“Close to Airport!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Close to Airport!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Stayed for a couple of nights. Great location on Point Loma, I got to all the sights I wanted to see very quickly. Room was nice but on the small side. However, I didn't need a whole lot of legroom for such a short trip. Staff was very considerate. They let me keep my luggage there after checkout while I went on one final tour before I returned my rental car. Hope to use this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have been going to this property for over 5 yrs..and I have to say, the owners and staff are what make it stand out! They ALWAYS greet you when you walk in the door, ALWAYS make sure all your questions are answered, and ALWAYS make sure you leave with a smile.

Most recently I was at the property and got to have breakfast...YUMM, HOT HOME MADE WAFFLES!! MY FAVORITE!!! Normally when hotels say breakfast it's nothing but pastries and juice..NOT HERE..you can make your own waffle..OR WAFFLES, there is no one to tell you that you can't have moe than one! They ceral, oatmeal, pastries, coffee, an assorment of juices, bread, bagels...etc...You will be full by the time you leave.

The property is VERY clean, always smells fresh and ALWAYS has someone at the front desk. Sometimes you may go to a property and have to ring a bell, but not here..there's always a smile behind the desk.

the owners care about their property and it shows...if you get a chance..stay here..have a waffle!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
ramada7628, Manager at Ramada San Diego Airport, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you for taking time to write about our Ramada San Diego Airport, and it gives us great pleasure that you enjoyed our breakfas which includes the make your belgian waffles. We look forward to nex visit to Point Loma Ramada Airport.
Newark, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I hesitated booking this hotel due to mixed reviews I had read. I chose to go ahead and book because they offered airport transportation and breakfast at a decent price. We had a King size bed room on the second floor and was pleased. This is not a brand new five star hotel but it is better than a dive by far. Very comfortable bed & pillows.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Eureka, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

We don't recommend this hotel. The hallways are old and smelly, rooms redecorated but finish work in bathrooms old and shabby. The final straw was a 2 inch cockroach in the bathroom. I told the management about it, and got bupkis. Interesting that the front desk called us 15 minutes after checking in "to see if everything was ok", but customer service isn't really what they have. Unsecured outer doors at the end of the hallways was a concern also.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Let me get ny one concern out of the way first. There are outside stairways, each one with doors to each floor, and they don't get locked. Ever. These days, that's not only a concern, it's a liability. The hotel does have some haway cams spread around, theough. Amazingly, the breakfast room has a room card reader at the door to keep undesirables from eating the muffins. Go figure. As to the good side, the staff is absolutely fantastic. They're not pretending to be couteous and thoughtful, as with so many other properties. The room is comfortable. I had a fantastic view of the harbor from both the room and balcony.Although it's fairly close to the airport, my room on the top floor was quiet and I had the best hotel sleep I can remember. The famous Gas Light District of San Diego (a must visit) is a mere 4 miles down Harbor. The hotel has some age on it and, yes, the elevator is so slow it must run on compressed molassis, but my stay was sill a pleasant surprise. I go to San Diego now and then, and I'll be back to this Ramada.

Room Tip: Get the upgraded King and ask for an end room facing the harbor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Four of us stayed in two rooms, and the hotel staff put us together in adjoining rooms that were separated from the other rooms on the floor by a hallway on the 3rd floor of the corner wing. It was nice to open the connecting door and share all the space. Getting the shuttle from the airport was easy, and they offered shuttle service to the cruise port as well.

The rooms were clean, had great comfortable beds, and the usual refrigerator and microwave.

We also had small outdoor balconies. You can see from the photo that it is an older property, but it has been nicely renovated. We checked across the hall and saw that some king size rooms had a nice view of the marina that was across from us.

Other reviews have commented on the elevator, and I agree it is small, but we managed just fine and often used the stairs. I noticed that there were accessible rooms handily located on the ground floor.

The breakfast was cereal, make-you-own waffles, pastries, yogurt, toast, that sort of thing. Denny's is a short walk away if you want bacon and eggs. The breakfast room was well maintained. Here I saw families, older couples, and a few businesspeople.

There was an outdoor pool area with lounge chairs but it was a little bit too cool outside to try, but it looked appealing and would be popular in warmer weather, I imagine.

The neighborhood, which I think is called Point Loma, has small restaurants, stores, and the marina all just outside. There is a huge shopping complex a short cab ride away. I thought we might be isolated from all the sights, but since we've been to San Diego before it didn't bother us. Having a rental car would make getting around easy and there is free parking at the hotel, but we didn't feel the need to get one.

All in all we had a very pleasant 3 night stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor facing the water.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

cheap, cheerful, clean, ok breakfast, good location, friendly airport shuttle.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Ramada San Diego Airport? Share your experiences!