“Nice Clean Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #180 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
Milford, Pennsylvania
“Nice Clean Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I booked through Choice Hotels not knowing the area at all. Upon check inn the clerk was friendly and helpful and printed out directions to the zoo for us. It was very conviently located close to the zoo and right off the I-5. I was a little aprensive since there were a couple of guys hanging in the parking lot drinking beer and being quite loud. Our room was very clean and the beds comfortable. I tolerated the noise from the partiers for a little while then went to the manager, who was very nice and handeled the situation promptly. I would recommend staying at this hotel since it was very nice and clean, however I would stay on the upper floors which are probably quieter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I have to admit this - I found an unexpected jewel of a hotel in southeast San Diego. I travel quite a bit for work, and I try to select a hotel property that is in close proximity of my work meetings. Sure enough, in my quest for quality, value, cleanliness, and comfort, I found the Quality Inn 1-5 Naval Base. The hotel owners happened to be from Sacramento where I also live on a part-time basis, and we hit it off right away. The husband and wife team made me feel right at home, and they ensured my stay was comfortable. I woke up to a wonderful, complimentary breakfast the next day and ready to take on the world. So, if you need to be close to San Diego's Navy Base or the South Bay, take a quest over to this Quality Inn!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had the best time here. the staff was so friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and the rooms were also really nice. Ireally felt comfortable at this place, and thats saying something because i travel around the country year-round. its also very close to basically everything in San Diego.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Remington, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel is a good place to stay when flying out of San Diego. Neighborhood is mediocre, but not bad. These folks are renovating and trying real hard. This means a lot to a retired businessman who has seen a few come and go in his time. They are installing real stone floors and granite countertops as well as the usual painting. Give them lots of credit for hard work and optimism, and try this hotel out. A bit off the beaten path, no pool, but the best mattresses on our whole trip.
Right now they are swiftly climbing up the ladder!!!

Room Tip: Always show courtesy and kindness. It takes you a long way. Ask for any perks or upgrades.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I really didn't expect anything much more than a bed, TV, and shower; I was pleasantly surprised when I went into the breakfast room. There were quite a few surprises actually; there is a waffle iron, toaster, bagels, yogurts, various assortments of cereal and pastries and to top it off nothing was stale, everything looked fresh.
The reason I didn't give it 5 stars:
Some weird stain in bathroom
It is hidden away behind a gas station
The check-in clerk couldn't work the computer (very nice though, the clerk not the computer)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The price seemed right and the location was perfect so I thought I would give it a try. I booked 6 rooms here and paid in advance to "lock in the price" I was not told until check in that they were going to hold $606 against my credit card and that I would not get it back for five days. They made sure that I had no money to spend on my vacation. The locked in price was a joke because the also charged me extra money on every room after I checked in. To top it all off neither the heater nor the coffee maker in my room worked and the staff did nothing to make it right when we complained about it. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELVES, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Me and my wife did a last minute booking here. We chose this hotel because it had the few negative reviews for a cheap hotel.

Its nestled in a caldisac behind a gas station. The hood looks pretty rough, not really safely looking to walk around to explore.

Staff was OK. Check in guy was nice enough and attentive which was commendable considering I checked in pretty late. The lady who checked me out gave me a hard time about paying with a debit card. I guess only cash or credit is accepted here.

The room was a king size non smoking on the first floor. Furniture is dated, carpet stained and mushy. Not really the type of room I'd spend my waking hours in while on vacation.
Washrooms were very clean and looked like it had new tiles. Fan is strong at absorbing odors.

Like I mentioned the hood doesn't look too safe. On the bright side there's a ton of cc cameras on the premises. However it still provoked my spidey senses more than usual.

Bed was best part of room. Sheets were very clean . Just have to remove the ugly cover which is never cleaned at these places anyways.

Breakfast is included. The usual which is described well by other reviews. They ran out of coffee though.

Place is acceptable as a quick stopover. However if given the choice I'd spend the extra 20-40 bucks and for a nicer area.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple