“Very nice hotel. Staff was helpful.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #167 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Pittsburg, Kansas, United States
“Very nice hotel. Staff was helpful.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is not a top end hotel, but it was clean and the staff was helpful. The restaurant on site is not family friendly and in fact, I wouldn't rate the hotel in general as being particularly family friendly, but it is a place to stay. TV was nice and pool was useful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Charlie H, General Manager at Ramada San Diego North Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
I want to thank you William for your comments and I am glad you found our hotel very nice and that the staff we helpful, I will be sure to let them know about your review.

Again thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This used to be The Sands and likely enjoyed its heyday when Gary Lewis & The Playboys had a number one hit. Today, our "non-smoking" room had that oh-so-familiar been-smoked-in-for-years aroma, and the air in the room felt damp and musty. The A/C unit went all night, just to keep air moving (but never shut off automatically after a certain temp reached). We had air, but for a cost (constant, loud reminder that that smell really is because we're in a really old motel room).

All this could have been overlooked if the price weren't over $200 for one night (gulp). NOT worth it for the hotel is close to nothing we needed and far better rooms are available at Hotel Circle for less (the Travelodge would have been a far better choice, for example).

Finally, we would not have stayed had we not been trapped by a computer glitch between booking.com and the property which neither the manager on duty nor the booking site would honor (namely, an indication on app that cancellation cost was *free*). Cancellation was NOT free, and we lost the room and had to get it back (they were charging us for it anyway). The manager actually treated me like I was an idiot for thinking I could cancel for free (even though I showed him the button saying so on my phone app for this very reservation). I understand "policy" and "rules," but mocking a customer and showing no understanding of my view was very disconcerting coming from someone with the title of "Manager On Duty." There are countless other hotels in the San Diego area.... Next time, we will avoid this one.

• Stayed July 2014
I am very sorry to hear what happened during your stay. Again I am sorry. If you would like to discuss this further with me my name is Charlie Holladay and I am the General Manager, my phone number is (858) 278-0800 or you can contact me via email at charlie@ramadasandiego.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Wonderful stay, very clean room, professional staff and outstanding price for 5 days over 4th of July 2014 weekend. Will stay each time I visit San Diego which is 5 times a year. Internet access was easy and constant and free parking. Location is perfect to go any direction in San Diego. Great place to stay for a great price.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you Christine for your positive comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon! I am happy to hear that the Internet was easy and consistent for your use.

Again thanks!
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our 5 days in newly refurbished Exec room, very nice.
New bathroom, carpets, paint etc. with nice big HD TV.
Now has a safe, tall and shallow but can fit a couple of iPads in it.
Pool was very noisy with kids having fun but got locked at about 10pm and after that real quiet.
Staff friendly and helpful, don't understand reviews that say they are not. Been here many times and they are always nice to us.
Would be great to have bottled water provided for the coffee machine.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I thank you Fred for your positive comments we look forward to having you back again soon. Just so you know next time we do have complimentary bottled water available at the Front Desk for your convenience.

San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The staff is dedicated, hard-working, and splendid.

The lack of a reliable WiFi is simply unworkable. When it goes down (and I've been here three days, and it's gone down twice), the management has the guest talk to their Internet provider.

I've stayed in a large number of hospitality establishments. I have never had WiFi go down so frequently, and never was I - as a guest - required to resolve the problem with the establishment's service provider myself. Twice.

I may pack my bags tomorrow if this doesn't get any better. I'm using my (apparently) limited Internet access seconds to provide this review.

Think about that.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, choose a room facing away from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I thank you for your comments Ken. I will be sure to let the staff know about your positive comments on their work ethics. We have recently upgraded our WiFi and I am glad to assure you that this issue has been resolved.

Thank you!
Westminster, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I did not have much expectations of this hotel considering the reviews from other travellers. But was pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, quiet and spacious for a family of 4. Had no problems checking in/out.
The only drawback was this hotel did not have free breakfast, would be a good value-add for the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you and I am glad to hear that you and your family were pleasantly surprised. I will share with the housekeeping staff your comments on the room cleanliness.

Again thanks!
El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

My son and I recently stayed here for 4 nights and though I got a great deal via hotels.com; the room was average. My lamp was broken and the bathroom floor wasn't well mopped. The flat screen was nice and the a/c worked nice and quiet. There is no complimentary breakfast so be ready to use the microwave in the room or pay at the Proud Mary' restaurant downstairs or go McD across the street. Hot tub was a plus but the pool is cold and with a dirty floor. Overall not too bad of an hotel and not very far from main attractions. I would stay again at the same deal but not at a premium price. 3.5 stars (Room 251)

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the pool
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I thank you for your comments Marc, not only is our hotel a great place for vacationers like yourself, we are a favorite for business travelers as well as we are centrally located with It is within 10 minutes of all that San Diego has to offer, including Sea World, San Diego Zoo, San Diego International Airport, Petco Park, Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego’s Gaslamp District, Historic Old Town and of course San Diego’s beautiful beaches as well.

Again thank you!

Been to Ramada San Diego North Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!