Every night they show " Dive in" movies at one of the pools - G or PG films appropriate for kids ie: UP!, High School Musical, Cars etc.

The staff are friendly and attentive. The property was well kept - nice sculptures in the front. There's a walking path around most of the property so bring your running gear. They also have equipment rentals on property - bikes, kayaks etc. There is a nightly parking charge of $18/ day but we received a 50% discount on parking since we were staying so long. We really enjoyed our time there. If we go back to San Diego, we would stay there again - definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Definitely pay extra for the newer addition!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

1,369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Let me start of by saying, The Dana is in a fantastic location, the rooms were great and the prices, while on the higher side, were okay, especially for the area. UNFORTUNATELY, 5 months after staying at The Dana I noticed a charge for $122 and change on my credit card...except, the night that charge was made, we were in an entirely different state!! Thinking it was just an error, I called the Dana and asked what this precise amount may be for...they informed me that was the charge for one night, inc. tax and fees. I explained that I visited their establishment for 5 nights earlier in the year but that we were not there on the night in question. The clerk was argumentative and stated I would have to speak with the accountant/manager in the morning. (I called on a weeknight.)

Although it was a relatively small amount, I called my credit card and they immediately transferred me to the security/fraud department. We put an alert on my card, and I started the process to officially report this. Let me say, this is a very inconvenient process to the consumer, but, as I was angry to think that such a well-known and "classy" hotel as The Dana did this, I went forward.

Over the next several days, I was contacted by the credit security department, at one time being asked if I would be willing to prosecute. They further explained that they had investigated other complaints from this hotel, and indicated that this may be a larger problem than just my piddly $122.....what a disappointment.

Lesson learned--I now have a "travel debit card" with the Visa symbol, on which I pre-load a certain amount of $$ for each trip. This not only keeps me on a budget but ensures no additional $$ can be stolen at a later date from felonious clerks!

Buyer Beware!

Room Tip: Be careful who you leave you credit card info with--even the nicest hotels hire criminals!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband got us a nights stay for our anniversary at the Dana. He said the pictures looked really nice and was excited that he had found what seemed like a fun place to stay on the water. We were fairly disappointed when we arrived. We paid close to $300 dollars for 1 night and the place seemed a step up from a motel stay. The location was great...right on the water and we did have close accessablilty to the rentals for the water. The linens were nice, the paint was nice as well as the furniture. They had brand new Kureg coffee makers although we don't drink coffee. Other than that, the place seemed run down on the outside. The rooms were small, the air conditioning units were in each room and you could see light coming in from around the unit. The TV had terrible reception. The walk way on the second level which is where our room was had places that felt as though you might fall through to the floor below. Won't be back to visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake Elmo, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed there with friends for Comic Con. Nice area. You're very close to Sea World, walking distance from Mission Beach and the ocean, along with restaurants and a small amusement park including an awesome roller coaster built in 1925.

The rooms were comfy and had a fridge and flat screen TV (though no HD or on screen guide). You can take taxis into the city but if you stay out here I'd recommend a car. My friends took their rental car on one day and my cab into the city was so expensive, I stopped it the moment we got in, then walked the ten blocks to my destination.

Breakfast was good if you pay for it. I spent less than $10 and had waffles, bacon, and juice. Pool looked nice but never used it. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This hotel was perfect for our family vacation with two little kids. We had a suite in the newer building with great views and plently of space. The pools were nice and never too crowded. perfect location and close to everything. We were able to sit in the grass outside our room and watch the fireworks from Sea World. We will stay here next time we are in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The hotel was located in a beautiful, quiet area. No need for a car, with a bus stop right outside of the property. Actually you were in walking distance from Belmont Park and Sea World. The grounds were beautiful, lush, quiet, and relaxing. Our room was great. Great views, great bed, and a beautiful bathroom. We were there for 5 nights and 6 days. The shuttle was quick to pick us up form the airport, we waited maybe 5 minutes. We got rained in one day and I have to say that getting to sit on the balcony, watch the rain and just relax in our beautiful spacious room was wonderful as well.

Room Tip: Stayed in the new addition. Beautiful, with a bit of history built right in.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Good rooms and location, especially if you want to go to Sea World. The pools are nice and in the summer you can see the fireworks from Sea World. It is a little pricy compared to other hotels, but itis a good location for sea world, and old town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Dana on Mission Bay? Share your experiences!