“Great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Dana on Mission Bay

You added The Dana on Mission Bay to your Saves list
The Dana on Mission Bay
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1710 West Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Ranked #88 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Gilbert, Arizona
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

We booked a marina view room at The Dana in early June. After an early morning drive from the Phoenix area, we arrived in San Diego to a traffic nightmare. A marathon was occuring right in the area of the hotel! After 1.5 hours on the freeway wihin 500 yards of our exit we made it to the beutiful grounds of The Dana. We were hoping they had a room available for early check-in and the girl at the counter did'nt dissapoint. We were given a secong floor marina view room in the original section of the hotel. The rooms are very small when configured with two beds like ours was. But we knew we would be out playing in the great San Diego weather and did'nt let it bother us. The room was clean, well kept, updated and cozy. The beds were very comfortable .This hotel property is one of the best locations in all of San Diego. The Dana is directly across the street from Sea World, and easily walkable with kids. You are also right near freeway interchanges which makes getting to other areas incredibly easy. Mission beach is located right down the street, and their are plenty of good places to eat nearby. Our experience here was great and we would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Request an upsatirs room as the buildings are a little older and noise carries easily.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Nov 1, 2011 saw us spending two nights at the dana - we arrived there after a 17hr flight and 3 hr drive.
1. The room was ok but there was no milk - this isnt provided, 2 tea bags and 1 coffee and 2 cups even though our room was booked for four people. We were told to try the restaurants for some milk.
2. No where was it advertised that you will be charged for parking and this cost was $18/dayor was i informed upon check in.
3. We inadvertently left our aussie adaptor plugged into the kitchenette with an iphone plug and this was taken as when the hotel was rung a few hours later they informed me it was not found by cleaners and the room could not be checked until the following tuesday. It was the following friday night that they rang me and said it could not be found.
4. The door to the bathroom fell off the top hinge after the first 24hrs it wasnt able to close properly.

Overall, our stay here was disappointing :( Out of everywhere we stayed this was the worst and it wasnt even that cheap.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Three perfect nights over the last school break. A great location with plenty to do both at the hotel and nearby. Staff was wonderful!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

My family stayed here for a 4-day summer vacation, and we loved it. The location was great: right on the bay and close to all the sights we visited. The price was great compared to other hotels in the area. The room was also big enough for 5 of us to stay in (2 kids). The on-site restaurant was mediocre. The fresh seafood at the boathouse across the street was great.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Roy, UT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My wife and I recently spent our 10 year anniversary at The Dana on Mission Bay. I want to review the hotel based on my experience trying to pick the hotel for our trip. I think this will help those of you looking at this hotel, but not sure if the rooms are nice or if you should up grade or not.

ROOMS

The Dana can be broken down into two parts: The older section and the newer section. As you may have noticed, many people love the newer section. I decided to take a chance and stay in the older section (even though many people said it was terrible). We stayed in the Marina Bay rooms, although ALL the standard rooms would be the same (you just would not have the same view). Despite what people have said, these rooms are EXACTLY as pictured. They were small, but very well kept and clean. I would not hesitate to stay in them again. Don't be afraid to get the standard rooms, unless space is an issue. If you want lots of room, then go with the deluxe rooms. Since we were gone all day anyways, the room was not an issue for us.

HOTEL

The hotel itself was beautiful. It had two good size pools and hot tubs. We found it very enjoyable to walk around the hotel grounds during the evening. It is also a 15 minute walk to Sea World, which was awesome. The entire staff was great to work with. The Blue pearl restaurant was very reasonable and had great food (we ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner, each one time). Overall, the hotel was perfect. Just what we wanted.

Some have mentioned that the hotel walls are very thin and you can hear everything. I had not such experience. I heard the other people's door shutting, but that was it. It is a HOTEL, not a single family home. Not sure what some people expect....

Wi-Fi is free and easy to access. It is great to check e-mail and other quick things, but not much else. I assume they keep slower for a reason.

Extra Charges / fees

Some things to note:

-They charge 9 dollars per person to use their shuttle from the airport. If you have a group of 3 or more, it would be cheaper to just take a taxi. Plus, since the taxis are right at the air port, and you don't have to wait for them, you would get their faster. My wife and I had a real problem with this. I think a small charge is reasonable, but 18 to get us to THEIR hotel was pretty ridiculous. Most hotels don't do that (atleast the ones I stayed at)

-They also charge 20 dollars a night to park. There are other parking lots/streets around, but I am not sure if I would trust them (especially since we had a rental). Our first two nights we did not have a car. Then we got a car the last two nights we were there. Not sure how, but they did not charge us for parking. Not sure if they just missed it or what. I was kind of glad since I think that is pretty ridiculous.

If you want to save money on buying food, there is a small bait shop / fishing store right by the hotel. They have sandwiches, chips, cereal, etc. It is a little bit pricey. Your best bet is a target store about 1.5 miles up the road. Easy to get too and can save you some money. Within 3-4 miles you have just about ANY restaurant you would want.

Transportation

As people have stated, there is a public transportation bus stop right in front of the hotel. We found that very useful to get to old town. It is only a ten minute right straight to the hub and old town is right across the train tracks. I had originally planned using the bus to get to other locations like the LDS temple, USS Midway, and Zoo. However, I found it would have taken 1-2 hours EACH WAY using the bus. That is assuming you get off at the right spot. Since I did not know much about San Diego, I decided not to use the bus to go very far. As stated it will take you anywhere, but I think it takes more time than it is worth. It cost less than 50 dollars for a rental car for 2 days. Well worth, since we drove to Universal Studios our last day their.

My overall impressions are good. The hotel itself is fantastic and exactly as pictured on their website. Don't be afraid to stay in the standard rooms, as long as you don't want lots of room. Try and avoid the extra fees of the shuttle and parking if you can. If you are going to sea world, don't rent a car that day. It can save you on parking. You will enjoy your stay at the Dana. We plan on taking the kids to Sea world next year, and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ALL the rooms are exactly as pictured. The less expensive rooms are very nice, but a little small.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

One of our favorite places to visit in the States is San Diego. Over the years we have stayed at various locations in San Diego. This year we stayed at the Dana. Are we ever glad we did. Great location, great amenities and great staff. Loved being on the Bay - so relaxing and peaceful - especially after a busy day at Sea World, the zoo, etc. This will be our choice from now on when we come to visit.

Room Tip: The next time we come we would like to stay overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

For the past 30 years, my wife and I have spent at least one week a year in San Diego. And probably for the past 20 years we've stayed at The Dana. It has a very relaxed and secluded feel about it while still being only a short distance from all of the area's major attractions. For me, it's Mission Beach being only a few blocks away that counts. The complex is beautifully kept, the rooms are comfortable and nicely furnished and the staff is always friendly and helpful. And with the hotel management so eager to make sure we're happy with our stays, we'll continue to make this an annual destination. Thank you Jennifer!

Room Tip: A Deluxe Bay View room is the best.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Dana on Mission Bay? Share your experiences!