“Beautiful old Building” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Beautiful old Building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

The hotel is in an old bank building with coffered ceilings and a lot of original marble. Once inside the rooms they are modern and well appointed with a desk, small microwave and fridge. It was within walking distance of the Gaslamp district and about 15 minutes to the Seaport village. The rooms seemed somewhat small but were spotless and decorated in a contemporary style. I had an inside room and heard not a sound.
The front desk staff was pleasant to me but were not to a colleague who left her gov't ID at home. We were traveling as a group for a job with the Navy. I think she could have been more considerate.

Room Tip: Inside rooms were very quiet away from the street, however you have no view of anything except the r...
Green Features: You can choose to skip daily housekeeping if staying over 2 days and you are rewarded with more Marriott rewards points.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Korean first
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This building used to be a bank in early 1900's. The lobby is beautiful and they've kept a few of the old bank features too. Check out the lower lever to see the old vault which they converted into a meeting room.
The rooms were clean and quiet and the staff was curtious.
Only a few blocks to walk to gaslamp bars and restaurants

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

I go to SD every year for my birthday. I love this hotel. Extremely clean as the Marriott standards. It's in a great location. Really close to The Shout House. My friends and I just strolled down Gaslamp and back. No need to use the car. Even walking to the harbor is a pleasant walk.

• Stayed July 2014
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a couple of days in June 2014. I had my parents with me and asked the hotel to have us on the same floor if possible. When this couldn't happen, they bumped up one of the rooms to an executive suite. I am a Marriott Rewards member, but the hotel seemed to go out of their way to be accommodating to a number of guests. I also asked for another room change as my room was next to a bachelorette room. They were able to get me into a nice room on another floor and it was very quiet. The rooms were very spacious, modern, and clean. This is an old bank building with a vault on the lower floor with meeting rooms. It had a very nice historic feel with a modern touch and is a must see. The lobby is beautiful and they have happy hour ever day (including Sundays) at the bar. Before our outings for the day, we had breakfast a couple of times in the lobby area and it was a good breakfast. Joanna gave us exceptional service with a smile! The parking is a bit steep if you have a car ($38 a day) but this hotel is within walking distance of a number of good restaurants downtown. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will be back for a future visit.

Room Tip: corner rooms are great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed at the CY because we got a better rate than Marriott gaslamp, photos on the site drew me in since my fave color is purple, so why not?! So glad we did, service was excellent! Josh the Bartender was uh-mazing! He took care of us, made sure we ate since we were celebrating a birthday and made our home at the bar, knew what we were drinking, just overall classy, not what I expected from a CY but very pleasantly welcome. I'll definitely be back just because of Josh! He' the kind of bartender you follow! Night manager Sal was great too, engaged us in conversation, not what you get from the managers really but he took the time out to make a personal connection not just guests at the hotel. Awesome stay, clean, comfortable and spacious rooms, great staff, will be back!

• Stayed August 2014
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at this hotel in May of this year (2014). I can't find the words to describe the service at this hotel - except "WOW"! Thank you to the Bartender - Krys Ash who was beyond helpful and went above any expectations I had with respect to customer service - you need an award, my friend! Thank you to Lisa Morales for helping to direct me to the outlets for my much needed shopping experience! Thank you to Ryann Bernal for WALKING me to the train to make sure I purchased the correct ticket and boarded the right trolley! Every single person who I had the pleasure of speaking with at this hotel was so friendly - from the valets to the morning folks at the coffee counter to the front desk employees etc. Not only is the service great - it is a unique place, located in what used to be a bank so you can still view the old vaults on the lower lever - which have been turned into meeting rooms (really cool). And finally - the location is fantastic - walking distance to the conference center and waterfront. I highly recommend this hotel and will stay there again during my next visit to the Gaslamp District!

Green Features: Excellent environmentally-friendly practices with a linen reuse program and it was wonderful that they gave you the option of having your room tidied/cleaned or not.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I was initially disappointed with this hotel choice due to the location.

However, the service, the service, the service, blew this hotel out of the water! From the staff at check in, to the maint crew, to the personal touches from the housekeeping staff, to the (almost guilt making) service from the wait staff and bartender. Heres a short list of some of my personal interactions with the staff. Upon check in, I was allowed to check in early,however my room was dark and the front desk cheerily offered another room and even met me as I was exiting the elevator on my way to get a new key. The shower would not drain, and when I came back after lunch, there was a signed note from the maint crew explaining the repair. I had several personal notes in the room from the Housekeeping staff with 2 pieces of chocklates. On one particular day, I had a few friends over to use the room to shower and change before a formal event. I called down for more towels, and the Housekeeping staff delivered an abundance of towels and grooming products. The bartender did not have a wine I had requested, but took the time to have me sample a few sips of wine until I had discovered a new wine that I just love. The wait staff at the bar, took the time to listen and find just the perfect meal to match my mood and my new favorite wine. When I learned to my dismay that one of the Happy Hour appetizers was not available the next day, he found something new, that turned out to be my new favorite! The wait staff in the restaurant ( which I did not know existed for the first few days ) was so warm, friendly and accommodating, that I was starting to feel guilty! But in a good way! I hesitate to say this, but I Love the fact that all of the staff reflect the people that I know and love, it's hard to explain, but I suggest you see for yourself.

Did I mention the food was incredible ( please order the Happy Hour specials), The quality and quantity of the appetizers are equal to a meal, and the prices are unbelievably reasonable. We ended up having many of our meals here, even though we were in the Gaslamp (5th). OMG, there's a Starbucks right there at the bar in the morning, with delicious pastries! Plus, they have a small "shop" that has fresh supplies if you choose to dine/snack in your room. I just wish the "store" had popcorn. ( hint hint)

The location turned out to be a bonus due to the easy proximity to the many theatres within easy walking distance. It doesn't hurt that the Mall and Ross is about a block away. The trolley was right behind the hotel and having a 7/11 next door and CVS half a block away made getting room amenities that much easier.

Rooms were large, clean, cool, and quiet, with a refrigerator and microwave.

Who Knew?

I

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that do not face a brick wall if you want some sunlight.
Green Features: You can ask them skip maid service in exchange for points.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!