“very good” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Modiin, Israel
“very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

we stayed 3 nights in the Residence Inn by Marriott hotel. the appartment was very comfortable and large; it had two bedrooms, a living room, a kitchen, two bathrooms, all in two seperate floors. Enough space for a family of 5 (and even 6).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hi TalTul 2006! Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. The penthouse suites are truly large and I am glad that it met your needs. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to San Diego in the future.

At Your Service,

Jonathan Correll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Paid a total of $341 (tax and fees included, with an AARP discount) for three nights at this hotel. Very positive experience. Being a bit on the parsimonious side, I usually stay in cheaper places when visiting San Diego, but I had my girlfriend with me, so now I'm spoiled and will stay here routinely as long as the price stays reasonable. Everything and everyone worked very well. Very comfortable here, nice and quiet, suited our style and needs. I asked for three extra pillows and received them immediately, with a smile. Even the internet connection was very good (this, I found out, because a router that serves several rooms was in my room). As usual, I declined daily room cleanings for the three nights, so I cannot comment on the housekeeping. The only thing missing was a safe in the room, but the front desk will store valuables. The hotel is close to major highways (805, 15, 163), but there was no traffic noise in my room. You will need to drive to a restaurant. Speaking of food, the free breakfast offered hot, edible food buffet style -- standard fare, including scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, sausage, dry cereal -- with more variety and quantity than I expected at this price. All the structures are two-story "houses" with everything needed for a longish stay, including full size stove, microwave, fridge, cookware, dishes, and flatware -- so the living is like a newish New York City studio apartment. The units are cooled and heated centrally, so there is no noisy a/c or fans -- just the relatively quiet sound of the ductwork vents. Our room had its own electronic programmable thermostat, which was effective and very welcome. There are no elevators, so for those who cannot haul heavy luggage up a flight of stairs, ask for a ground-floor room; I'm not sure whether anyone is available to help with carry bags. When they renovate, besides a wall safe, they should install twin bathroom sinks. Overall, a very good value.

Room Tip: I cannot rate the restaurant or room service as I used neither.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Hi Franklin R! Thank you so very much for your candid review of our property. Your review was spot on and I am pleased that we were able to earn your praise. I agree that in-room safes would be a nice feature and I look forward to the day when it becomes a standard for our brand. The staff works hard to exceed our guest's expectations and I am happy that we succeeded. I also look forward to sharing your comments with the entire staff at our next luncheon.

Safe travels and we look forward to hosting you on your return trip to San Diego.

At Your Service,

san antonio, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here in mid August 2013 for the first part of a family vacation. This is an older Residence Inn and it is obvious from some of the facilities like faucets, toilets, and showers. My biggest problem was the bathroom- sink and shower did not drain fast enough so the water stuck around for while. The beds were extremely comfortable and the "small house" feeling was nice for me and my family- we slept comfortably and almost felt at home since we also had a full fridge and stovetop which I used to make the kids breakfast. The hotel does offer free breakfast however, when you are traveling and get tired of the same routine, it's nice to be able to eat what you like at least once a day. There is a small basketball court, tennis court, barbecue area, outdoor swimming pool which is heated to around 80 degrees, and laundry mat on the premises which make the hotel much like a home away from home. The staff was very friendly and cleaning team was courteous. A great plus is the location- it only took us about 15 minutes to get to the San Diego Zoo and less than 10 minutes to get a mall in La Jolla. In addition, the street next to the property is filled with restaurants, and supermarkets, and other small businesses.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hi FNA77! Thank you very much for the candid review of our property! Your review was spot -on and I look forward to sharing your comments with the entire staff. Our hotel style is the original style for Residence Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed our hotel and were able to use the facilities. Hopefully you will be able to come back to our hotel and enjoy San Diego next year!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed with our granddaughter and our son and his wife and 4 year old son for a week at this hotel. Nothing negative; it is a clean and safe environment; wonderful for families; pool was open early til late; 3 week night free dinners and great hot breakfast; the staff went out of their way (above and beyond) on every occasion we asked for assistance; nothing was too much trouble; we travel a lot and even at the most expensive hotels I have never had the experience we had here...it made our holiday that much more enjoyable having a clean, comfortable and safe place to return to in the evening; mainly families staying here as far as I could see; we had a two bedroom unit with a kitchen and living room which was cleaned every day; I would definately make this a place to return to and highly recommend it a a base for anyone visting San Diego.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hi Noble45 and thank you very much for your review of our hotel. I always look forward to sharing all reviews with the staff and I look forward to passing your comments on at our Wednesday meeting. Staff service is always of the utmost importance and I am also happy that you enjoyed the renovated facilities. We look forward to hosting you when your travels bring you back to San Diego.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

First I want to apologize for my english because I am a French speaking person. It was our second year in a row at San Diego but our first time at this place. There's nothing negative to say about this place, it's clean everywhere, nice room remodeled, good breakfast buffet ,they try hard to keep it full at all times but sometimes it get hard especially during the weekend when there's a lot of people and kids that does not care about the others that are there and eat like if it was the last meel of there life! The Bbq is cleaned every day , the only thing that I think is missing is some more tables and chairs to sit not near the pool but between the buildings where there's the second Bbq . It would be a nice place to relax far from the action especially during the weekend. For the rest everything is nice i recommend to everyone this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
Hi Sauterelle18. Thanks for your review and for staying with us during your second trip to San Diego. I am happy that you enjoyed the accommodations and the breakfast. Safe travels and hopefully you will be able to join us for a 2nd time next year.

Creswell, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've stayed here 2 times. 6 days each time.

This is a great place to stay for business. Probably best for families and friends to stay there. The Service is amazing all the staff was very nice. Always helpful and had a smile on their faces. They seemed to enjoy their jobs. It was just a nice place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Hi James! Thank you so much for your review of our property. I look forward to sharing your comments with our staff at our next daily huddle. Customer service is so important and I am glad that our staff was able to leave a lasting impression on you! Take care and hopefully your travels will bring you back to San Diego
Tehachapi, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

On my way to San Diego and no reservation. Usually stay at another hotel, thought a room would become available. No, didn't happen, so I started looking manually. Like MARRIOTT properties a lot. So I drove to Residence Inn, no rooms at Gov rate for the 8 days I wanted. Along comes Rachel Lynch- Director of Sales, gave me a suite. Just a wonderful thing for her to do. Marriott's have been very good to me, so I am making Residence Inn, my permanent hotel when I come to San Diego, or any place else. How is that for customer friendly? The suite is plush with every amenity. Thank you Rachel.

Room Tip: Don't be picky, all the rooms are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Frank S, you made my weekend! Thanks so much for kind words regarding our Director of Sales, Rachel Lynch and the recently upgraded renovations. Our owners spared no expense when it came to upgrading our guest rooms and public areas. Our guests love the new appliances, furnishings and new gatehouse, pool area and firepit. Comments such as yours make us feel great about the job we do every day. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you are in San Diego.

Jonathan Correll

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Central? Share your experiences!