“Beautiful location and grounds!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$50 Daily Resort Credit
Ranked #100 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Mesa, Arizona
“Beautiful location and grounds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

We had a great time at this hotel. Very tropical vibe with beautifully maintained grounds. Both sides have a water view, one just also has the parking lot but if you are on the second or third floor you don't even notice it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Holmdel, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

The Kona Kai is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location. I was traveling with the AUVSI robotics competition, and the hotel staff was particularly welcoming. Our rooms were excessively messy with machine parts, and we even shifted the furniture. Furthermore, they allowed us to test our equipment off their docks and in their pool. The desk staff was informative, and helpful, especially Trudi. They were knowledgeable about the area, and helped us print our shipping labels and other documents at no charge. On top of all this, the hotel is in the middle of beautiful San Diego. I'd stay again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Bowling Green, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed at Kona Kai for weeklong conference with wife and two small children. Resort exceeded my expectations in terms of location and facilities. Mentioned family upon check in and was given room with access to pool courtyard. Staff was extremely helpful with all requests (esp. Sergio) and would recommend for those looking for a quieter spot to base their SD vacation.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

I very much enjoyed my stay at Kona Kai. Location, location, location. Could not have a better location on the San Deigo Bay. Walk right out of the resort in either direction and you will find beautiful scenery on the bay. You could stay here without needing a car. Just walk along the bay, eat at their fabulous restaurant and relax by the pool. The rooms are clean and the suites have a great floor plan. What topped it off was the friendly and helpful staff. Trudi (front desk staff) truly cared that our stay was perfect and assisted us in every way possible. When looking for a terrific place to stay, consider Kona Kai. I will be back again soon!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Chandler, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I was looking forward to my stay at the Kona Kai for a month, but now wish I had booked elsewhere. The hotel is in a wonderful location and I enjoyed waking up to see the ships each morning, but that is about all I was happy with. The room was very oudated. I was in the wheelchair accessable room (although we are both able bodied), so that may be the reason for some of the differences than what others describe. The bathroom was very outdated and there was no place to put personal items, although the spiders seemed to like it. Many tiles were cracked and there appeared to be small spots of mold on the wallpaper. Only one curtain opened to look out on the patio, which we never sat on. It overlooked the maintance shed and anyone in the parking lot had access to it. The refrigerator was warm and every button on the remote control only changed the channel down. Housekeeping entered the room three times, even though the do not disturb sign was hanging on the door. Finally, the gate to the parking lot usually took about 3 minutes to open. On Monday night we had to go in throught the exit because the gate to the entrance would not open after 10 minutes of trying.

The Kona Kai was not worth the cost, even with the AAA discount. I would recommend looking elsewhere if you are planning a trip to San Diego.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CrystalLJamison
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

I stayed in the Kona Kai for two nights. It was so wonderful. I room was quite large, had a large closet, remodeled bathroom, a balcony overlooking the harbor , a seating area and a desk. We had planned our trip very last minute and needed to get a rental car because we were going to a wedding. We tried looking online, but all of the rental car companies were charging an arm and a leg so we explained our predicament to the bellman, James, and he called around and got us a rental car for 1/3 of what other places were quoting us! He shuttled us to and from the airport.
The hotel staff was incredibly helpful! They got us anything we need, from toothpaste to extra towels to reservations at restaurants. We opted for the $5 breakfast which was actually great! It was a full plate of food and compared to the other prices on the menu it was a steal! The restaurant staff even let me substitute toast for fruit without charging me $4. We had an issue with the screen door on our balcony not closing all the way and the front desk has maintenance there within 5 minutes!
The grounds were beautiful and very well maintained. The island was so relaxing. It was great for a jog every morning. They had bikes you can rent for $5 for a half a day! To use the fitness center is was $10 a day, but between the pool and the mile long island you don't need to go to the gym.
I truly can't say enough good things about this hotel. I loved it so much! We stayed there for 2 days then switched to the Best Western Island Palms which was horrible! I was suppose to stay there for 2 nights with the wedding party I was with, but I only stayed one night and went back to the Kona Kai because I was so disappointed! I will absolutely make a trip back to San Diego to simply stay at the resort. I hope you enjoy the Kona Kai as much as I did!

Crystal Jamison

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

We were very pleased we were with our visit to the Kona Kai Resort. Our first contact was with a terrific young lady at the front desk named Norma, who went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that our accommodations were perfect. She was very friendly and professional and made us feel very welcome.

In addition to Norma, Francisco in the restaurant and all of the restaurant staff were friendly and accommodating. Our meals were excellent and the service was also excellent.

Our room was clean and well attended to, as was the pool, Jacuzzi, and the rest of the facility. The presence of friendly security staff was a big plus for us (and our small child).

At check out, we had the pleasure of dealing with Trudi at the front desk. She was also very helpful and pleasant. She went out of her way to review our bill with us and made sure that our accommodations were to our liking. She offered her assistance with anything we might need prior to our departure.

Kudos to an excellent hotel and staff.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Been to Kona Kai Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!