“The Bristol is great” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Carlsbad, California
“The Bristol is great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We have stayed at the Bristol multiple times and have always been very pleased. It's location in San Diego is great for nights at the theater, walking around the Gaslamp Quarter and the staff is very accommodating. Zozima at reception has been particularly helpful, accommodating and very professional. We have had breakfast in the restaurant, First Avenue Bar and Grille, which was very good and the bar has great ambiance, great happy hour menu and the staff always provides great service.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
bristolMGR, General Manager at Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear IrishLuck2014,
Welcome back! I was pleased to read that you are a repeat guest and thank you for your loyalty, it is greatly appreciated. I will mention to Zozima that you enjoyed her warm and friendly customer service. She is just one of many dedicated employees who genuinely want to make your stay memorable. Thank you for the accolades! I am also happy you enjoyed our convenient location within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and theater venues. On behalf of the Bristol Team, have a great holiday season and hurry back!

Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Tsarlip
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My experience was so-so at the Bristol. I was there for business so the basic expectation is that the wifi works with all of my devices, and is adequately fast to handle images, youtube etc. It was erratic at best and even when I contacted the company supporting the Bristol's wifi there was not much they could do. I was lucky to get me email to download.

The next problem was the water pressure. The shower started fine but ended up being a weak drizzle. Not sure if this is a problem for all rooms or it just happens to the upper floors.

The nice thing about the Bristol is that it is in walking distance to the more interesting areas of downtown. The area immediately surrounding the Bristol is not very interesting unless you are fascinated with the bail bond business. But you can quickly by-pass these less interesting areas and get to the gas light district or the waterfront.

The front desk were pleasant but I do not think I would recommend this hotel unless it was offering a very competitive price.

Room Tip: Check on the wifi signal in the room before you settle in
Green Features: Like the fact that they had hollowed out soap - which makes for less waste.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear ZigmundTsarlip,
Thank you for your review, it was most helpful. We seldom get complaints about our complimentary Wi-Fi or lack of water pressure and I will sure to look into these concerns immediately. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am glad you enjoyed our close proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter, which is just 3 blocks from our hotel. Thank you for mentioning our pleasant front desk associates. We appreciate your feedback and wish you Happy Holidays!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I just spent 3 nights at this hotel and were very happy with our stay. The location was great and the facility was very nice. The room was relatively large but I did find the bed to be a bit hard by my standards. The biggest plus was Ahmad who checked us in and answered our many questions. He made the stay great. Some concerns I did have were mentioned before in that the walls were fairly thin and our last night we heard a mouse/rat chewing in the air vent. Had to throw a shoe at the ceiling to keep it quiet.

• Stayed December 2014
bristolMGR, General Manager at Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Poulsboman,
Thank you for a nice review and for spending three nights with us! I am glad you enjoyed our excellent location just steps from the Gaslamp Quarter as well as our nice facilities and spacious guestrooms. I apologize if our new mattresses did not suit your needs. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the exceptional service provided by Ahmad. I will be sure to share your comments with him.

I have been the GM at the Bristol Hotel for the past three years and I have not had one complaint concerning rodents. If I may suggest a plausible explanation, the noise that you might have heard could have been from our circulating fan that is used for air flow in our ventilation system. Nevertheless, I will monitor this closely. On behalf of the Bristol Team, have a Happy Holiday and we hope to see you soon.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I looked at several hotels before our trip to San Diego but chose The Bristol based on the location, price and reviews.

We were not disappointed. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and professional, not to mention extremely helpful. The valet parking was much more reasonably priced than other hotels I looked at and were always quick at getting our car.

They were also very gracious when I, used to driving a manual car in the UK, couldn't get the car out of park as I wasn't pushing the brake pedal- I think I was still jet lagged as I had managed to get from LA to San Diego without any problems!

The room was great, amazingly comfortable bed and spotlessly clean.

Location wise, it was about a 10 minute walk to the Gaslamp and lots of bars and restaurants, 5 minutes to Westfield shopping centre and about a 2 minute drive to the freeway.

It's a great hotel and comes highly recommended.

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear WorldTraveller1500,
I was delighted that you selected our hotel based on our great reviews, price and location and that you were thoroughly pleased with your experience! I am glad that you found our employees to be courteous, professional, helpful and efficient. Thank you for mentioning our reasonable rates for valet parking, our clean and comfortable guestrooms and our excellent location just a short walk from the Gaslamp Quarter and Horton Plaza. Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and I we appreciate your recommendation! Have a Happy Holiday Season.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I would agree with most reviewers who say this hotel is adequate, quaint, with clean and nice rooms and all.

However, I give the Bristol 1 star because management and customer service are devastatingly poor.

I confirmed my family’s reservation for a 2 nights weekend stay at the Bristol three months in advance. Upon arrival at the hotel, after fighting horrendous Friday traffic on the 5 freeway, unloading our luggage and walking to the reception desk, we were told by the hotel manager that our room was unavailable because the hotel was overbooked. Of course we were given what they call a “courtesy and complimentary” room at this lower grade hotel a few blocks away. Of course, we argued, vented and cursed because we had confirmed our room so far in advance, but had no choice but to take their lousy offer for a free room at this other place for the first night and have to come back at the Bristol the next day. Great start to our weekend getaway in San Diego.

A free night at a dumpy hotel with a smelly room just doesn’t cut it. It’s our vacation time we’re talking about and the way the Bristol hotel management handled our reservation is unforgivable and unacceptable. Having to drive to another hotel, check out from that dumpy hotel the next day to check in at the Bristol for our second night was a huge inconvenience and waste of time.

Overbooking is inexcusable. It’s a medieval practice I have personally never experienced in the US. I can’t recommend a hotel like the Bristol that treats guests with utter disrespect. I highly recommend you stay away

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Dear LeRiRi,
I deeply apologize for the unfortunate experience that you were subjected too. Please understand that the hotel does not intentionally overbook our room inventory. We set our perimeters so that our property management system does not reserve additional rooms beyond our total room inventory. The variance is caused when unforeseen events occur such as when a guest stays beyond their intended departure date and hotel management is not notified of their intention until it is too late in the evening to remedy the overstay. When this imbalance occurs we are faced with the unpleasant situation of having to relocate a guest to a neighboring hotel and we do our best to find one that is comparable or superior and we will pay for the one nights lodging. I apologize that you were dissatisfied with the alternative hotel option and for the inconvenience this caused you.

I would certainly like to make this unhappy experience up to you and if given the opportunity, I am sure that you will come away with a better opinion of the Bristol Hotel and its management. Please feel free to contact me directly and I look forward to your phone call.

Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It is in the downtown of San Diego few blocks away from gaslamp, walking distance from a lot of restaurants, bars and the convention centers as well as from the PETCO baseball stadium. Clean , comfortable, I had a very good experience.

Room Tip: One king size bedroom.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jesus P.,
Thank you for a great review! I was pleased to read that besides our great accommodations and affordable room rates that you enjoyed our hotel and especially our location near all of the city’s attractions and landmarks including the Gaslamp Quarter, the Convention Center and PETCO Park. I appreciate your mention of our clean, comfortable guestrooms. Thank you for being our guest and we wish you happy holidays!

Blue Island, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I travel quite a bit for business. The Bristol has been my best travel experience so far. Beautiful room, good food, outstanding service, incredibly helpful and friendly staff. Great for business or pleasure

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear Felicia L.,
I was extremely pleased to read that your business travel experience at the Bristol Hotel was pleasant and memorable. I'm glad you enjoyed our beautiful rooms, the great food from our onsite restaurant, and the outstanding service from our friendly, helpful staff. As you mentioned, our hotel is perfect of business or leisure travelers as we offer great complimentary amenities including WiFi as well as a great location within walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, the Convention Center and so much more. Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel and happy holidays!

Bristol Hotel

Been to Bristol Hotel? Share your experiences!