“Excellant Location” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Leeds
“Excellant Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was our second stay here, last time in 2010. I think it has gone downhill since then! We had to wait until 4.15 for our room!! (this was after getting there around 2.pm. which I know was early but we went for a long walk) and the room was still not ready. We were promised vouchers for the bar which never materialized so we went out to drink elsewhere. Our room was certainly not cleaned very well. The good point is its location which is very central. A short walk and a cheap bus ride to Sandiego Zoo was great.

Room Tip: Whatever room this hotel is always going to be noisy!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
bristolMGR, General Manager at Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear jillip,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for recognizing that our location is a great one for a San Diego vacation. We are walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter and to the Convention Center and transportation is directly outside our front doors.

I apologize that your room was not ready in time for your 3PM check-in. At rare times, guests depart later than our noon departure time without notifying our front desk or housekeeping staff, which presents a challenge for us to have the rooms cleaned on time. I sincerely apologize for this delay and for the unsatisfactory cleaning and I assure you that this was the exception and not the rule at the Bristol Hotel. While our reception agents are well-trained and attentive, I do apologize if the person who checked you in did not present your drink vouchers to you upon arrival. I will certainly speak to our agents and remind them that they must follow through with their promises.

In the future, please contact me directly and I will be sure to personally handle your reservation request and ensure you have a pleasant and memorable stay.

Thank you for selecting the Bristol Hotel.

Bristol Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

In my opinion, one of the best kept secrets in the Gaslamp. I've stayed at this hotel every summer for the last ~10 years and I've never had a bad stay. Hospitality is second to none and the location makes everything in the Gaslamp just a short walk away. I will stay here again, no doubt about that.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask to be on a higher floor and away from the rail.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear James C,
Thank you for your wonderful evaluation of the Bristol Hotel and please spread the word! I sincerely appreciate your customer loyalty and I will be sure to post your comments in our Employee Break Room, so that our team will know of the great job that they are doing to keep customers such as yourself returning to the hotel year over year.

Please feel free to contact me directly before your next visit, so that I may personally handle your reservation and thank you for staying at the Bristol Hotel.

kingston, jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had read the trip advisor reviews so I was expecting a good stay and it exceeded my expectations. LOCATION - It is very centrally located. We did not have a car and had no problems whatsoever getting around. We took a taxi from the airport and could easily have taken the airport bus which stops right on the corner from the hotel. In fact several buses stop there so we were easily able to get around by bus. The trolley also runs on the corner so it is easy to access many different locations from there as well.
STAFF - We were in contact with the staff before we came and found them to be very friendly and helpful by phone. They are even more so in person. When you enter the lobby you get a 'Welcome back" which is nice. They were always gracious and warm.
ROOMS - Nice and clean decor with modern furnishings. We were advised to get a room away from the street because of the noise and asked for one ahead of time and had no problems on the 7th floor. Rooms are a good size
RESTAURANT - The restaurant had a great offer with 50% off select entree items which means for example having a chicken dinner for under $10.00. It was great value - food was good and tasty. They also had reduced prices on Margaritas etc.
Highly recommend this hotel and will certainly plan to stay there again

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise
Green Features: The usual recycling of towels and sheets. Did not notice anything else.
Dear Jamaicanyardie,
Thank you for a great review!! You are correct, our location is very centrally located and we are walking distance to most San Diego attractions. The Gaslamp Quarter features nightlife, entertainment and some of the best casual and upscale restaurants in the downtown area. We are also walking distance to Petco Park, Little Italy, the trolley and Amtrak station.

We appreciate your kind comments regarding our friendly and welcoming staff as well as our nicely decorated and comfortable guestrooms. We are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy a meal at our fantastic onsite restaurant, the First Avenue Bar and Grille, and that you took advantage of our 50% discount for guests of the hotel! Thank you for recommending our hotel and we are so happy your stay with us exceeded your expectations.

On behalf of the Bristol Hotel, have a great summer and we look forward to your return visits.

Portsmouth, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Based on numerous favorable reviews I decided to book for a business trip. If staying for a weekend getaway it's probably OK, but for a business traveler not a good choice. You can't even buy a soda in the hotel unless from the bar. When I asked I was directed to the "7-11 around the corner" as the front desk clerk responded. Also, due to their only valet parking I was late for work one day (had to wait 10 minutes one day for my car after they brought the wrong car for another guest). Last item was housekeeping, nothing bugs me more than being on a business trip and after a full day of work returning to find no housekeeping service had occurred during the day. In their defense, they did stop by at 5 PM to ask if I wanted any service...um, no thanks.

Room Tip: Rooms look nice when you first enter but then after being there you realize upkeep is not quite firs...
Green Features: None advertised so I don't think they have any
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
bristolMGR, General Manager at Bristol Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Scott D,
Thank you for being our guest and we appreciate your valuable feedback. I sincerely apologize for the mishaps that occurred during your visit and I will certainly speak to our respective Managers for the Valet and Housekeeping Services regarding the problems that you encountered; I assure you that this experience was the exception and not the rule at our hotel.

I do realize that an apology that comes after the fact may have little impact; however, I would like to make this up to you. When the occasion arises for you to visit San Diego, it would be my pleasure to assist you with reservations and assure you a pleasant and memorable experience. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I don't know where to start in giving a review of The Bristol Hotel - everything about it was just absolutely great! My family and I chose this hotel based on the very positive trip advisor reviews that it consistently receives, so we went there expecting to have a good stay, but didn't expect that we would absolutely fall in love with the place! Let me start with the staff who were great, starting with my interactions with them by phone before I even arrived in San Diego. They were professional, helpful and super friendly. By the time we arrived, we felt as if they already knew us, and we were very warmly welcomed. We needed to stay an extra night, but at the time we made the request, the hotel was fully booked for that night. Well it seems everybody was on alert, checking periodically for us if anything had freed up, and the moment a room did free up, we received a call from the front desk confirming that they could accommodate us for the additional night. Special kudos to Ahmad who was exceptional, not only in terms of this matter, but also in terms of giving us helpful tips about where to go, where to shop etc. Thanks again Ahmad!!!

As for the hotel itself - absolutely no complaints. The rooms are spacious, modern furnishings and fixtures and very nice, tasteful decor. The bathroom is a decent size and both the rooms and the bathrooms are kept spotlessly clean, and adequate supplies of toiletries are provided and replenished daily. We had an okay view from the room. Because we had read online that some of the rooms could be a bit noisy because of street traffic etc., we specifically asked for a quiet room, and so traded a great view for quietness, and we were fine with that. The room was indeed quiet - we only heard the trolleys once in a while, but nothing to disturb our sleep or rest at all. (We were in Room 705 by the way). We ate in the restaurant a few times and found both the food and the service to be very good. We were especially pleased to learn that hotel guests get a 50% discount on select items on the menu, so of course that was good motivation for us to keep going back!

Last but not least, I have to talk about location location location!! You couldn't get it any better than this! The hotel is just a block and a half away from the trolley, and buses to the airport and to places like Balboa Park and La Jolla are right around the corner or a block away. A super bonus is that the Transportation Centre is literally at the end of the block, so it's super easy to just pop in there and get precise directions about what bus will get you where. The hopping, bustling Gaslamp Quarter is just a few blocks away, so it's an easy stroll when you want to go out for dinner etc, and of course there are oodles of choices for places to eat in and around the Gaslamp Quarter. There's a shopping mall three blocks away, and other shopping areas nearby in the Gaslamp Quarter.

All in all, we couldn't have asked for more. We love San Diego and plan to be back, and for sure we will be staying at the Bristol Hotel when we return! Kudos to the General Manager Greg and his team! Keep up the good work - we'll be back!!

Room Tip: Just call in advance and ask.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Janais2000,
Thank you for the excellent and detailed review! I sincerely appreciate your kudos and I will make sure that our staff reads your kind comments. As you noted, the Bristol Hotel is all about friendly and courteous service, clean and spacious accommodations just like room 705, great food/libations and best of all- our location in downtown San Diego.

Once again, thank you for taking time out of your busy day to write a nice review. On behalf of the Bristol Team, especially Ahmad, we look forward to your return visits.

Pico Rivera, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This was my second time stayiing at this terrific hotel. I find it to be very classy without being pretentious.The staff is warm, friendly and welcoming, We were checked in quickly and were very pleased with our room. I loved that they had an IHome so I could hook up my ipod and listen to my music without headphones. The lobby area is inviting and tastefully decorated. The Gaslamp District is easy to get to and yet far enough away that you don't get a lot of noisey crowds on the street. We had breakfast in the morning and again encountered a very pleasant staff in the restaurant. We were able to leave our car in the hotel parking garage until 3:00 P.M. after checkout, which gave us time to explore the Gaslamp and Seaport Village area without having to worry about parking. Would definitely come again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor looking out at First Street. Between 2 buildings, we could see the ocean...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sagnet,
Thank you for being a loyal and repeat guest and for providing us with your feedback on your recent stay!! The Bristol Hotel is all about value and building relationships by providing guests with friendly and warm hospitality and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your endorsement.

We're glad you had a chance to explore pne of San Diego’s favorite tourist attractions, the Gaslamp Quarter, which is located just two blocks away and is the perfect place to unwind after a day of sightseeing or business at the Convention Center.

Thank you for residing at the Bristol Hotel and we look forward to your future visits.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We loved everything about this place, especially Dwayne who looked after us when we needed a last minute booking. Spacious room, very clean! Check out at midday and a great location. Walking distance to great bars and restaurants!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tasangela,
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to review your stay. I was extremely pleased to read that Dwayne had taken care of your last-minute booking and provided you with the “extra” Bristol hospitality that we are known for. I will pass along your accolades and I am sure they will be appreciated.

As you had discovered, we are only a few blocks from some of the best nightlife and restaurants located in the Gaslamp Quarter and the nearby, Little Italy district. We're glad you enjoyed your experience there!

Thank you for residing with us and we look forward to your future visits.