“OK for just a night” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #167 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Virginia, soon to go blue
“OK for just a night”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

When we arrived at night the hotel seemed very crowded and loud. Some people were sitting out on the walkways drinking, on laptops, etc. Parking was available.

No elevators. Our 2nd floor room was OK- sheets look and smelled clean- room itself was average. Curtains were falling off the rod and the bathroom was in so-so condition.

This is an OK place to sleep for a short time. Would not consider it for a longer san diego stay. There are much better hotels at comparable prices.

Oh, the wireless worked GREAT! That was a bonus

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

This is one of the best hotels I have stayed in. Although it's not the nicest hotels around it is really good. I stay here almost every two weeks and have yet to be disappointed. My most recent stay was in there King size room and little by little they are remodeling all the rooms in the hotel. This time I had the remodeled room and it looked amazing. The t.v worked great and the room was really clean.

I have had the two queen bed room before also, very nice room. Although a little cramped still pretty nice. Rooms in the first few buildings are a little outdated but they are working on that.

They have a standard suite which is usually pretty clean and comfortable. It's nice because it has a large king bed with a sofa sitting area. It has a small kitcknette with just a sink and a counter area.

They also have a deluxe suite which you can usually find through hotels.com . The nice thing about the deluxe suite is the room is really large. It has a sitting area, and although the its a studio suite and everything is in the same room its very spacious. The kitchen in this room is very nice because it has to range burners.

Overall this hotel is one of my favorite. I wouldn't pay anything over 100 for it though. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice hotel for not a lot of money.

Oh and the area is really nice.

The breakfast is amazing although a little pricy. If you book directly through the hotel with the AAA rate they give you a voucher for a free breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Puerto Penasco and Rosarito Beach, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

First off we booked this hotel after looking at tripadvisor and Hotels dot com, but we decided to contact them direct.

Pior to our arrival we phone the hotel to ask what time we could check in and we were told that we could check in at the time, our phone converstation was a little skecty.

Check in was really fast and very friendly service!

Our room could have been better...but at the same time it could have been worse. Opon opening the door there was a lot of grass clippings on the carpet, luckily the housekeeper was just a room over so we asked her to vaucum and she did it with out any problem. The desk, armoire and bed side tables had huge nicks and worned out. The mini fridge was not turn on so at first we thought it was broken. The bathroom door looked as though it has been in a fight and lost...there were large patch holes and after our two day say a corner of the door feel off. I was really looking forward to a tub and was shocked to only see a shower.

The good thing about the room is that it had an oversized closet, a really large bathroom. and it was very clean. The wireless internet was very easy to conect to. The hotel was in a very good area, very close to everything we never were more than 10 miles from the attrations of the Zoo and Sea World.

After two days of walking all over the parks it was wonderful to come back and soak in the hot tub and swim in the pool.

I gave this hotel a neutral rating beacuse that is just how I felt there was nothing terrible about the hotel, and certainly nothing excellent either.

• Liked — The pool area was very nice
  • Disliked — The room needed updating
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Vista, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

BEWARE - BEWARE - BEWARE

This hotel, unlike any hotel I have ever stayed at, has a policy that they say their "owner" instituted that REQUIRES that your credit card be charged $50 per night for what they believe might be "incidental" charges. They will not guarantee when you will get your money and say they don't know. Could be 7 days, could be 10 days. Who knows? The clerk kept pointing to the fact that it was my fault because I booked online and that hotels.com could not be trusted and that they lie. Hotels.com assured me I had a solid reservation with a king-sized bed. When I reached the hotel, they didn't even know I was coming and found the reservation in their fax machine. They said they "would see" if there were any rooms available. so much for making a reservation, huh?

We all are certainly aware of hotels having your card info and, upon checkout, reconciling your bill and if there are extra charges, they are put on your bill. But to take your $50 upfront for no reason is absurd. They will tell you that there is some fine print somewhere that warned you that "other charges might apply." And to that I say: CROOKED. Keeping your money and earning interest on it at a rate of $50 PER RESERVATION, you can only imagine how much money they make on that alone.

I refused to stay there and insisted my reservation be cancelled through hotels.com and that I have the charge backed off my card for my reservation and was told by the agent, who is in India, they would cancel but it would take approximately 30 days to get my money back for my reservation.

Ridiculous.

I will never, ever stay at a Ramada Inn because of their deceptive practices. I also will never use hotels.com.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

Stay away from this hotel. This is one of the most deceitful hotels I've stayed in. We booked our hotel for $269.00 (there were tons of things in town so the prices were sky high, as was this hotel) We came and checked in and everything seemed fine at check in. The guy was nice and friendly.

We get to our room, and everything changed. The room smells awful. It smells like a combo of old stale smoke and paint.

Our room looks nothing like the pictures. The furniture is not the same, it's a tiny chest at the foot of the bed with drawers, and then the tv is on a small end table looking thing. Certainly not the amoire shown in the pic. I go in the bathroom and there's not a bathtub (even thought the pics on the website show a bathtub) So I call the front desk. There are limited amounts of rooms with bathtubs and those were gone. So instead, we have this tiny shower in a corner that was dirty.

So then we go to the spa. That was the only area that was the same as the pics. The pool was freezing cold so we skipped that but the spa was nice and clean. The jets don't work very well, but after a long day of walking around the zoo, just sitting in the hot water felt nice. That area is also very well kept, and nice looking.

Then we tried to go to sleep, but the jets flying all night made that difficult.

The next morning we go to get our free continental breakfast as advertised on the website and we were told they only have coffee. But on the website they show a whole breakfast room and everything. So I ask the clerk and he says, Oh I know the website says that, but I don't know why, we've never had continental breakfast here. So if you've never had it, why would you have a picture of it on your website and offer it??? False advertising?

The sign on the back of the door, with the fire escpae and rate info says the max for this room is $159, but like I said, we booked for $269, but again, the front desk didn't have an explanation for that.

Our air conditioner didn't work. Neither did the fridge or the bedside lights.

So again, stay away. This hotel is shady and deceptive.

• Liked — The pool area and internet
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Merrimack, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

We had the opportunity to stay at the Ramada Hotel & Conference Ctr on Kearny Mesa Rd in San Diego just this past week ( May 8-10, 2008 ).
It was a quick decision to take a short 2 day get-away to the West coast.
It was to be the only vacation we would get for the whole year and had not had a vacation at all for the past year.
If it happened at all we had to do it on a “Shoe-String” budget and our schedule only allowed us 3 days total .
We both lost our jobs over a year ago and have only been able to find much lower paying jobs since then.
Things have been very “tight” financially for us so we were in a great debate as to wether we should take the trip or not.
At the last minute ( 3 days before the planned departure date ) a very close friend gave us a few hundred dollars and said “You Should GO…You need to just get away out of the area for a few days. Just go.”
So I hit the internet scouring the countryside for an inexpensive hotel for us to stay in.
We found several potential candidates all between $58-$84 per night.
I read and re-read all the user reviews and finally made our decision to stay at the Ramada Hotel & Conference Ctr. & glad we did. ( We did not experience most of what the negative sounding reviews talked about at this hotel )
First of all the on line photos made the Ramada look very upscale, tropical with all kinds of palm trees and flowers around it.
Truly beautiful we thought.
It looked much classier than the other hotel photos in this price range. ( Obviously this is what happens with on line photos and often when you arrive you find out that it is not what the photos implied ) but in the Ramadas’ case we found that the on line photos DID indeed portray an accurate picture.
The grounds we found to be well kept, very beautiful with lots of palm trees and flowers… a lot like an oasis in the dessert might be.
When we arrived, the hotel desk staff , Sherry and Teo, were very attentive, professional and helpful.
( Thanks to you both keep up the great work !).
We had booked the stay on line and had taken the Non-Smoking 1 King bed option.
When we opened the door to our room we found that it had two queen size beds.
We noticed the hotel is undergoing a systematic renovation of their rooms and we had been given a room that was very near where the new renovations were taking place.( Not so pretty and a little noisy ). The room was also on the side of the hotel that is right up next to the Miramar Air Station so you could hear the jets flying practice runs ( this may be a negative reason for some not to stay here but on the other hand, they usually fly only in the daylight hours & you probably won’t be there during the daytime cause you’ll be out at Seaworld right? ). Also there is a tall wall that does block a lot of the jet noises and they usually do not fly after dark I was told ( if this bothers you then just be sure your room is an INSIDE facing the pool room and you wont hear any of it and you’ll be good to go )
For these reasons our 1st room was just not to our liking but I returned to the front desk and they were very helpful and patient in reaccommodating us to a room that was on the inside facing the lush pool and beautiful jacuzzi. Still 2 queens tho as all the 1 kings were the rooms being renovated.
Our stay at the Ramada Hotel & Conference Ctr was wonderful.
The room for this class & price of hotel was very clean, very quite, no Bugs of any kind were seen.
The bathroom was immaculate. The bed linens were freshly pressed & the beds were comfortable ( have not slept this good in a long time ).The hot water was eternally hot ( yes ! ). The room had a mini refrigerator, ironing board and iron, airconditioner and color cable tv.. ALL of which worked perfectly.
The outdoor pool and jacuzzi were ( from what we could tell ) crystal clear and super clean and HOT.
Gotta say that for the $77.00 per night that it cost us to stay here we would give this hotel a huge thumbs up and highly recommend it as a wonderful place to stay if you want a clean, safe, bugfree, semi-luxurious (for the price), easy drive to get to everything and relaxing place to come back to.
We will certainly be coming back to the Ramada Hotel & Conference Ctr. Again.

• Liked — The low Price. Convenient Location. Friendly Staff. Clean, Safe and Comfortable. Great Pool/Jacuzzi Area
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

6-night stay Feb 13-19, 2008
We booked a great bargain package at Expedia and I had read the reviews of this hotel before we left, so I knew we weren't going to the Ritz. I run an internet business and the most important thing to me was that the wireless would work. It performed fine. Was able to connect within 10 minutes of checking in.
That said, the room was freshly painted...like maybe completed the day before and while that meant everything was clean and shiny...it smelled terrible the whole time we were there. There were no other rooms available to move to either.
We had 2 queen beds, which after alternating for 2 nights, we stacked the mattresses on top of each other and made it tolerable.
The staff was great. Room was cleaned in a timely manner everyday. There was never any disturbing noise at night during our stay.
Would I stay there again? Maybe if the paint smell had gone away!

• Liked — It was cheap!
  • Disliked — Fresh paint = awful smell.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ramada San Diego North Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!