“Loved the Bungalow and New Year's Eve Fireworks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

You added Bahia Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Bahia Resort Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   998 W Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off Direct with Bahia
Ranked #41 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Melbourne, Australia
“Loved the Bungalow and New Year's Eve Fireworks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

I had lived in downtown San Diego for 5 years so while back for a visit I didn't feel like paying top dollar to be in downtown since it would not feel that special for me.
For New Year's Eve we really wanted to find a mix of classic beachy vibe and yet still be able to walk to some entertainment for the night. We ended up staying at the Bahia and walking across the street to the beach and going to see a reggae concert at Cannes. The fireworks display at Mission Beach was beautiful and the location was perfect for what we envisioned.
For the price we didn't expect the hotel to be 4 star, so when we checked in we were pleasantly surprised when they upgraded us for free to one of their Bungalows. Our room had a lovely view of Mission Bay and the sunrise. Although the bathroom could definitely use updating, we were not after the 4 star experience so we didn't mind as it was clean. The great thing about the bungalow was that it felt like an apartment since it had a separate living room with comfortable couches and a gas fireplace which was wonderful to sit next to and have a drink during the evenings. The small kitchenette area with fridge was also an added bonus.
We would definitely stay here again provided we could get a good rate again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

we would recommend this hotel to everyone...we actually stayed at a 5 star resort on coronado island and cancelled the rest of our stay there to come back to the Bahia much more relaxing and friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
desert southwest extreme
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

Came here with 1 preteen and a teenager. Fabulous view of the fireworks from the Bahia Belle & went back to room and saw the Sea World fireworks. The room is spacious with kichenette breakfast bar and dining table. Walking distance to the beach and Belmont park. Private marina very nice and safe for children. The restaurant is fair to good. Will stay here again very comfortable and nice for families with children because there is lots to do. Pool is small given the amount of rooms but marina and beach are alternatives

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

Having recentley returned from a weeks stay at the Bahia I felt it important to add my positive review as it is so easy to critise and complain these days.
We had a wonderful time with no complaints at all.
Thje room was on the 4th floor with brilliant views accross the bay..clean and spacious it was cool, airy and had a good size balcony to enjoy the sunsets with a glass of chilled white wine.
All the staff we encountered were of the highest possible standard and made our stay so very memorable.
It was 31 years ago as a young boy that I visited San Diego, celebrating my 50th birthday at the Bahia was well worth the return.
I read with interest other less complementory reviews...these were certainley not our findings..as experienced travellers from the UK we were highly delighted with the value for money and would recommend to other UK visitors.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Oak Hills, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

The Good: The front desk clerk was wonderful! We arrived 2 hours before the 4pm check-in time thinking we would just walk along their private beach. We were told our room was ready, but if we wanted a free upgrade to a room with a view of the bay we could wait. Less than 30 minutes later, we were sitting on our "porch" overlooking the bay, the paddleboat, and Belmont Park!

The Bad: A) The old, dingy room with an overpowering smell of disinfectant. B) The nonexistent poolside bar and grill. C) The "adults only" paddleboat cruise dance band (which comprised of one guitarist). Since we always read tripadvisor prior to traveling, we were pretty much prepared for this. What I wasn't expecting was a damp carpet or having to listen to 3 "fussy" toddlers in the adjoining room OR a happy hour bartender who didn't know how to make a strawberry daiquiri.

The Ugly: We booked at the Bahia because of a deal found on Travel-ticker.com. (They offered one night and a complimentary breakfast for two for $99.) In the morning, we were shocked to find that the Bahia refused to honor the complimentary breakfast! They acknowledged that we had indeed booked online with travel-ticker, but they said we had NOT clicked the section which included breakfast. Once I got home, I double checked the reservation system...there is NO section mentioning breakfast!

If you want a pretty "cheap" room in San Diego (and you can interpret "cheap" anyway you want), go ahead a book for one night. But if you expect a nice resort with management who advertise (and honor) special deals, be prepared for the old bait and switch game!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Great place to vacation. Worth every penny! Great location right on the bay, and minutes from Sea World, Old Town, Gaslamp, etc.
The food and service was excellent. Especially the Tangier bar/lounge.
Late night amenities are always great. Pool, jacuzzi, arcade, and a fitness center.
Although the rooms could use a little "handy-man" servicing, i'd say it was a good night's sleep. Very comfortable beds, and a GREAT view. . . that is if you get a bayfront room.
All-in-all, its a great place to visit!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chandler , AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Just got back in town from a 4 day 3 night stay at the Bahia . Before I start with this review allow me to tell you that I am your average 40 hour a week worker . Not rich , not poor . Just middle class family man . So if you fall into this category then this review is perfect for you .........

You ( like I did ) probably read all these reviews about the Bahia , and probably had your head spinning trying to figure out what to believe . I will put all the questions to rest . The staff seemed fairly friendly . In all honesty other than checking in/out you never see them again . We paid $118 a night for 3 nights to stay in a garden view suite with a kitchen room 480 .

The Room itself .......... Met all my expectations and then some . Very very clean . Nothing wrong with it at all . Very good sized . In fact you can spend more money on a Bay view suite ( which is on the other side of the hallway facing the bay ) , but to be honest with you its not necessary . From our room you could see a long stretch of the beach anyway . So not really feasable to pay for the upgrade unless you MUST see nothing but water .
If there is one thing that one could argue its the size of the bathroom . You literally have room to stand in the bathroom , or jump in the shower . They chose to make the living space larger and a smaller bathroom instead which didnt really bother me , but some people may be annoyed with it . The shower was a bit odd cause the shower head was literally at neck level . I am only 5-9 so I know its not because I am tall . lol I had to duck down a bit to wash my hair . Again not really a deal breaker when judging a room to me . I care more about size , and cleanliness which this room far exceeded my expectations after reading all those reviews .
One thing I will say is that you will see a lot of reviews that claim an "odor" . I cannot pinpoint it , but when you first walk into your room there is a odor . Not a good smell , but not a bad smell either . The best I can explain is that I have stayed in beach front hotels in Maine , and N.H. before , and it honestly just seems to be a smell that comes with an ocean front hotel . So anyone familiar with the beach can probably relate to what I mean . If it was a terrible smell I would have said something , but it just smelled beachy !

The Grounds ......
Pretty darn good I must say . Now I dont want to say flawless like the Hawaii resort I once stayed at , but very nice surrounding features without a doubt . Lots of tropical plants , palms , flowers etc..... And everything from what I saw was well maintained and clean .

The Beach ..........
The beach was great . You are a 10 minute walk or a 2 minute car drive to the main beach with the waves , stores , shops etc... or if you just stay on site you are on a nice secluded sandy beach where the peninsula ends . We took the kids for a walk every morning and evening , and saw maybe 5 people total . The water is also a tad bit warmer there than the main beach .

The Bahia was a great stay for us . I would rate it a 8 star of out 10 . Again its not Maui , but considering the fact that we have stayed at hotels in hotel circle for $150 a night . I would take the Bahia over those places at the price we paid in a heartbeat . Definitely above average stay . Great food , very nice room , and pretty cool beach too . If you have any questions about this resort , or the surrounding area please feel free to email me at Chowdahead76@yahoo.com

We were here for a vacation with the kids that included the beach , Disneyland , California Adventure Park , and Seaworld . So we are familiar with the area if you have any questions .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Bahia Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!