“My favorite hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
“My favorite hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is truly beautiful and I love how historic it is. The location is great too. But the best thing is the service! I travel on business a lot and I have never had such excellent service. I am coming back to San Diego for vacation and will be staying here. The food here is excellent and they have great happy hour food specials -- a different one each day.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Jami H,

It's our pleasure to hear your enjoyable experience with our hotel on your stay that would rank us as your favorite. Even more delighted you will be returning and would love if you reached out to a Manager on duty ahead of your stay so that we can see what we might be able to do on our end to make the second experience better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
Kokomo, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I travel almost every week of the year and typically I stay at a Marriott Hotel and one other major hotel chain. (Which is why I am a platinum elite member) I was contacted by the hotel to let me know that they would upgrade me during my vacation to a nicer room ( for a fee). This was the first time in either chain hotels that they required a fee from me to upgrade as a platinum member. I turned down the upgrade as it would cost 1,000 extra for 6 days of my 8 day stay. I declined the upgrade as I did not want to pay the extra cost and decided I did not want to change rooms in the middle of my FIRST vacation with my daughter. I was disappointed in the cleaning service..I left them a tip each night but twice they did not remove obvious trash and the other time did not make our beds. The temperature was set with a motion detector so we were hot almost every night. Finally, when I checked in I let them know I had two reservations one with points and one without. I let them know that I did not want to switch rooms and she expressed her understanding, however she was probably the least pleasant of all the staff we experienced....and this was our initial check-in and greeter. My daughter even mentioned her attitude...however, another gentlemen was extremely helpful...I only wish I remembered his name. At any rate, I was requested to move rooms in the middle of our stay...the day of 4th of July..when we had major plans for the whole day!!! I wanted this vacation experience to be pleasant as I travel every week and have to deal with these types of issues but not on my onetime mommy and daughter vacation. Lastly, valet staff was very pleasant but the fee for valet a bit much. Bar staff were all excellent.....I personally would not stay again however. Btw this is my first review on a Marriott hotel, but I was really upset I wasted my points that I earned traveling so much on this particular hotel!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Angela A,

We are sorry but our Presidential suite is often used by many wedding or sales bookings as was the case during your stay which would not allow you to stay in the room the entire time. Likewise, because it is not a standard upgrade as with our other room types we must charge a room rate with our Marriott Reward members using their points. I have passed on your complaint with our Executive housekeeper to prevent future problems that you experienced. I am sincerely regretful your stay didn't meet your expectations and will gladly make up for it on your next stay with us if you would like to contact Ashley Reid, Bashir Ramzy or Veronica Padilla ahead of your arrival.
Montgomery, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

From arrival to departure, we had a wonderful stay! The hotel is well managed, well maintained, and well located--we were within an easy walk of Petco Park, USS Midway, Gaslamp eateries, and shopping. This property has the look and feel of an upscale boutique hotel (very charming remodeled 1920s bank building with wonderful craftsmanship) and is certainly the most wonderful Courtyard I have experienced. Kudos on this one, Marriott!!

Room Tip: Our room was situated on an upper floor and proved quiet despite the busy, downtown location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
smmbkw,

Thank you for the kind regards towards our hotel. We are proud to be recognized as the best Courtyard by you and will work towards keeping that recognition with all of our guests!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed here in early July, 2013 - my third time. The hotel has made significant improvements to the lobby area and the refurbished rooms (I was in 1112) look simply fantastic. The lobby is designed in a "flexible" style with different areas that can be used for collaboration, private/quiet reading, group meetings at larger tables, etc. A few interesting books were scattered on the tables, begging to be picked up and read. Gone from the lobby are the historic bank teller windows, but this frees up more space for an open, airy, and inviting lobby appearance. (the front desk staff told me that the teller windows are in storage, so history is not lost!) Also gone are the self-serve coffee containers, replaced by more computers in a business center. Oh, also gone is the breakfast buffet area - replaced by a billiards room. Still, despite these changes, all my needs were met in the lobby or in nearby restaurants.

Many have noted the gorgeous details inside this late 1920s bank building - the common areas feature stunning ceilings, lighting fixtures, and details from an era where architectural ornamentation was a true art form. Take the time to sit quietly and drink them in.

If you're a "city person" like me, you won't be bothered by the sometimes "sketchy elements" around the hotel...it sits right on the edge of the vibrant Gaslamp Quarter, but just far enough away that some typical urban ills are quite evident. If you're the type that's put off or scared by such things (homelessness, people loitering, etc.) then you might look elsewhere. For me, I recognize that they are people, too, and I was not hassled or harassed once.

Love, love, love this hotel - totally unique, excellent staff, super location in the Gaslamp and one block from the Trolley....what's not to like?

Keep doing what you're doing, hotel staff! I shall return next summer.

Room Tip: If street noise bothers you, request a room that doesn't face west, and at least ten floors up.
Green Features: Recycling bins in lobby and in room, signs in bathroom encouraging you to reuse a towel now and then.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
SanFranciscoGuy,

We are delighted that you were able to detail the transition from our previous rooms, lobby and restaurant into our 6 million dollar revitalization firsthand. We definitely are excited to see our guests share the same enthusiasm as we have about the change and love that you will be returning next summer.
Poway, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Located in the gas lamp district of San Diego. Our room was beautiful and spotless. It had a micro wave and a refrigerator. Our check in was easy and pleasant and we were upgraded to a suite without asking. The hotel was once a bank and the building was built in 1928, It is elegant and I would recommend a tour given by the bell man. The staff is very friendly and the area is loaded with restaurants and bars. I could have spent more time at this hotel. We loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashley R, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
barpatl,

It's our pleasure that you enjoyed the amenities such as refrigerators, blow dryers, microwaves and safes in every one of our guest rooms at our hotel. Likewise, for the convenience of our location and the historic content that we love to display or give tours through. If you would love to spend more time with us be sure to check our website for availability and seasonal specials we offer. We'd love to have you back!
Hughson, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

There is not one thing bad that I can say! Beautiful building with lots of history nice to be part of it. Clean rooms, great location in downtown , kid approved! Teenager approved! Service was excellent from bell boys to front desk to maids!!! But I have to point out John Farlee He gave us a tour of the building and told us lots of interesting facts. His customer service was definitely 5 stars!!

• Stayed July 2013
Dourine,

John and the rest of our staff couldnt be more proud to hear the feedback and we love you found our hotel great for a family stay. We hope you return and prove this service is given consistently with every stay at our property.
Irvine, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Just got back from a business trip in San Diego. The Hotel is beautiful inside and conference room was very comfortable. We had a wonderful time. Everyone was so pleasant and ready to assist. The food was very well presented and exquisite. We will be back soon.

Thank you for a job well done!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Julie S.,

As a guest that also was booked in our meeting space we are happy to deliver great service on all ends of your stay down to our food and beverage. We hope you and/or your company continue to book your business and leisure plans with us in the future to enjoy many more meetings or stays with us.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Downtown? Share your experiences!