“Location location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Shores Inn

You added Pacific Shores Inn to your Saves list
Pacific Shores Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4802 Mission Blvd., San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #170 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Colorado
“Location location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Booked this hotel/motel based on location of the beach access. I knew it probably wouldn't be the Waldorf but was nicely surprised but what it had to offer. Clean room in an older building. VERY little parking but they give you a pass to make sure you have a spot. The continental breakfast is very basic but it's there. Walking distance to lots of eateries/beach. Was here in November but if I needed airconditioning I think we would have been out of luck. The unit looked a little older than I do. The bathroom was partially updated but the room still needs some help.

Room Tip: Request a room in the newer section away from Mission Blvd. The noise isn't a big deal but it co...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
jimsilver, General Manager at Pacific Shores Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Actually, you may have been surprised. The a/c units need replacement about every three to four years with the ocean air hitting them. But, we are very happy you decided to stay with us when you did. We hope you will return again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Internet misrepresents this inn, which is more of a motel. The greatest thing about Pacific Shores Inn is the location, our room was 99 steps to Pacific Beach, we counted! A few things made this place average on our stay-
1. The walk-in closet had a burned out light despite the two requests to replace it.
2. The maids seemed not interested in getting the room cleaned and disregarded the "maid service" sign on the door.
3. The parking was full nearly every night. We could park but not close to our room.

Overall, a good, inexpensive place to spend the weekend and walk to the beach and nearby restaurants on Mission.

• Stayed November 2013
I would like to apologize for your light bulb. We do not have an excuse for this, and my maintenance staff will see your comments. Thank you. I think I will tell people about the 99 steps in the future! Thank you. We are always trying to improve!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at the Pacific Shores first week of November '13 ...appox. 6 mabybe 7 times now. Great rates (even in summer), the staff always ready to serve. Located next to the boardwalk ..you're at the north end of where most of the "action" is, yet removed from much of the noise.

Depending on the season and who you book with you'll pay between $65 - $230 ..a bargain when you see what the other places are charging and what you're getting for the cost.

When we're at the beach in San Deigo and not renting a house; it's the Pacific Shores.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you, and yes, we are very competitive with the local competition. And, if you are a return guest, the rates are almost always better depending on the time period you would like to stay with us. Thank you for your comments, and we look forward to your return with us!
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed at Pacific Shores in Nov. 2013. Yes, the location to the beach was great, within walking distance for sure, but there were things that did not meet our expectations or the advertised amenities. Listed was premium TV channels including HBO. According to the desk clerk, they have not had HBO for years. Continental breakfast was coffee, tea, juice and pastries. No fruit, no cereal, nothing else. Sorry but this does not constitute a continental breakfast. Wifi was not free but very pricey. I think you could find several hotels in this price range which would have better amenities. I tried to speak to the general manager but he was never available at this hotel. Also there is absolutely no counter space in the bathroom for any items you might need to use that you brought with. My partner and I were constantly juggling things around. The placement of the fridge and microwave was odd. They are in the closet right in the doorway. Perhaps an inferior decorator, tongue in cheek, is needed, Location was great as I said, but not much else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm sorry you did not like our property. We are constantly trying to improve every aspect of the property, from the rooms to the service. The WiFI service was changed to a much less expensive company with great customer service in regards to support when and if needed. I do apologize if I wasn't available, which is strange when I work every day. I hope you will try us again. Just contact me directly!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

This place is great. close to the action but just far enough north that it's quiet. maybe 5-6 blocks from Garnet (3 min walk). 2 blocks from Bareback, thrashers and Duck Dive.
hotel stretches from Mission Blvd all the way back but not beach front. plenty of parking. free OJ and donuts in the morning. rooms are clean and simple. I stay here every time in PB, great place and can't beat the price. parking is a big deal in PB..especially if hotel doesn't guarantee a spot.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
That's a pretty good description of our location in regards to some of the local places to eat in PB. Of course, there are so many others. But, yes, parking in PB is very difficult during some time periods, so parking at the property and walking is usually the best way to patronize them. If not, you could find yourself further away than you would have been in the first place. I know, because I have tried to cheat the system myself before! Thank you for your comments!
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The rooms were a good size and the beds were comfortable, but once you get outside it feels very cramped with cars everywhere (exhausts at your front door if you are downstairs). Very good location near the sea. The pool was supposedly heated - but it didn't feel like it. Wifi was not free - an anachronism these days. Hand rail in bathroom fell off during stay - seemed like a new bathroom but not great quality. There are car parking spaces marked out - but then you are told they don't actually mean anything anymore as they don't use them - confusing.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Yes, the parking is very tight almost every day when we are full. But, normally, we do find room for every vehicle. As for the renovation. There are definitely a few things that could be changed, but as for overall quality, in my opinion, it is very surprising to see the room! If you can forget about the cars down the middle of property, the room represents a much different idea! Thank you for your comments! We hope you will return.
Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

In a departure from my typical travel-with-wife world, I stayed here with a couple of friends and came away satisfied.

First and foremost, the price for a location that really is a couple minutes' walk to the ocean was tough to beat. For beach lovers, it's a walkable location, with plenty of great restaurants nearby as well as a selection of interesting shopping also within walking distance. For those with more touristy ambitions it's still well situated, a modest drive from San Diego's big attractions such as Sea World, the zoo as well as Downtown and Old Town.

The room we stayed in seemed to have been recently renovated and was generally quite nice. If I had to complain, I'd say we had a few flies and fruit flies in our room -- not a lot, but I think I swatted a couple of the little ones every day we were there. I suspect this isn't peculiar to the area as it's not the only place we encountered them.

Everyone I interacted with at the hotel was friendly -- my take on the service is that it was overall quite good. We did have an issue with towel replenishment, however. There were a couple of nights where we had to ask for them (we were told their washer was down) and they were provided without fuss.

WiFi came at an extra charge, so we didn't partake (seems unusual for a more motel-style property)... but free parking was a plus. I think we all occasionally picked at the free "breakfast" (aka - pastries and occasional muffins) over our stay, but with the excellent Kono's Surf Club Cafe nearby, we ate the majority of our morning meals there and skipped lunch.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
We are very happy that you were satisfied with your stay with us! But, the fly issue is not normal for us, and we were having trouble with all but one washer for about there weeks. We are sorry for that challenge. Everything is back to normal, and of course, that aspect of your stay would be even better than before. Thank you very much for your comments! And, we do recommend Kono's to so many guests!

Been to Pacific Shores Inn? Share your experiences!