“Bahia SD vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bahia Resort Hotel

You added Bahia Resort Hotel to your Saves list
Bahia Resort Hotel
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   998 W Mission Bay Dr, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Beach)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
Up to 15% Off Room Rate
Ranked #44 of 272 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
“Bahia SD vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

30+ guests at the resort for 2 days without a hitch. Restaurant was able to seat 25 within 15min. Excellent food. Tangier Bar, karaoke nite was a blast. Marina Suite rooms very quiet - Overall fantastic experience .

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Came here with my family for mine and my mothers birthday. We had booked a bay view room which we they had sad was part of the building behind the bay front rooms. They upgraded us though do to it being their to celebrate birthdays. The front desk also gave us a card signed by them and a wine cheese platter as a complimentary gift. We picked up a box of and it wine for the gift shop which was amazing, I typically refuse to drink box wine. We also rented a sailboat at their rental spot, and it was really reasonable and the guys were helpful. Overall, this resort is very accommodating, they go the extra mile, and I would absolute stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The Bahia was excellent in providing the guests of my wedding with exceptional care. My guests loved the service, rooms, and views! In addition, they enjoyed the location and close proximity to the beaches! The staff kept in correspondence with me during the planning of my wedding and were extremely helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Went to the Bahia in August and really enjoyed the hotel's Brazilian Carnaval held each Thursday evening throughout the summer. The hotel provided an overall experience that was thoroughly enjoyable.

The food was excellent. My husband is a native of South America and he particularly enjoyed the grilled churrasco beef with chimichurri. It was authentic and Brazilian without being too over the top for the less adventurous. Wonderful buffet overall.

The entertainment was another highlight with live music, dancing and a nicely put together program. The pretty showgirl element was entertaining without crossing the line and they had some fun intervals of audience participation.

The location was a tremendous asset. We had a wonderful view, dining right next to the bay, throughout the evening and it was truly a signature San Diego summer experience.

My only regret was that I didn't think to take the children because they did put touches in throughout the evening that my 3 would have enjoyed enormously, including a special kids buffet area and efforts by the entertainers to involve them in the entertainment.

The Carnaval was a large event, but not too large, which added to the enjoyment. It is suitable for couples, families, and even groups. I was at the hotel as part of a group and they were very well set up for this -- with signs indicating our group at tables and staff who asked when we arrived whether we were with a group that knew where various groups had been placed. Thanks very much to the Bahia staff, particularly the excellent Rebecca Baumwirt whose efforts for our group helped make it a wonderful group evening. She is a gracious professional and several members of our party commented to me positively on her responsibility for making this a great event for our group.

I definitely recommend this and hope to return next summer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Before I book a hotel, I always look at Tripadvisor and read the reviews. I am really surprised at all of the positive reviews this hotel received. We stayed in a studio with 2 full beds at the far end of the property overlooking the parking lot and Bay. The entire building needs a major renovation. The carpet in the hallways was ugly and dirty and the building smelled "old". We got to our room on the 3rd floor and the smell upon entering was awful and never went away after our 6 day stay. The carpet in the room was filthy and in need of a good shampoo. The carpet on the patio was wet the entire time we were there. There was rust on the tub and bathroom door frame and the wallpaper everywhere was peeling. The sofa was stained and old. The parking lot that we faced was public so people would come and set up their RVs for the day. Weekends are particularly popular so if you are looking for a private resort, this is not the place. Security is a concern as the public has easy access to the building since the doors do not require a room key day or night.

On the plus side. The location is great. We had our bikes with us and biked on the paths along the bay and the ocean boardwalk. We brought our paddle board and loved paddling around the bay. We walked the 2 blocks to the ocean to boogie board. And rode our bikes to dinner every night.

The housekeeping and maintenance staff were great. If we called for anything they came immediately. And were always very friendly.

We tried several times to change our room to one of the newer renovated rooms but with no success. All of the nicer hotels in the area were booked so we were unable to switch hotels. The price of the room for what we got was unacceptable.

This resort seems geared toward weddings, bachelor parties, and families with young children. Everyone else should proceed with caution.

Room Tip: Avoid the towers. Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Traveling CA, Manager at Bahia Resort Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for writing in and we appreciate you pointing out both the positive and negative of your experience with us. We apologize you encountered was not what you expected. All of our rooms go through preventative maintenance program several times a year. We are attending to the room you were in so future guests don't have to worry about the same issues. The resort is indeed located in a vibrant area of Mission Bay, where locals enjoy visiting. That said, we have 24-hour security on property that continuously makes its rounds. The comfort and safety of our guests is our No. 1 priority. We hope you'll come back and visit us should your travels take you to San Diego again.
Rancho Bernardo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We are San Diego locals. We went to a Brazilian Carnival show at the Bahia recently. We were very pleased by the show and the food. Warm San Diego August evening on the beach and sunset views made a perfect ambiance. The event host Rebecca was very professional yet much paying attention to detail and making sure everyone in our group was having a good time.

I would recommend this event and also the resort. On pour way in we noted that they have a large pool good for laps, tennis courts, and a gym.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

If you're a business traveller don't stay here, you'll be annoyed.

The staff at this Hotel are very friendly and nice but there seems to me to be a systems problem. My guess is a management problem.

I recently was booked to stay here for a conference at the same hotel.

Check in was later than the 4pm time. When we finally got a room at 530 it was the wrong bedding configuration. Frustrating as we checked In off an Intl flight at 10am. it had 2 beds on the booking but we only got a king.

At this stage there was no other room available. I was offered an upgrade by the front office to one of their suites, but it was a dated bland room. The price I was paying was the same as a Westin so that was not appropriate for me.

Like I said the staff were nice and they let me check out without penalty.

So, we then have the conference on the paddle steamer boat. Nice sounding venue.

Last minute the hotel informs the organiser of a booking issue and we'd have to move to a room for Day 1. All good, no problems.

Then it gets changed back last minute. nice, but another change, some people don't get the emails in time, confused attendees.

Then on day 3 we get told, sorry we need the boat tonight so you have to remove all of the AV gear out.

A little poor. It takes 2 hours of camera and sound set up.

The air conditioning on the boat is not ambient, it was freezing in parts and warm on others.

At one of the dinners I asked one of the drinks people who's in charge, they said, no ones in charge, that's the problem.

So, as horrible as all this sounds,my management brain tells me there is a management and systems/process issue at this Hotel.

It was 100% occupied so revenue is strong but customer experience is not matching at the same level.

Glad I checked out. Glad I Uber'd to the venue everyday. It was worth the extra $30 a day.

Probably good for a low key family holiday with the kids as it's right on the bay, but didn't cut it for an organised business person.

Staff super friendly but get the feeling they are a little neglected and not fully supported by good training and management systems.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
We apologize your experience with us as a business traveler was anything less than exceptional. You have pointed out a handful of breakdowns in communication on our behalf and we are currently taking a look at our systems to make sure something like this never happens again. Communication is obviously most important any time you organize an event, and we could have done better. We do have outstanding sales and catering teams, who are passionate about what they do, and we will use your comments as a reminder going forward to ensure no stone goes unturned during the planning and execution of events.

Been to Bahia Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!