“Convenient!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Candlewood Suites

You added Candlewood Suites to your Saves list
Candlewood Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1335 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, CA 92108 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham San Diego) (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #178 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Fort Myers, Florida
“Convenient!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed for a week+ and it was a life saver. Our room was a 2-room suite; had one bedroom which is open to the living room with a full bath and at the other end a private and very quiet bedroom with full bath. Kitchenette was great for making breakfast, having carry out and reheating leftovers, and snacking. Full size refrigerator, small stove, dishwasher ... but not enough dishes to make loading it worth my time. In-house self-serve cafe has GREAT coffee and variety of items for purchase. Laundry room was complimentary. Downside ... the carpet was dark and 'suspect' so I immediately labeled it as gross, but having two sleeping rooms was worth keeping a pair of flip flops handy. Everything else was clean. I'd go back. Booked in advance and price was great for San Diego. (can't erase my inadvertent "terrible" rating on the pool ... they don't even have one)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Dear M S from Fort Meyers, FL.,
Thank you for your recent review of Candlewood Suites in San Diego. Your description of our 2-bedroom suite(over 1,000sq.ft.) sounds inviting. Our Cupboard/store area has a great variety of snacks and drinks available in the Lobby 24/7, as well as complimentry Maxwell coffee. The complimentary laundry facilities are a hallmark of our brand. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lompoc, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Front room was a little dark. The rooms are spacious. The kitchenette area is between the front room and the bedroom. All the convenience of home. We didn't really cook much. There was a timer for the stove, which I thought was a good idea. There was a full size refrigerator. No maid service for a two night stay but there were plenty of towels and they told us if we needed more we could go to the front desk and change them out. The room had two queen beds and a sofa sleeper (we didn't use). Television in each room. There is a exercise room and laundry which we did not check out. There was also a pantry with food items we didn't check out. Front desk help were friendly and helpful. We are familiar with the area so we didn't really ask for much.
We stayed here before when it was the Hawthorne Suites. The rooms we stayed in were bigger but if the rooms have all been remodeled they are still fine for a family stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear HappyKathy805 from Lompoc,
Thank you for being a return guest. We converted to Candlewood Suites 2 years ago, so thanks for remembering us. All our room are suites because they have kitchens with full size refrigerators, stovetops, microwaves and dishwashers. We are an extended stay hotel, so we only have maid service after 7 nights of stay, so we do have the towel exchange available 24/7. I will pass along the thanks to the Front Desk staff, for being friendly and helpful.

Axay
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is conveniently located for all San Diego attractions. The staff were friendly and greeted me with a "good morning" each morning and a "hello" each evening. The room was relaxing and the bed was comfortable.
My only complaint is that I only got one free coffee pack and then had to buy more if I wanted coffee more than the first morning.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
axay s, General Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear David G,
Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us at Candlewood Suites in San Diego. I was happy to hear that your room was confortable and the staff friendly and attentive. I wanted to reassure everyone, that though the packets in the room are first night welcome only, coffee is ALWAYS availabe complimentary by the cup from our Cupboard(store) in the Lobby.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We had to move out of our condo for a week and we chose Candlewood for its kitchens. The room 115 was huge but very dark... That being said... We were comfortable. I could not open the window and it often got stuffy. The room was clean when we arrived and the kitchen was a bit low on utensils but otherwise ok. Could have used a small toaster. Full size fridge with ice maker was a plus. They do not provide daily housekeeping but I got fresh towels daily from the front desk. Everyone was always helpful. I thought it was great that the laundry was free. All in all a good stay and for our purposes; I would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
David W, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Hello Maria M.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that the room was to your liking. I will be passing this information along to the corresponding departments within the hotel. Due to our property being an extended stay hotel we offer weekly housekeeping. We are happy to hear that you were able to receive towels from the front desk. If there is anything you would like to add or I can further assist with please let me know.

David
Shepherd, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

First of all, as a disclaimer I must say we used reward points to extend our stay in San Diego by two nights at this hotel. That being said, I'm not a very fussy traveler even when paying out of pocket. Yes, this place is a bit worn around the edges but our room was huge, the staff were more than helpful, the coffee was decent and free at any hour, and the location was very convenient for hoping on and off the major routes we needed to travel. On our first night we totally screwed up the TV and someone from the front desk came up to our room to run interference. There were two TVs in our room. Never once was it suggested that we just watch the other one. No one made us feel inept (which we kind of were) or like we were an irritation. It seemed that the people working there actually enjoyed working there and being helpful. That's great service in my book even if the trappings aren't sparkling new. I don't know how you can go wrong here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
David W, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Hello luckygreen,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that everything was to your satisfaction. I will make sure to pass along your comments to hotel management and the staff. We rely on guest reviews such as yours to better improve ourselves for future guests. If you have anything you would like to add please feel free to contact me.

David.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

I would not stay here again. It is located close the the hiway, the staff was very nice and as others have said they have a coffee/snack area. The coffee is free but the snacks are not. There is not breakfast either and similar hotels have free breakfast for a similar price. The room smelled musty and was dimly lit. If we were staying more than one night I would have requested a different room but we came in late and left right away in the morning.

Room Tip: check the room before you check in. Some are musty smelling.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Meceebee,
Thank you for your post regarding your recent stay here at Candlewood Suites. We are an extended stay property and our Cupboard(snack bar) is one of the standard amenities. We do not offer breakfast because all our rooms come equipped with their own kitchen. I especially love to hear how our staff responds to guest needs and that they make everyone will welcome and wanted.
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

This is the best place I & my family have stayed out if all the hotels in San Diego.
When I walked into the room I was so pleasantly surprised by the space, 10' high ceilings open floor plan, full kitchenette, dishwasher, microwave oven, fully stocked with everything you'll need to cook a great meal.
The beds are super comfortable, pull-out bed, recliner, two hi-def TV's, a door to separate the living room from the kitchen & bedroom.
Super nice towels and linens, a weight room, free laundry ( commercial grade machines) and a cupboard room with food and drinks, coffee, etc. that incorporates the honor system.
They also offer a toaster oven for use, just go to the front desk and ask to borrow one for the night.
There's no pool but they do have a hot tub and an area to BBQ with picnic tables.
The staff is great and very attentive to make sure all your needs are met, they even have movies (DVD/VHS) & books you can check out, rooms come with DVD players.
As for the value, well I have paid more for rooms that had way less than Candlewood
offers, so for what it's worth the rates in my opinion are very worth the money. If possible find the best rate you can, monthly is the best way to go for me.
Thank you Candelwood Suites for one of the best stays I've had in San Diego :-)

• Stayed February 2014
axay s, Manager at Candlewood Suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Dear Dewhurst34,
Thank you so much for the recent great review! We always Love to hear from a happy guest. We appreciate your mentioning so many of our amenities, as well. Just to clarify, we only have DVD's available, and no VHS-Sorry. We have free parking and wi-fi throughout the hotel. We are an extended stay property.

Axay

Been to Candlewood Suites? Share your experiences!