“Rooms are clean .................” 3 of 5 stars

Bay Inn and Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3325 Midway Drive, San Diego, CA 92110   |
Ranked #231 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
“Rooms are clean .................”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here while doing some college tours over Labor Day. The rooms were clean but the carpet left your feet black and sticky (desperately in need of a cleaning). There is a strip club across the street, but no excessive noise. They should really invest in some Downy, the towels are like sandpaper. Central location and the office is very condescending when you have a question about something. They have in room coffee, but the breakfast coffee and snacks are much better. All in all, for what we needed the room for, it was fine.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Very negative experience here. Booked 2 queen beds and got there and room had only one bed. No other rooms were available, causing us to have to leave and look for another hotel which took hours due to everyone being full. Greedy staff threatened to call police on us if we didn't get out because they were trying to give the room to someone else, not knowing we prob were going to just stay there and try to make it work with just the one bed.

• Stayed August 2013
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The location is ok...yes, it's across the street from a strip club, but we didn't mind. There seemed to be no after hours traffic from the club to the hotel. I did travel with all adults so no kiddos were around to see the strip club so it wasn't a bother to us. The front desk staff was nice and accommodating to a late check out. The room was clean enough and had all the amenities. The beds were comfortable.This is not the nicest hotel ever, but the price was right and Sea World and Mission and Pacific Beaches were right down the street. I'd stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Hi jenniewhite,

Thanks so much for your review! We always appreciate feedback. You're right, we offer a great value at a fair price to our guests. When you stay with us, you'll also find access to some of San Diego's finest attractions is minutes away, rooms are comfortable, quiet and clean, and the hotel staff is ready to help you with whatever you need! We'd love for you to come visit us again. Feel free to email me directly if you'd like to make another reservation nicole@bayinnsandiego.com, I'd be more than happy to take care of you for your return.

Thanks again!
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I actually booked this place based on mostly positive reviews, but we had a horrible night. There was a profanity laced arguement between a guy staying at the hotel and what looked like one of the strip club dancers from across the street at about 9pm. We hadn't gone to bed yet for the night so we just tried to turn the TV up to block the noise from our kids (there was no remote for the TV). We were woke up at 3:30 am by yet another profane fight from 2 different guests out on the balcony. I called down to the front desk and they promptly took care of the problem. Another group of loud guys who sounded like they had been drinking were loudly talking and laughing until 5am. I didn't get any sleep past the point where we were first woken up at 3:30. In the morning we tried to make hot drinks, but the styrofoam cups that were provided had already been used....and not by us. I went to the front dest to get more and didn't even receive an apology, just a direction to where the breakfast room was where I could pick up more. We had originally booked two nights, but we cancelled our second night stay. The woman at the hotel desk couldn't have been less interested in our reasons for cutting our stay short. Very unfriendly. I have never written a bad hotel review before. We are on a budget and often stay at economy hotels when we travel so I don't feel like I have "Ritz" expectations....just a pleasant nights sleep in a clean room. I understand that every place will have an occasional rude or out-of-control guest who wakes others up.....but 3 in one night was a bit much...it made me wonder about what kind of guests book this place. I also don't expect groveling from those who work in the service industry, I understand mistakes happen to anyone, but to not once even get a simple apology seemed out right rude. We made last minute changes to our trip plans and high tailed it out of there. The next night we stayed someone $30 cheaper and 10 times nicer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hi MsRaeJ - You are right, you deserve an apology. I am so sorry you endured such bad night and were not treated with appropriate care - that is unacceptable. I'll tell you with sincerity that wild, loud guests are the exception to the rule. Those guests don't do us any favors - your review is proof of that - and we did ask several guests to leave this last week. Unfortunately, it sounds as though that happened too late. I am very sorry that you left as I know we could have made your stay better. The breakfast room is always stocked with clean cups, plates, napkins, etc. In fact, keeping a clean comfortable space for our guests is our number one priority. I am sorry that wasn't made clear when you were looking for cups at breakfast; I'm sorry you weren't treated the way you deserved to be. If ever we're missing something you're looking for - don't hesitate to ask us, as we'll do everything we can to get you what you need. Again, I am so sorry you had a bad experience and hope you will give us another shot. We are walking distance to lots of nice restaurants and minutes from great family fun - SeaWorld, the Zoo, Balboa Park, Mission Beach! Send me a note directly and I'd be happy to help you if you'd like to try us again. Or if you'd just like to tell me more about your experience so we can improve our service, please do: nicole@bayinnsandiego.com.
Thank you!
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

It's not the Ritz, but it's just fine for what we were looking for. We were in the area for a concert and this hotel is a short walk from the arena. Yes, the rooms are old and a bit run down but it was quiet, safe and, for the inexpensive rate we paid, I'm not complaining. There is a Target & Ralphs across the street, very convenient in case you forgot something or want to buy food/water to keep in the room fridge. There is an IHOP right next door so we didn't have a chance to check out the free continental breakfast that the hotel offered. The room itself was just big enough to fit the king size bed, night stands, a small desk and TV cabinet. I didn't notice the carpeting, like some of the other reviewers but I did notice the staples holding the wallpaper together in the bathroom. I had no problems sleeping on the bed, and I am one of those who always have difficulty sleeping in hotel beds, regardless of the hotel chain. There is a small in-room safe if you want to store your valuables when you are away. There are no ground level floors but at least the elevator was centralized to all the rooms. The parking is mostly covered, which I liked! Yes, it is directly across the street from a strip club but you'd never know it (no mention of nude girls or anything else that I would have been uncomfortable with if my son would have been with me). There were never people hanging outside the club, in fact, if there weren't cars in the parking lot, you would wonder if it was even open! We encountered two people at the front desk and both were friendly. Be prepared, there is an airport nearby so you will hear airplanes early in the morning but I imagine all hotels in the area have the same issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hi Cheryl B.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate all of the feedback. You do a great job describing here what makes our hotel an excellent choice for visitors to San Diego - we're in a safe area, walking distance to the Sports Arena, walking distance to great restaurants and shopping, and everyone you meet here will be nice, hospitable and warm. We would love to have you back here again the next time you're in town. Email me directly and I'll help you with your return guest reservation. Thanks again for staying with us!

All the best,
Ottawa Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Clerk was helpful, knowledgable. We arrived very late and he gave us recommendations for restaurants and places to go. The neighborhood may look questionable (we has heard of strip clubs around) but it was safe and quiet. For the money we spend this was great value. Would we book for a night again? Definitely. We ate at IHop next door and enjoyed our meal so can't comment on the breakfast offered.

• Stayed August 2012
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Stewartsix - thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We so appreciate our guests' feedback. How nice that you enjoyed yourselves (and saved some $ at the same time)! We are thrilled to hear that you took advantage of the IHOP next door and got some helpful tips from our late-night front desk staff. Everyone is really friendly, nice and happy to help our guests - at any time of the day or night. Our location is definitely convenient, so close to SeaWorld, Mission Beach and other fun SD attractions. And you're right, the neighborhood is safe and quiet. Again, we're so happy to hear you had a good time at a great value. We would love to have you as our guest again. Feel free to email me directly to set up your reservation - nicole@bayinnsandiego.com. Thanks again! Nicole
Takoma Park, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We were disappointed by this motel. The rooms were dirty and the grounds were no better. The continental breakfast consisted of watery coffee, no tea and very stale pastries. Better places within the same price range can be found nearby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
nscaglio, Manager at Bay Inn and Suites, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
CalMD_girl - Thanks so much for your review. I'm so, so sorry you did not have a good experience with us. We certainly don't like to hear that someone felt like they did not get great service or have an enjoyable stay. As we tell all of our guests, if there is something you need while you're staying with us, please let us know. Nothing should seem like it is not good enough, stale, unclean or uncomfortable. Of all of the parts of our hotel that we fixate on, it's cleanliness of the rooms. I am sorry that we were not up to your standards and I'd love to have you give us another chance. You can call the hotel directly and ask for me or email me here. I'd be happy to hear more about your experience so that we can ensure you have a great stay the next time you visit us: nicole@bayinnsandiego.com

Been to Bay Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!