Stayed here four nights; first time in this hotel. You may know that this is a converted bank building, and it definitely has the coolest building décor I’ve ever seen in a hotel. The rooms have a clean, minimalist vibe (dark wood; white everything else), and my room was fairly quiet except for a nearby wedding party and some utility noise. [Disclosure: I am a Marriott Gold Elite Member]
My room was on the 11th floor in the farthest corner away from the elevators. I was moved into this “executive suite” after my original room facing Broadway had workers on scaffolding making lots of noise right outside my window. This “suite” (one room, really) was slightly larger than the basic room, and I was thankful for the little couch and added counter space.
My bathroom was standard in size and appointments. The shower produced good pressure, quick hot water and had one of those curtains that billows into the tub when the shower is turned on (I’ve seen these everywhere).
The windows are double-paned and do a decent job of blocking out street noise. I could still hear sirens, jackhammers and music from loud car stereos, but all the normal ambient city sounds were nicely wiped out.
The room noise is mostly from the inside, a little from the A/C compressors but mostly from the in-the-wall plumbing. I suppose these are typically minimized during stays at temperate times of the year … in rooms where the neighbors don’t wake up early or go to bed late (I just cross my fingers).
The front desk staff and bellman were superlative; truly nice and helpful people. There was an issue with a nearby wedding party that woke me up at 2 AM, so I complained and the noise went away in about 10 minutes. I was told that the floors are “patrolled” regularly during the night, but I guess the staff missed this, oh well.
Hope these tips help:
* Marriott charges $40/night for valet parking. If you’re familiar with the downtown area, you may want to select a better deal in a self-park lot. I went with the valet because I valued the convenience and somewhat more secure lot. The valet guys always had my car ready in ~10 minutes after I called.
* Elevators are at one end of the hotel, near the low numbers. The ice machine is near room xx05.
* There is no exercise room in the hotel. The front desk staff recommended that I try 24-Hour Fitness a couple blocks away to see if I could get a short-term free pass (after which salespersons would call me incessantly, I suppose).
* The “business center” (main floor) has three computers available for general use. I really appreciate that!
* Trolley service is very convenient. The Orange and Blue Lines have a stop one block to the north. Buses are everywhere.
* THIS IS FUN: take the elevator down to Level S and explore the floor where the original vaults were (some are conference rooms now). Be sure to bring your camera.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come experience the perfect hotel for your San Diego stay. Housed in a 1920's historic landmark building, the reinvented Courtyard San Diego Downtown welcomes guests with the sophisticated comfort of modern accommodations, while embracing the character of the distinguished former financial institution. From the moment you step through the revolving front doors, you will be whisked away to an inviting and intimate space to unwind, gather your thoughts, or share a laugh and a beverage with friends. Exquisite remnants of the former bank grace the interior of our hotel and mix with a fresh, contemporary style. Whether you are here for business or pleasure, you can expect impeccable service and an unbeatable location in the Gaslamp Quarter; offering hundreds of dining and entertainment options. We are conveniently located in the heart of the business district, walking distance to the waterfront and San Diego Convention Center, and minutes away from the San Diego International Airport and the world-famous San Diego Zoo. We are also just steps away from the San Diego Trolley which connects Downtown to Mission Valley, Chula Vista, and the International Border. Reinvented with fresh decor and design, our guest rooms and suites provide superior accommodations for individual travelers, business groups, event groups and families. Each of our rooms offers luxury bedding, free high-speed Internet and microwaves, refrigerators and safes in every room. After sightseeing or a day of meetings, enjoy delicious California cuisine at THE LOBBY or grab a snack at our 24-hour market. At the Courtyard San Diego Downtown, we're ready to serve up what you want - where you want. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, BookIt.com, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott San Diego Downtown Hotel San Diego
- Courtyard San Diego Downtown
- San Diego Marriott
- San Diego Courtyard