“I think you could get a better deal elsewhere” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

You added Bahia Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Bahia Resort Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   998 W Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
15% off Direct with Bahia
Ranked #40 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“I think you could get a better deal elsewhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

We prepaid for three nights here but wish we'd only spent one night here.

Pro's: we could park right at our door so we didn't have to walk far with our luggage. The view was nice from our bed onto the bay (we stayed in room 111). Close to the beach, and Seaworld, only a couple blocks away.

Con's: there was a tiny sink with mini-counter with dim lighting, so not great for getting ready. The carpets were very old, dirty, and could stand a cleaning. The bed was very swayed, like with a big dent in the middle, so you couldn't lay flat, which made for a sore back in the mornings. The patio doors were very hard to open/close/lock and didn't come with screens or sheers, only blackout curtains, so if you wanted light you had to rely on very old yellowish lightbulbs, or be open to everyone walking past to view your room. When you move on the bed, the lights would flicker, depending on where the cord was. The TV was small, old, and in a bad spot - right up next to your head, so you had to really turn your head to watch tv. the bedspreads were really really old and I didn't even want to sit on it, I don't know when they were last cleaned. One day we didn't receive any maid service, but we didn't really mind that much since we had lots of towels. The toilet ran until you jiggled the handle, which makes it feel like home I guess. hahaha. We could hear the people in the next room word for word since the walls were so thin.

The pool was okayyyyyy, but nothing special. Just a little square pool. Although there was a big hottub area, but it always seemed to be full of kids.

I would never recommend this place for the price they charged. We checked out and went to the Westin and paid less. For this place we paid $134/night for the bay view room. It's in serious need of a complete overhaul.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
Beautiful Western Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

I used to live in the San Diego area, but not at the beach--too expensive. Because of traffic/parking problems I almost never went to the beach either. Spent 17 years wishing I could be a carefree tourist at the beach. This trip was the perfect opportunity to make it happen. I had never seen the Bahia. I picked it for its location and the Bahia Belle. I also wanted a place with the relaxed atmosphere of the the older San Diego I remember. From day 1 I was never disappointed. My parking space was just steps from the front door. I had a single-story King bayfront room. It was uncrowded and had the usual nice motel-room furnishings, but with its own private patio and beach it felt more like a beach bungalow. The wall facing the beach and bay was all glass. With the door opened all the sounds, sights, and wonderful smell of the beach were right there. What a view!(See pic). Now for details.
Room--Very clean with all amenities in perfect working order.
Bathroom--Very clean. Great shower. Almost instant hot water. Lovely lime/vanilla shampoo & conditioner, milled bar soap. Oodles of thick white towels. Had its own window!
Closet--Ironing board, iron, hair dryer,MORE bed and bath linens.
Noise--Very quiet . The only adjoining room was a day-use utility room.
Staff--The best. Always courteous, responsive,non-intrusive.
Grounds--Immaculately maintained.Beach sand combed.Lounge chairs cleaned daily. Beautiful flowering plants everywhere.Amazing twisted-trunk trees too.(see pic).Grass smartly clipped. No trash anywhere. Loved the swingset on the beach!
Activities--So many choices!Paddle Boats,sailboats,bicycles,tennis, just to name a few.
Pool--BIG!Very Clean.When I walked in I was immediately handed a towel by the attendant. Many,many lounges.
Business Ctr.--Staffer was only too happy to sit me down to a computer so I could do airline check-in and print boarding pass--at no charge to me.
Bahia Belle--Such fun to ride around Mission Bay. Bar and live band. Nice dance floor too. Free tickets provided at check-in.
Yes, this is an older hotel. But there is nothing shabby about it. If you want a sterile, corporate hotel with truffles on the pillow and turndown service, go elsewhere.
I wish I could return there tomorrow.

Vallejo, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

On the first night, we went to the buffet and we didn't like being seated outside in the back and in the dark (I would also like to add that we were the only black family there)while old white people glared at us as if we didn't belong there. There were plenty of places that were well lit, toward the front, and not reserved so we just ended up leaving to get tacos. Also, when I went into their on site store to buy some things, the manager who worked in the store totally ignored me (she wouldn't even make eye contact), but spoke to all of the white patrons who came in after me. Overall, this place sucked; it had an old musty smell, no A/C, the floormats in the shower were dirty and mildewed. It was also infested with ants. We were given the wrong room; we were promised a beachfront room and ended up getting a view of the back parking lot. The place had an overall creepiness to it and they should be ashamed of themselves to charge people so much to stay 2 seconds in that dump!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
san diiego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

My husband and I went for our 1 year anniversary. We wanted to enjoy ourselves and have a relaxing time. We couldn't have picked a nicer spot. Our room was so nice and comfortable, it was better then we expected!!!

We spent a lot of time by the pool drinking Margarita's which were very tasty!!! Our suite was facing the Marina and we were able to see the Bahia Belle come and go in the evening, it was a beautiful view.

We only ate breakfast at the cafe and the buffet was awesome, we were saying how we would go back and eat even if we arent staying at the hotel!!!

We had such a wonderful time that we plan on going back in October for my Birthday!!! I would recommend this hotel for a couple wanting a nice relaxing time or even a family wanting a fun vacation, lots to do and great location.......

Leticia Serrano

Cerritos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

Whatever you do, make sure you are not staying in a garden view room. Me and my boyfriend paid $160 for the night (tonight) and when walking into the garden area I was getting worried. Pink little bungalows that made me feel like I was entering a janitor's closet. I do alot of traveling and am never picky about rooms as long as they are clean! When we entered the room every thing was out of date and the room smelt of urine. The carpet was very unclean, I did not even want to remove my shoes. The bathroom was covered in mold and the bed spread looked and felt 30 years old. I have stayed in hostels much nicer than this and would rather of paid $60 to stay at a Motel 6. We were very disappointed and asked to get a refund. The man at the front desk had no problem refunding our money even though they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. So we gathered this must happen alot. Thankfully we only live 2 hours away and were able to return home. The bay view rooms (which are the ones they advertise online) look nicer and they are in a completely different building. I can not recommend this to anyone. The price is ridiculous for such unclean rooms.

Palm Springs, Ca.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We travel to San Diego quite a bit. We have family that live there. It was always hard to find a hotel in our price range that was as nice and clean as we liked. That is until we found the Bahia Resort. We used to travel around San Diego and visit family. Now the family visits us at the Bahia. We hardly ever have to leave the Hotel. The food is excellent. The Tangier bar is excellent and the beach is excellent!!! The hotel is always clean and the staff is always very polite and helpful. We will not be staying anywhere else when we come to San Diego.! We always stay in either the garden or bay view studio. They are very large and the view is great. The Bahia is the best value for the money.

So Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

Great place to stay! Paid for one night in garden room and next in bay view studio and got a free upgrade to the studio for both nights. Bay view room seemed newly renovated. Seemed like the garden view rooms may be a bit outdated and older. Friendly staff and great service. They don't charge for parking, wireless or the arcade games! Decent sized heated pool and largest spa I've ever seen (33 ppl. max). Seal pool is awesome, they have rescued two blind seals who are adorable. Steps away from the beach and a few min. bike ride or walk to restaurants and shops. Hotel restaurant has great food and service. Very laid back atmosphere, with lots of things to do to keep you busy. The hotel boat was nice as well! Great weekend getaway and would be a great place for kids and families! Very close to seaworld, able to see fireworks from balcony. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Bahia Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!