“Unique building, recently updated; great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hebron, Kentucky
“Unique building, recently updated; great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights during a recent trip down the California coast with my husband, sister and her boyfriend. We were quite impressed with the building. The lobby and meeting room area are perfectly preserved with 1930's-era detailing and slight modern touches. The upper floors are very office-like, but the rooms are modern and beautifully decorated. The beds were very comfortable, the mini fridge was great to have, and the shower head was adjustable. The only issue we had was the room temperature seemed quite inconsistent, even with the A/C running. The first night we had the A/C on all night, set at about 67 and we woke up a few times thinking it was too warm, plus the A/C unit is quite loud when it turns on. But the second night we set it lower and just let the fan run which helped a lot. I also would have thought being in the downtown area that it would be loud with street noise but we were on the 9th floor and hardly heard a thing. Plus, it's an easy walk to the great restaurants and bars of the Gaslamp district.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Korean first
Warrington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

The hotel is housed in the former offices of a bank. This has some magnificent original features including the bank's vault and the main banking hall. But this impressive interior is not matched by the quality of the accommodation.

We stayed five nights in a Deluxe King room. I had not realised at the time of booking that this is not a 'full service' hotel. So it was surprising at first to find: no room service after 11.00pm (we arrived in the early hours of the morning after a 6-hour flight and nothing to eat); no bottled water in the room; no bathrobes; no shaving mirror; no bar-staff until after 3.00pm on a Sunday. In short, very little that could be considered 'luxury'. The room had a very corporate feel and the fact that they were once a bank's offices does not help. I disliked the room, with its repulsive picture of a marauding octopus, though my wife was more positive. But it did have both a fridge and microwave oven.

The hotel is well-situated on the Northern edge of the Gas Lamp Quarter. We walked to Balboa Park and back, no problem. The staff were generally friendly and helpful. There is a laundry and exercise room. What it does, it does reasonably well. But if you are looking for something special this is probably not it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thea T, Front Office Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
n0rbr8ck, Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you were not impressed with our property. I am glad to hear you were able to enjoy our convenient location as well as our friendly staff. As you mentioned, we are not a full service property and due to this we are not able to have 24 hour room service or the other amenities you mentioned. We do what we can to make all of our guests comfortable despite not having these available. We do try recommending several 24 hr or delivery restaurants in the area for our late night travelers. Being in San Diego there are many great local restaurants open late. I apologize we were not able to meet all of your needs on this trip, but I am glad that you enjoyed what we had to offer. Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback and I hope you choose to visit us again in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The hotel is in an old bank building with coffered ceilings and a lot of original marble. Once inside the rooms they are modern and well appointed with a desk, small microwave and fridge. It was within walking distance of the Gaslamp district and about 15 minutes to the Seaport village. The rooms seemed somewhat small but were spotless and decorated in a contemporary style. I had an inside room and heard not a sound.
The front desk staff was pleasant to me but were not to a colleague who left her gov't ID at home. We were traveling as a group for a job with the Navy. I think she could have been more considerate.

Room Tip: Inside rooms were very quiet away from the street, however you have no view of anything except the r...
Green Features: You can choose to skip daily housekeeping if staying over 2 days and you are rewarded with more Marriott rewards points.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This building used to be a bank in early 1900's. The lobby is beautiful and they've kept a few of the old bank features too. Check out the lower lever to see the old vault which they converted into a meeting room.
The rooms were clean and quiet and the staff was curtious.
Only a few blocks to walk to gaslamp bars and restaurants

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I go to SD every year for my birthday. I love this hotel. Extremely clean as the Marriott standards. It's in a great location. Really close to The Shout House. My friends and I just strolled down Gaslamp and back. No need to use the car. Even walking to the harbor is a pleasant walk.

• Stayed July 2014
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of days in June 2014. I had my parents with me and asked the hotel to have us on the same floor if possible. When this couldn't happen, they bumped up one of the rooms to an executive suite. I am a Marriott Rewards member, but the hotel seemed to go out of their way to be accommodating to a number of guests. I also asked for another room change as my room was next to a bachelorette room. They were able to get me into a nice room on another floor and it was very quiet. The rooms were very spacious, modern, and clean. This is an old bank building with a vault on the lower floor with meeting rooms. It had a very nice historic feel with a modern touch and is a must see. The lobby is beautiful and they have happy hour ever day (including Sundays) at the bar. Before our outings for the day, we had breakfast a couple of times in the lobby area and it was a good breakfast. Joanna gave us exceptional service with a smile! The parking is a bit steep if you have a car ($38 a day) but this hotel is within walking distance of a number of good restaurants downtown. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be back for a future visit.

Room Tip: corner rooms are great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed at the CY because we got a better rate than Marriott gaslamp, photos on the site drew me in since my fave color is purple, so why not?! So glad we did, service was excellent! Josh the Bartender was uh-mazing! He took care of us, made sure we ate since we were celebrating a birthday and made our home at the bar, knew what we were drinking, just overall classy, not what I expected from a CY but very pleasantly welcome. I'll definitely be back just because of Josh! He' the kind of bartender you follow! Night manager Sal was great too, engaged us in conversation, not what you get from the managers really but he took the time out to make a personal connection not just guests at the hotel. Awesome stay, clean, comfortable and spacious rooms, great staff, will be back!

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!