“Good stay, like a studio apartment” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #35 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Good stay, like a studio apartment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Well equipped rooms, including bags of popcorn you can pop in microwave. They even have a jar of candies, little things that make it pleasant, unlike those higher end hotels where you get robbed $5 if you eat a candy! The best feature is the nightly snack socials 3 days a week that can fill you up to consider it as dinner. Clean beddings. The only thing is, the food I saved in the ref was thrown away because they thought I checked out already. However, I was compensated for the amount of the food. I think fresh cut fruits would be a good addition too, rather than just canned pineapples for breakfast. This would be a good place to stay for families.

Room Tip: ask for a room closer to front of hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Greetings Soverdi and thanks so much for your honest review of our property. I am happy that you enjoyed the accommodations and the value associated with the evening social experiences. Our staff works hard to deliver and exceptional guest experience and I am happy that we were able to deliver on our end. The rooms were also recently renovated to include all new stainless steel appliances and the additions of the new pool furniture and firepit have added to our guest's experiences. Hopefully you can stay with us again when your travels bring you to San Diego. Safe travels!

Jonathan Correll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a multicity vacation all booked at Residence Inns across the South Coast, we stayed longest here and it was my least favorite. We certainly were there during peak season, the kids enjoyed their bedroom being up in the loft and all enjoyed the Happy Hour asnd that was about it. Breakfast was a mess, items ran out and took a while to be replaced and there was no palce to sit. Management could have extended breakfast time from 6-9am or put more seats on the patio...but no!
Our room was facing the San diego Dump central and every morning at 5am you got woken up by garbage trucks. also at night about 7-10pm there was loud noise from the barracks not too far. Twice the cleaning ladies forgot to clean our room and said we had a sign on the door not to have the room cleaned yet that was not the case. and yes there is no safe in the room.

Room Tip: Choose a block with an even number to avoid the noise from Garbage trucks. Choose the two bed loft...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi Wema34! Thanks so much for your candid review of our property. I am sorry that we are your least favorite Residence inn, however I understand that we cannot always satisfy everyone 100% of the time. Summer is busy in San Diego and our clientele changes from the Corporate traveler to family travelers. Breakfast gets especially busy and it is always our intent to keep the breakfast stocked. Our focus is always on the guest and I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. We have extended our breakfast from the brand standard hours of 6:30-9 a.m to 6a.m until 9 a.m. Safe Deposit boxes are available at the front desk and I agree that it would be an added plus to have safes in the room. I look forward to the day when it becomes a brand standard as well.

Thanks again for your review and for your loyalty to Marriott.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks in between moves. The rooms were clean and beds were comfortable. The hotel is being renovated so the furniture is now modern with new appliances. My only complaint is that the wifi is horrible, especially in the evening when everyone is in their rooms. It would take several minutes to load a page, if it would even load. If you need to do business, you're better off going to Starbucks nearby, which I did several times. Also, the parking can be limited at night, especially on weekends. The breakfast was decent and the staff were all helpful and friendly. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay here again if needed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you very much for your candid review of our hotel. The renovation on the guest rooms and public areas is nearing completion and our guests love the improvements. The Wi-Fi has improved significantly since its inception, however, we are still working with our internet provider to continually improve the service for our guests. We have limited the usage in each suite which has helped significantly. In the future we anticipate even faster and more reliable service for our guests.
Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The hotel was fine except there is no safe in the room. Everyday before leaving I would hide the iPads/iPhone if left in the room. We were there for the wedding of our daughter and on wedding day left in a hurry with my husbands iPad and sons iPhone on the desk. When we came back late that night and started to pack we noticed them missing. We looked everywhere including under furniture etc. it was soon clear they had been stolen. We currently live and Asia and have travelled many places in the world but have never had anything stolen. Unfortunate and just wanted to mention this as a caution. You may want to choose a hotel with safes or a better policy for discouraging theft as there appears to be none in this hotel after discussing this with the supervisor. We filed a report with the police but had to leave the next day for Asia so all my be lost.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks so much for the comments regarding our hotel. It is true that we do not have in-room safes. We do provide our guests with safe deposit boxes at the front desk. In the future, I look forward to the day that Marriott requires in-room safes for all properties. Our industry is based on trust and I am very thankful that all of our employees are trustworthy as well as screened for past offenses. Most importantly, I am happy that the situation turned out as well as it did for both of us. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you and your family on your return visit.
Stavanger, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel twice--once in 2001 for nearly four months after a flood in our home and once in 2013 for two weeks after we sold our house to move. Both times, our stay was pleasant and enjoyable. The best part of this hotel is the staff. They were super friendly in 2001, basically treating us and all the other guest like family. To my surprise, the staff was just as friendly and helpful this time. The two-bedroom suite we stayed in was clean and well equipped. It was a little run down, but the hotel is being renovated so that won't be an issue soon. But for the suite being a little run down, I would have given the hotel a five star review.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Greetings tla852! Thank you so much for your review and of course...your return visit to our property. Thanks for the kudos on the staff service. We work hard to deliver WOW service to our guests and I am very pleased to know that we came through for you. I always share the feed back we receive from our guests and I look forward to reading your comments at our daily huddle today. Our renovation should be complete by the end of June and I look forward to hosting you again on your return visit. Happy travels.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Rooms are big and clean and love having a full kitchen. Service was great as were the free breakfasts and the free cookies at the front desk. Close to downtown San Diego and easy on and off freeway access.

Room Tip: I like rooms up front by the pool and front desk.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thanks Tea Party for your review of our property. I am happy that you enjoyed the proximity of our hotel to some of San Diego's great destination spots and our access to freeways. I am also pleased that the breakfasts and cookies hit the spot too. Hopefully your travels will bring you back to our property in the future. Happy travels!

Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Through a total mess up with our reservation the management and staff dug in and were able to not only get us a room but at a lower price and on the bottom floor which for me is a must. We had a great time and the breakfast were fresh, hot and filling for our long days away. I strongly recommend this location for its location and the ease of going anywhere in the county quickly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
hale1922, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Central, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Hi Cris! Thank you so much for your nice comments. I look forward to sharing them with the breakfast staff and the Front Offfice staff. I am happy that we were able to fix your reservation and get you the room type you wanted and that the breakfast was a great way to start your day. Hopefully your travels will bring you and your family back to San Diego.

At Your Service,

Jonathan Correll

Been to Residence Inn San Diego Central? Share your experiences!