“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

You added Bahia Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Bahia Resort Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   998 W Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off Direct with Bahia
Ranked #40 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Oak Hills, CA
“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

The Good: The front desk clerk was wonderful! We arrived 2 hours before the 4pm check-in time thinking we would just walk along their private beach. We were told our room was ready, but if we wanted a free upgrade to a room with a view of the bay we could wait. Less than 30 minutes later, we were sitting on our "porch" overlooking the bay, the paddleboat, and Belmont Park!

The Bad: A) The old, dingy room with an overpowering smell of disinfectant. B) The nonexistent poolside bar and grill. C) The "adults only" paddleboat cruise dance band (which comprised of one guitarist). Since we always read tripadvisor prior to traveling, we were pretty much prepared for this. What I wasn't expecting was a damp carpet or having to listen to 3 "fussy" toddlers in the adjoining room OR a happy hour bartender who didn't know how to make a strawberry daiquiri.

The Ugly: We booked at the Bahia because of a deal found on Travel-ticker.com. (They offered one night and a complimentary breakfast for two for $99.) In the morning, we were shocked to find that the Bahia refused to honor the complimentary breakfast! They acknowledged that we had indeed booked online with travel-ticker, but they said we had NOT clicked the section which included breakfast. Once I got home, I double checked the reservation system...there is NO section mentioning breakfast!

If you want a pretty "cheap" room in San Diego (and you can interpret "cheap" anyway you want), go ahead a book for one night. But if you expect a nice resort with management who advertise (and honor) special deals, be prepared for the old bait and switch game!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

Great place to vacation. Worth every penny! Great location right on the bay, and minutes from Sea World, Old Town, Gaslamp, etc.
The food and service was excellent. Especially the Tangier bar/lounge.
Late night amenities are always great. Pool, jacuzzi, arcade, and a fitness center.
Although the rooms could use a little "handy-man" servicing, i'd say it was a good night's sleep. Very comfortable beds, and a GREAT view. . . that is if you get a bayfront room.
All-in-all, its a great place to visit!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Chandler , AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

Just got back in town from a 4 day 3 night stay at the Bahia . Before I start with this review allow me to tell you that I am your average 40 hour a week worker . Not rich , not poor . Just middle class family man . So if you fall into this category then this review is perfect for you .........

You ( like I did ) probably read all these reviews about the Bahia , and probably had your head spinning trying to figure out what to believe . I will put all the questions to rest . The staff seemed fairly friendly . In all honesty other than checking in/out you never see them again . We paid $118 a night for 3 nights to stay in a garden view suite with a kitchen room 480 .

The Room itself .......... Met all my expectations and then some . Very very clean . Nothing wrong with it at all . Very good sized . In fact you can spend more money on a Bay view suite ( which is on the other side of the hallway facing the bay ) , but to be honest with you its not necessary . From our room you could see a long stretch of the beach anyway . So not really feasable to pay for the upgrade unless you MUST see nothing but water .
If there is one thing that one could argue its the size of the bathroom . You literally have room to stand in the bathroom , or jump in the shower . They chose to make the living space larger and a smaller bathroom instead which didnt really bother me , but some people may be annoyed with it . The shower was a bit odd cause the shower head was literally at neck level . I am only 5-9 so I know its not because I am tall . lol I had to duck down a bit to wash my hair . Again not really a deal breaker when judging a room to me . I care more about size , and cleanliness which this room far exceeded my expectations after reading all those reviews .
One thing I will say is that you will see a lot of reviews that claim an "odor" . I cannot pinpoint it , but when you first walk into your room there is a odor . Not a good smell , but not a bad smell either . The best I can explain is that I have stayed in beach front hotels in Maine , and N.H. before , and it honestly just seems to be a smell that comes with an ocean front hotel . So anyone familiar with the beach can probably relate to what I mean . If it was a terrible smell I would have said something , but it just smelled beachy !

The Grounds ......
Pretty darn good I must say . Now I dont want to say flawless like the Hawaii resort I once stayed at , but very nice surrounding features without a doubt . Lots of tropical plants , palms , flowers etc..... And everything from what I saw was well maintained and clean .

The Beach ..........
The beach was great . You are a 10 minute walk or a 2 minute car drive to the main beach with the waves , stores , shops etc... or if you just stay on site you are on a nice secluded sandy beach where the peninsula ends . We took the kids for a walk every morning and evening , and saw maybe 5 people total . The water is also a tad bit warmer there than the main beach .

The Bahia was a great stay for us . I would rate it a 8 star of out 10 . Again its not Maui , but considering the fact that we have stayed at hotels in hotel circle for $150 a night . I would take the Bahia over those places at the price we paid in a heartbeat . Definitely above average stay . Great food , very nice room , and pretty cool beach too . If you have any questions about this resort , or the surrounding area please feel free to email me at Chowdahead76@yahoo.com

We were here for a vacation with the kids that included the beach , Disneyland , California Adventure Park , and Seaworld . So we are familiar with the area if you have any questions .

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

This is not a resort on the beach. This is a motel on a marina. And not a very good motel since the rooms and the grounds are nothing to write home about. I have nothing against average motels but they should not be claiming to be something they are clearly not. I wanted to have a nice vacation, and looking at their web site I figured this would be nice. In my experience 200 bucks per night should get you something good. The only good thing about this place is the location - 2 blocks from Mission Beach, but you can get that for half the money. If you are looking for something decent skip this place. I have wasted my vacation so you don't have to waste yours. You're welcome.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

We spent 400 on two nights ...We were happy with the place real clean and close to sea world and Beach..we would definitely come back....location looks a a little outdated inside but for the price it is a nice location and very safe and clean

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Pueblo West, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Had a awesome experiance with my family at the Bahia. Amusement park, OCEAN Beach across the street for young and old. Boating, bikerentals, you name it you can do it there in the area the Bahia is located. We stayed a week-lots of beach time for us. Watch the sunset on the ocean and 5-10 min. walk to room. Mission tour was complemented by conciere from Banquet, awesome young man who knew the area and info. Hornblower tour (whale watching), mission tour, San Diego Zoo, Cornado beach, and Lego Land. We did seaworld two years prior, we wanted to see more of the beautiful city of San Diego. Tip wondering what to do take the Mission Tour Trolly to see what San Diego has to offer, then go for it. Try to ride with Bill awesome guide. We regret we couldnt stay another week, but there is next year. Military go to the MVR at the Naval post for huge discounts, we made many trips for tickets, Even Lego Land for the 8yr old. 13 year old loved the beach, again as we did. Bahia would be the first place for stay again, one of a kind GEM, with one of a Kind Staff. Worth every penny. If you dont like your room they will make it right, they have nearly 360 degree view of the Mission Bay. They will make it right. Thanks again to Mr. Banquet, and Supervisor Mgr. Lady sorry I forgot your name, but your kindness was great and we thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

We were looking for a good rate with three young kids and found that the Bahia's rates were in line of what we were looking for. The service was good and always tried hard to help us. The room and resort show there age but the location to Seaworld and Mission Beach were great. It was only about 40 minutes to Legoland and freeway acess was easy. The room was very dated but clean. Limted TV channels for children viewing was disapointing. I would not suggest the cafe for dinner as the food was tasteless. There are many good options on Mission blvd for food. Overall its a good value if you are spending most of your time outside of the room.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Bahia Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!