“Great location and ambience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Great location and ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

This hotel is in an old bank building in the gas lamp district of San Diego. So perfect location for dinner and also characterful - the entrance lobby/bar/breakfast room is particularly memorable with marble fittings including the old counters and a crazy Tudor style wooden ceiling.
The rooms were big, solid, nicely decorated. Staff friendly. The breakfast was particularly tasty, the French toast was amazing.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed at this hotel during winter 2015. The hotel is located in the heart of the Gaslamp district, close to all restauraurants and walking distance to all downtown locations.
My room was not renovated, but still spacious and comfortable. free wi-fi and friendly service. hotel is close to the trolley station which allows to save the outrageus parking fee of 40$ a day.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Palo Alto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I specifically liked the room interiors. Non traditional boutique style ambience gave the room a beautiful and lively character. I love the colorful accent pillows! The staff were friendly and accommodating especially the housekeepers. They go an extra mile to make our stay memorable and comfortable. Centrally located in the Gaslamp area allowing me to access the commercial district by foot. A placebo will not hesitate to go back to over and over !

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Costa Mesa, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here four nights; first time in this hotel. You may know that this is a converted bank building, and it definitely has the coolest building décor I’ve ever seen in a hotel. The rooms have a clean, minimalist vibe (dark wood; white everything else), and my room was fairly quiet except for a nearby wedding party and some utility noise. [Disclosure: I am a Marriott Gold Elite Member]

My room was on the 11th floor in the farthest corner away from the elevators. I was moved into this “executive suite” after my original room facing Broadway had workers on scaffolding making lots of noise right outside my window. This “suite” (one room, really) was slightly larger than the basic room, and I was thankful for the little couch and added counter space.

My bathroom was standard in size and appointments. The shower produced good pressure, quick hot water and had one of those curtains that billows into the tub when the shower is turned on (I’ve seen these everywhere).

The windows are double-paned and do a decent job of blocking out street noise. I could still hear sirens, jackhammers and music from loud car stereos, but all the normal ambient city sounds were nicely wiped out.

The room noise is mostly from the inside, a little from the A/C compressors but mostly from the in-the-wall plumbing. I suppose these are typically minimized during stays at temperate times of the year … in rooms where the neighbors don’t wake up early or go to bed late (I just cross my fingers).

The front desk staff and bellman were superlative; truly nice and helpful people. There was an issue with a nearby wedding party that woke me up at 2 AM, so I complained and the noise went away in about 10 minutes. I was told that the floors are “patrolled” regularly during the night, but I guess the staff missed this, oh well.

Hope these tips help:
* Marriott charges $40/night for valet parking. If you’re familiar with the downtown area, you may want to select a better deal in a self-park lot. I went with the valet because I valued the convenience and somewhat more secure lot. The valet guys always had my car ready in ~10 minutes after I called.
* Elevators are at one end of the hotel, near the low numbers. The ice machine is near room xx05.
* There is no exercise room in the hotel. The front desk staff recommended that I try 24-Hour Fitness a couple blocks away to see if I could get a short-term free pass (after which salespersons would call me incessantly, I suppose).
* The “business center” (main floor) has three computers available for general use. I really appreciate that!
* Trolley service is very convenient. The Orange and Blue Lines have a stop one block to the north. Buses are everywhere.
* THIS IS FUN: take the elevator down to Level S and explore the floor where the original vaults were (some are conference rooms now). Be sure to bring your camera.

Green Features: You can get Marriott points by agreeing not to have your room serviced during your stay. Good idea.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Anaheim Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We wanted to stay in downtown & close to all the action in Gas Lamp. This was a perfect location for us & close to everything. It was a nice & clean hotel and reasonably priced. We had a great vacation & walked to restaurants in downtown. It was a good experience & we love San Diego.

Room Tip: This is an old historical building that was remodeled & changed to a hotel. Overall is was nice.
Green Features: The staff were friendly & there were signs for conserving water in the bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here once 15 years ago when they first opened. I recently stayed again right after a major room renovation. What I love about this property is its not really a Courtyard. I mean it is by name but because its a historic building nothing is cookie cutter. It oozes character. The only down side to that is some of the rooms are odd shaped and small. The floors only have about 15 rooms each though the hallways are a bit loud.

The staff was great, especially the valet. For good reviews get on the 10th floor or above, the top being 14th. The location is nice, just steps from the Gas Lamp.

Room Tip: 14th floor is top. Try for a view out the front of the hotel, facing Broadway.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We traveled to San Diego for Valentine's weekend and chose Courtyard Gaslamp after doing some research online. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the airport. When we arrived just after noon, our room was ready so we took our bags to the room. Our room, a Double Queen w/City View was very nice and clean. It was just a standard size room and bathroom but plenty of room for us because we were exploring San Diego most of the trip. The closet was large enough and there was a safe in the closet as well.

We really liked the location of this hotel because the USS Midway was only a 15 minute walk and the San Diego tour we took the next day was a 15 minute walk. There are so many restaurants in the Gaslamp district you're sure to find a restaurant you'll like within walking distance. We didn't need a taxi during our trip except for round trip transport to the airport..the fare each way was just under $15.

The beds in our room were very comfortable and firm. The room/hotel was very quiet too. In spite of the great location in the Gaslamp district, the hotel is away from the streets with the noisy bars. We're both light sleepers but we slept great.

The exterior and common areas of the hotel are beautiful thanks to the preserved architecture. The hotel was originally a bank...built in 1928. It is my understanding that the hotel rooms were updated in the last couple of years. We would not hesitate to stay again. The only negative was I had requested feather free pillows and comforter when making the online reservation but the request had not gone through according to the front desk staff. Within 5 minutes of getting in our room, housekeeping brought feather free pillows and we were all set. The room also had a microwave and mini fridge in the enterainment cabinet.

Room Tip: If you're a business traveler and need a desk, our Double Queen Room with City View did not have...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!