“When you are traveling” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Santa Cruz, California
“When you are traveling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

When you have to be away from home for an extended period of time this is the place to stay!
Everyone on staff is friendly and service oriented to go out of their way to make your time with them a pleasant experience. The breakfast they serve every morning offers a wide variety of hot and cold items. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings a buffet dinner is served which is very good too. During the summer Wednesday night dinner is a barbecue poolside. Loads of fun! I met families and business travelers who return to stay here when traveling. Rooms are kept clean and comfortable and it is freeway close.

Room Tip: This is a big place, the rooms numbered below 8 are closer to the pool and main lobby where meals ar...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hi Carroll Ann D! Thank you so much for your thoughtful review of our property, the Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Central. The summer BBQs are a true highlight for both staff and our guests and I am so happy that you enjoyed the staff service and value. I also appreciate your taking the time to write your review. It means so much and gives future travelers a preview of their upcoming stay. Please come back and see us the next time you are in San Diego.

Jonathan Correll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cottonwood, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Nice location easy access to freeway and close to everything. Very comfortable rooms no problems. At check in commented on wanting to go to a Padre game if they were playing got to our room and settled in got a call from the front desk they were playing that afternoon, so we headed for the stadium which was not far from the hotel and enjoyed a wonderful time. Enjoyed a wonderful BBQ in the evening and breakfast is great anything you want not just pastries and coffee. This was our second stay and we will definitely go back again. Very good family place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi Ann H! Thank you so much for your review of our Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Central. We pride ourselves on our service and I am so happy that we delivered. I am happy that you were able to enjoy the amenities such as breakfast and take in a Padres game. You are a valued repeat customer and we look forward to hosting you on your return visit to San Diego.

Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Nice grounds conveniently located north of San Diego proper. Excellent locale for easy access to La Jolla, Balboa Park and a variety of other activities. About 20 minutes (when traffic is good) from Gaslamp District
The staff is wonderful.

Room Tip: Great property overall but try to stay on second floor- the insulation of noise isn't the greate...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Hi Connellyp and thank you so much for your review of our Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Central. We work hard to deliver exceptional service and I am always thrilled when our guests mention this in their reviews. I hope that your travels will bring you back to San Diego and to our hotel again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This Residence Inn is located near the 163 freeway which gave us quick access to everything we did in San Diego - Sea World, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Zoo Safari Park, Coronado Island, Phil's BBQ, Fashion Valley Shopping, etc.

From check in to check out the staff was friendly and responsive, no problems or complaints. After making the bed, the maid would carefully arrange our daughters stuffed animals which delighted her every day! The kitchen staff for breakfast accommodated my wife's food allergies with a smile. Breakfasts were excellent which we have come to expect from our stays at Residence Inns.

The grounds were immaculate, clean, and sell kept. The pool and pool area were cleaned every morning. The staff even recovered a missing pool toy from the previous day. The parking was plentiful, even on the busy weekend part of our stay when there were hoards of youth soccer families staying at the hotel.

We will definitely return to stay on our next San Diego vacation! Thanks for making this one the "Best Ever!" :)

Room Tip: You can request a room closer or farther from the pool. I don't think it would make any differen...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hi kdadman! and thank you so much for your candid review of our Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Central. We work hard to deliver an exceptional product and I am so happy that your stay with us was one of the best. Please make sure that you come back and see us again the next time you are in San Diego.

Dallas/Ft. Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We just got back from our vacation which was split between San Diego and Anaheim. We started in San Diego for the first 4 nights and ended in Anaheim the last 4 nights.

I checked the reviews here almost daily for 3 months before we left. In fact that's how I narrowed down which RI to stay at. We are a family of 4 adults and 1 child so needed the separate beds and at least 2 baths. We had a one bedroom downstairs with a king bed, upstairs loft with a queen bed, and downstairs in the living was the sofa/pull out sleeper.

Check in was quick and easy. We had called ahead of time while driving from John Wayne airport to say we were there early and would a room be available. She said it was. Which was very nice because we got to San Diego around 10:30 am. We stayed here from Friday, May 16th-20th.

Once given our room keys we got to our room, which was on the second floor and none of the room keys worked. So my husband called the front desk and she said she would send someone with new room keys asap. We kept trying all of them and finally it worked. But, the man with the new room keys was there probable in less than 5 min's knocking on the door. Very fast service even though we didn't need him after all! And that's pretty much how the trip went as far as service, always great. We were in building 13 and it was very quiet there. Didn't hear road noise or thankfully other guests.

The breakfast is as others have mentioned, good or ok, but not great. However, it's free and they work really hard keeping things stocked. I, like others wish there was a little more fruit to choose from, but that does cost. So I'd rather get the great rates and find a store and keep fruit in the fridge in the room. Can't comment on the food at night that's offered Mon-Thurs.

We did not use the pool, so can't comment on that. However, as others have mentioned it is on the small side, but if you have small kids they'll still be happy.

If in San Diego again and needed the space like this again, would for sure stay here again. There were only a few things in the room that were a nuisance. Our bed in the downstairs bedroom squeaked so loud ever time you got into or out of, rolled over, or even adjusted your pillows. Was always afraid it would wake the 4 yr old sleeping on the sofa/sleeper. And the ceiling fan in the living room was horrible! We tried to turn it on the first day since we arrived right before they got the cool down they most desperately needed. It moved back and forth so much even on the lowest setting we thought it would fall out of ceiling and was so loud. We just laughed and turned it off and never on again.

As far as where this place is located. Well, we had a rental car and drove everywhere. And feel you really need one to get around. We found a Target a ways down the road by a Costco and got our waters, fruit, milk and other things we needed. It wasn't in walking distance. However, if you do have a car, most of the major attractions or beaches are a good 15-20 min's drive. It's a central location for sure, but not walking distance to any of the attractions, beaches, or good restaurants.

Was the start to a great vacation. Extremely happy we picked this RI.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Hi Lovetolearn!

I must say that I truly loved your review and I am happy that you took the time to write a thoughtful and detailed description of your experience at our residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Central. It is great to have travelers such as yourself take the time to offer such valuable feedback. By process of elimination, I will determine the room in which you stayed and definitely have the ceiling fan checked as well as the bed. Both seem to be easy fixes.

Thanks again for your comments and we certainly hope that you will make it a point to stay with us the next time you are in san Diego.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Unfortunately, we experienced a house fire. Our insurance carrier, USSA, promised to relocate us to a pet friendly hotel. ALE Solutions called and said that we would be checking into the Residence Inn as soon as we could get the dogs, work clothing for my husband and necessary items ready. We were two days late checking in, as we had to pack out. For non-military folks, that's remove all of your personal belongings from the residence. As all of my belongings were being boxed by SERVPRO, I decided it was time for me to get out of Dodge. We checked in, and my tranquility was instantly restored. The Queen Studio was roomy, clean and had a homey atmosphere, and was enjoyable place to spend the home restoration period. I had a call from the desk to see if everything was alright, and if we needed anything?

The staff was friendly, courteous and a joy to deal with on a daily basis. The location was very attractive and well maintained, and less than 5 miles from our home. There was ample space (actually a large parking area with grass) to walk my two dogs. Baby and Doodles loved the staff and going to the lobby to see their new friends when I picked up the daily paper. There is a special bond between Amanda who my Shih-Tzu, Baby, loves. We've been back to visit since checking out. Both dogs loved Faveola from Housekeeping, and looked forward to hearing her knock. Jon, Ivan, Candace, Jasmine, Tessie, Amanda, Paul, and the "New Mommie" Michelle were top drawer; as was the Housekeeping Manager who stopped by frequently to say hello.

The excellent kitchen staff were simply wonderful. They were never too busy to assist you, when you needed assistance. They turned out sumptuous meals. They taught me how to operate their waffle irons. I got spoiled by their daily buffet breakfasts, and Monday Comfort Foods. Actually, I gained 7pounds during the 8 plus weeks.

I can't say enough about my stay at the Residence Inn, other than I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hi PeggyAnn43! Thanks so much for your candid review of our Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Central. We all so much enjoyed meeting you and Baby and Doodles. How cute that Amanda and your dogs had such a bond. As I mentioned in my email to you previously, please stop by the next time you have the chance and say hello. Bring Baby and Doodles too.

Rialto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I was very impressed by the room it was extremely spacious and extremely clean. The entire facility was immaculate. They have a breakfast and dinner buffet that was quite extensive even with beer and or a glass a wine. Great location near all. Staff is very courteous and polite the manager Jon was very helpful and willing to advise us where we may enjoy going during our vacation. Ivan the gentleman that checked us in also was very friendly and provided great customer service. :-) I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hi katsue4599! Thank you so much for your candid review of our Residence Inn by Marriott San Diego Central. I am so happy that you appreciated the level of service that we provide. Ivan is a tremendous asset to our hotel and I am thankful that I am able to work with him. Thank you also for recognizing his "Spirit to Serve". It seems that you were able to take advantage of many of our amenities and your review will definitely benefit future travelers.

Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you on your return trip to San Diego and to our hotel.

Jonathan Correll

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Central? Share your experiences!