“Quick and close to Hyatt” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Brickyard Coffee & Tea

Brickyard Coffee & Tea
675 W G St, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
(619) 696-7220
Improve this listing
Ranked #39 of 230 Coffee & Tea in San Diego
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Bakeries, Delicatessen, Bagels
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Downtown
San Diego, California
“Quick and close to Hyatt”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Food was delicious - bagel melt was HUGE. Coffee was very good. Very urban, cool, close to hotel; service slow. Most seating is outside.

Visited August 2012

Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice, slightly funky place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed in the Hyatt, pretty much across the street and wanted to get out of the convention center/big hotel atmosphere. Found this place by accident. I had breakfast, consisting of a large capuccino (very decent) and their 'breakfast bake.' This is a somewhat unusual egg custard with mushrooms, herbs, and meat baked in. Never had it before but it was very good. Reasonably priced, too.

The only reason why I did not give it 5 stars is because there was construction work going on at the trolley station, right in front of the restaurant. Not at all their fault and it will be over probably in a few weeks but I want this to reflect my impression of today.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Thank you to the staff of the Brickyard. I highly recommend a visit there.

The brickyard surprised my boyfriend an I with beautiful ballons after we explained we were celebrating our first time back as a couple there in ten years. They were so nice to take the time and bring out the ballons. We were having fun on a beautiful day celebrating our happy relationship. We never said it to them expecting something back and the fact that they did really makes them a great place worth taking all this time to write a review. I am writing one every where I can in gratitude to their thoughtfulness. Thank you for showing businesses can still be nice to people and that customer experience is still valued.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
california
“Staff is TERRIBLE; Food overpriced”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Stayed at the Hyatt across the way and delighted to have a place nearby to grab a quick breakfast. Doubly excited to get an apple pastry when they said they had one left....and that, my friends, was when it started to go downhill like a hippo on snow skis on an icy hill.

As soon as she put the pastry on a plate to ring it up with our coffees and burritos this old grump behind me starts saying that I'm rude for picking the apple pastry since I knew his wife, Dorothy, already wanted it...WTF??? I thought he was joking so I said, "it's yours for a $100". I guess he wasn't because he started saying how appalled he was at my behavior and I must not be a regular. I told him to back off and that I didn't know Dorothy. Now, let me remind you that I'm with my wife and we're trying to enjoy our two day getaway from the kids and I'm trying terribly to de-stress. So, with every ounce of my being I told him he wasn't worth it, turned my back and tried to move on with the transaction. Did the [--] old fart stop? Nope. He starts yelling at me. Did the staff do anything to defuse the situation and offer even an ounce of customer service (at least to me)? You ready? The lady behind the counter mouths "I'm sorry" to me and the rest of them just sat there...THIS REALLY HAPPENED.

So, trying to walk out of there without getting into a fight over a freaking apply pastry I turn to the guy and say, "if you want it this bad, then here, you can have it" My good deed for the day. It wouldn't have been much of anything since I'm 6'1" 200lbs and dude was considerably smaller and much older. Plus, I didn't want to go to jail for something so stupid.

Ohhh, forgot to review the food. $22 for two cups of coffee and two average small burritos 1x2x6". I did get a bonus from all of this...an argument with my wife about engaging in the argument with dude. .

Nice, soooo nice...if you want an experience with rude regulars, under-trained staff, average, small amounts of food and a patio to argue on by the train tracks, then heck this place gets 6 Stars in my book!!

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Huntington Beach, California
“Cute and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Cute place! Good coffee, loved the menu and the location. The service was not friendly at all. When I followed the statement "I'd like 2 lattes" with this one "the first one ..." and proceeded to order, the guy rolled his eyes, wadded up the paper and said "oh, these AREN'T going to be 2 of the same" as if I had severely inconvenienced him. Not endearing. There was more eye rolling when he brought it to the table. But the rude guy didn't make the good coffee bad. I'd go again. I doubt I'd let such rudeness go again. I would quietly call him out for any repeated offense. But the place was very charming.

• Visited March 2012