“Holiday Get Away in San Diego” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #11 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Holiday Get Away in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Awesome experience from all staff. Maximillian was superb. Bartenders, front desk could not have been better. Highly recommend. Historic character of hotel was fantastic. I did not expect a Courtyard to have this level of service. Pleasantly surprised.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have stayed twice at this property and its amazing. The customer service is the tops, rooms warm and cozy, the view is breath taking. Just steps out the door and you are in the hub of downtown. NO need to take your car as there is so much to do within a few blocks in any direction. I attended a sporting event and back for a wedding and was so pleased to be welcomed back by the staff and made me feel like I was coming home.

Room Tip: Every room is amazing
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This hotel is absolutely beautiful! The historic architecture provides a perfect ambiance for relaxing in the lobby and the happy hour is wonderful too. We were most impressed with the friendly and helpful staff. When we checked in and mentioned where we had reservations for dinner, Thea gave us two tickets for a glass of wine at the restaurant and offered a map of the area with detailed instructions to the theatre. Ramon was eager to get us popcorn at happy hour and made sure we had everything we needed. Breakfast was excellent too and once again the staff was fantastic. We are already looking for another excuse to visit again!

Room Tip: Try to get a room further from the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for the beautiful architecture as mentioned in other Tripadvisor reviews and we were not let down. The massive lobby can be enjoyed while having breakfast. Tried out the Trolley to get to the football game. It's impossible to get lost on the way to a game, just follow the happy fans in Charger's gear. Just ask concierge for advice on buying trolley tickets. Our Bellhop even gave us a ticket all ready to load a fare. (Costs just a bit more if you don't have that ticket). The huge crowd of friendly fans made the trolley even more fun. One note - they tried to avoid giving us the beautiful room we booked by putting us in a different one. But I returned to Reception and showed them a photo of the room we booked 6 months in advance and the front desk girls complied. Other than Ryann giving us the run-around at check-in the staff there really made our stay wonderful, all the valets, the servers, and the bellhops were so friendly and helpful. It really made a difference. No pool, but that's not why we came to stay. We had already hit the beaches and loved every minute of it!

Room Tip: Our room on a higher floor (quieter) had the *arched windows as seen in the Tripadvisor photo.* Not...
Green Features: They try to encourage guests like us who stay more than one night to let them know if they don't need fresh sheets to conserve water and energy.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Ridgecrest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Since I was working and my wife would be hanging out during the day I requested a nice view at check in. We were given a corner room with water view on the 11th floor. The hotel is beautiful and well staffed. To me it seems like the upscale hotels usually have uptight employees. That was definitely not the case here. They were friendly, helpful and kind of laid back in a way that me feel comfortable. The bed was really nice. I have a sleep number bed and generally am disappointed in other beds. I would definitely stay here again. Thanks Carlton, Maxamillian and all the other staff.

Room Tip: If you want something just ask.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Kent, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

What a truly stunning hotel. An old bank changed into a hotel and so beautifully decorated. An amazing diner 5 minute walk from hotel. Best area for restaurants so lively and such a vibrant city.

I never thought San Diego would appeal to me but I now want to go back for at least a week!

Room extremely comfortable, we stayed in 7 hotels across California this was the best hotel!

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Bellevue, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First of all, I love well preserved historic buildings and the Marriott has done an excellent job maintaining the feel of the old bank while converting it to a hotel. Unfortunately, we were placed in the worst possible room. I travel extensively, and this was the worst night I have ever had staying at a hotel.

Through my husband's employer, we were able to get a pretty good deal on our room. We were actually really excited about the opportunity to stay here. I thought the location was going to be great, since we could walk to Gas Lamp so easily without being in the middle of it. Apparently though, good deal equates to TERRIBLE room. We were placed in a room on the second floor in the front corner, right above the main hotel entrance, a bus stop, and the valet service. So basically, we heard people talking and shouting, buses coming and going, car traffic, ALL NIGHT LONG. It was unbearably loud and I doubt anyone can sleep in these conditions. And the bathroom is actually exposed to the main entrance too, there is a window with a flimsy shade on it. I don't understand why they made this space into a room. No one should have to stay here.

We travel frequently and will definitely be going back to San Diego. This stay makes me never want to stay at this hotel, and potentially never stay at Marriotts again.

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Veronica P, Guest Services Supervisor at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 1 week ago
JSBear, Thank you for your review. I apologize that you were unhappy with your room choice. Although our location is convenient to the best restaurants, night life, and local attractions of San Diego, we are in the center of the busy downtown area. With the historic aspect of our building, our room options are limited. However, we do our best to provide guests with the room that best fits their needs. I apologize we were not able to meet those needs on your stay. I sincerely hope this will not detract you from visiting us again. On your next trip, feel free to call ahead to request a higher floor away from the street. We would be more than happy to accommodate you and be able to win you back as a valued guest.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!