“Excellent stay but not easiest place to find.” 5 of 5 stars

Parking Package Rate
Ranked #12 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Burke, Virginia
“Excellent stay but not easiest place to find.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I had a lovely two day stay at this delightful hotel with excellent front desk staff. It is a masterpiece of architecture having been converted from a beautiful bank built in the 1920s. A must is to go downstairs and see the vault which has been turned into meeting room space. Restaurant serves a decent breakfast-- however this Courtyard doesn't offer guests coffee in the lobby like most- you have to pay for Starbucks equivalent at the bar. The front desk was quite helpful in orienting us to the Gaslamp district and even provided several excellent suggestions for restaurants to meet our interests. The valet team did a terrific job in facilitating our arrival and departure but the valet stand is on a side street and therefore with all of the one way streets in the area, awfully hard to get to. GPS didn't really do the job. The hotel is well located next to Gaslamp and not far from the highway entrance that will allow you to go to Coronado which is well worth a visit across the bay.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better for the noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
maadiman,

We are glad you found our front desk and valet staff’s service excellent to complement our clean and beautiful hotel. The easiest GPS address to use would be 1027 6th Ave. and if you are having troubling please call the hotel and our front desk staff can orient you to our location based on where you are coming from. We do offer Starbucks in our lobby bar all day but also have complimentary coffee for our guests in the guest rooms. We are happy you were able to take advantage of our convenient location in the Gaslamp District and proximity to local attractions and hope you make use of our property for future stays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Saint Charles, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

There are a lot oF good things about this hotel, but offset by a number of inconsistencies that lower the overall rating. Beautiful historic bank building, converted to a hotel in 1999. Beautiful woods and marble adorn the lobby. The conference rooms are inside the safe deposit vault, original telephone booths are operational, which is a good thing since there is no cell phone reception on that level. The hotel staff is helpful, pleasant.

We had a very large room, and from discussions with other attendees, apparently much larger than the other King rooms. However, the closet is a mere 42" wide, contains a floor safe that takes up the bottom half. The closet bar is set four feet up, only rod in the closet. Another rod could easily be installed, it is a nine foot ceiling. There is what looks to be a dresser on which the TV sits. Opening the doors, half is filled with a refrigerator, on the other side a shelf containing a microwave and finally two tiny drawers that accommodate a couple pair of socks. The night stand drawers are filled with literature so where do you put your things. The bath is large but doesn't utilize the space. The room could use several pieces of furniture.

The location is at the beginning of Lamplight district so there is proximity of good restaurants, pubs and clubs if that's your thing. If you are a smoker, you are forced to stand on the street corner constantly harassed by the homeless.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Nineunder,

We are thankful you enjoyed the historic character of our hotel alongside our friendly front desk team. Our meeting areas are preferred to be quiet areas to accommodate our corporate meetings which would be the reason we haven’t addressed cell phone reception. We do have many areas within our lobby that accommodate one to sit and use their cell phone away from our meeting spaces. In regards to you request for larger drawers and rods for clothing, we offer upgraded suite room types that many of our long term stay guests prefer which offer 6 large drawers that double the size of the 2 your found in your standard king bedroom. If you are in need of larger storage I would encourage purchasing one of the upgraded rooms to accommodate the need.
Spring, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my 22 year old son. This hotel has a great location and the building is beautiful and clean. What I liked best about the hotel was John at the front desk. John told us the best places to go and even planned an entire day for us. Everynight when we saw John, he would ask us how are day went. I can not say enough good things about John.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
BrightonladySpring

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the service of our front desk agent John. We definitely appreciate him on our team as a highly valued member and love how his service is reflective on our entire staff. We hope when you return to San Diego you continue to stay with us and make John a happy agent.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here on a Friday and Saturday evening on vacation in San Diego with my husband. Overall a pleasant stay, but a few suggestions.

Good:
- Beautiful building, love the history and architecture
- Overall the room was clean (and my standards for this are very high)
- Shower was really great, good water pressure and temp
- Great location, walkable to Gaslamp and easy drive to Zoo and Airport.
- When waiting in lobby, staff came by to ask if we needed anything.

Needs Improvement:
- Building entrance/Valet isn't on Broadway Street, but on the side street. This made it very difficult to find late at night in a new city.
- Phone line was busy over the course of 20 mins when trying to call for better directions.
- Upon check-in as a Silver Elite member with preferences stated on my profile (high floor, away from elevator) was placed in a room on the 5th floor next to elevator and ice machine. When I called down to ask about a switch, was told that I checked in too late and so my prefs couldn't be accommodated. As an Elite member, isn't my reservation (including prefs) guaranteed? Is it not customary for guests from the East Coast to arrive later at night after a flight?
- Room also had a very poor view of the A/C unit, which is VERY loud.
- Hair found on shower wall. ick. but that was the only cleanliness complaint
- Towel hooks were above the toilet. Poor design.
- Parking in San Diego is a major pain. Waited 20+ mins at check-out time for vehicle (but the valet who brought it was exceptional, loading bags and providing directions/suggestions for lunch. Kudos to him!)

So some customer service and some design issues, but overall pleasant and would choose to stay in this location again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
ALR517

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We are proud you enjoyed room, service and location of our property. In response to your improvements your room type you reserved is guaranteed but the request are based on availability which is stated on each reservation confirmation you receive through Marriott. We also list on our Marriott page the GPS address of 1027 6th Avenue to use when locating the hotel as the 530 Broadway address is the original address of the bank. We apologize about the tied up phone line and will research and address the issue to prevent it from repeating. We do encourage our guest to use our text message service to anticipate departures ahead of time to cut down on the wait time of high volume departures. I understand you did call down while on property in which we encourage but also don't hesitate to contact guest services prior to your arrival so that we can accommodate your request for a better view or anything else in case of a sellout when options are not as available. Overall we are glad you would return and hopefully this response will provide assistance on your next stay with us.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I would just like to say that we are from Las Vegas and work in the hotel industry so we know what guest service is. We are always visiting San Diego and have stayed at multiple properties in Downtown, but the Courtyard San Diego Downtown is the hotel that we will always remember. John at the front desk was amazing. He was so helpful with information about Gaslamp and finding a place to go for my boyfriend's birthday that night. He really personalized our check in and not only that but every time we would walk out the hotel and back in, he would remember us and ask us how our night went and how my boyfriend's birthday was. The guys at valet were equally as impressive as they remembered us as well. Room service was amazing! We called down at 7am for room service and because it was my boyfriend's birthday I wanted a slice of cake and a candle. At 7am that's unlikely, but they managed to find me a cake and a candle. At most hotels I would of probably heard a "Sorry we cant do that." Not only room service, but our housekeper was lovely as well. My boyfriend even made a new friend at the bar who gave him endless shots for his birthday and since we're trying to move to San Diego he gave us good advise on places to live. Lastly, I needed eye drops because my eyes were so dry from being at the beach all day. We called down to see if the store had any and I was prepared to just go down and pick it up, but they actually delivered it to my room within minutes! This is how guest service should be! We've stayed at high end hotels where you would think they would be on top of everything, but its the Courtyard who went above and beyond and took the time to get to know us and remembered who we were. Needless to say we will be returning!

Room Tip: We had a corner room and LOVED it! Nice and sunny and great views of Gaslamp
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Ashleigh702,

This review has been communicated amongst all of our hotel departments so that they are aware that the service they strive to give was appreciated. It is one thing to hear about how beautiful our hotel can be but we really strive to hear about the service given from every department in one stay consistently. Don't hesitate to reach out to us before your next stay in case you have any request we'd love to accommodate. Thank you for the kind words!
Cypress, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

You can rely on Marriott for clean, comfortable hotels. My issue with this property is the price for the size and amenities of the room. While I had no choice due to a business trip, I didn't think the $269 I paid was a good value, even downtown. The room was very small and the lighting, particularly in the bathroom was not good. I had to crawl under the sink to plug in the hairdryer. That being said, this is not a hotel you would plan to spend much time in I suppose, you are probably visiting other site. What was quite nice about the hotel is that the lobby is beautiful with lots of seating areas, a nice bar/Starbucks some tables with power if you want to work on your computer while you are waiting for someone. The location is fantastic, right in a great area walking distance to shops, restaurants and walking distance from the train station if you want to take the train here. Service is very good. I am staying 2 different times and got 2 different rates which prompted someone to work with the sales team to negotiate a fair price since my company sends people to stay here a lot so all in all, I think they are doing the right thing.

Room Tip: Some rooms face away from street and you can peer into other people's hotel rooms. I would ask f...
Green Features: You can get Marriott points by waiving your daily housekeeping and if you are not too messy, that's a good way to be environmentally kind.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
KKDM63,

We apologize that you were not pleased with the particular room you received during your stay but would hope you return and we can get you into a larger room for your needs as we have various room layouts all with various sizes. Also, we are pleased you reached out to our sales team to negotiate a corporate rate for future stays. If you are not already I would encourage you to sign up for our Marriott Rewards program which offers points and bonuses towards future stays at various worldwide Marriott locations. We also have many promotional rates available so always check for the best rate available to book with us.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We chose this hotel as it was moderately priced and in the centre of the city. Central Gaslamp is right down the street if you're interested. Although we didnt go out. It's one block south of the trains, and a day pass is only $5. If you ask at the desk they may even have a Compass card that another guest has left behind, that will save you an extra $2.

The room was large and the bed was comfortable. We had some trouble figuring out the shower drainage, but they sent someone up right away to show us. (Who knew you had to flip it sideways?!)

We had a little drama when we got there as I was missing my phone. One of the hotel security guys, Kyle, was super amazing and got me all the contact info I needed and called some places for me. Unfortunately it was almost midnight and most places were closed. Turned out "Find my iPhone" is amazing and I was able to locate my phone at the airport before they called me back in the morning. Phone was retrieved, but I never got to thank Kyle again for all his help!

The bartender was great at sympathizing while I mourned my missing phone.

• Stayed July 2013
Starlyn04

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and the service received from many of the hotel's departments from engineering to security to front desk and the bar. Each and every department strives to give our guests top notch service. It's just as great to hear you took advantage of our convenient location within the Gaslamp District as well as our location at a trolley stop to travel to various popular destinations in the city. We hope to have you return in the future.