“Nice But Check for Bugs” 2 of 5 stars

Kona Kai Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1551 Shelter Island Dr, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Ranked #107 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Honolulu, HI
“Nice But Check for Bugs”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

After attempts to get management's attention via email and snail mail to no success, here we go...is it a coincidence that our daughter experiences bites on her back the first night, then my wife, and finally me? Too bad, all I asked was that management check the room and inform me of their actions. No response, nada.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Likely Bugs
  • Stayed August 2008

673 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

The best thing I could say about Kona Kai is the location, but then there are other choices on Shelter Island and elsewhere in San Diego. You only have to read others' reviews of the condition of the rooms to get the picture; I had a similar experience and have nothing to add in that department. My real problem was with the complete lack of good service and even a sense of accountability among staff, even at the management level.

Honestly, the best hotel I've stayed in in this part of San Diego was at the Holiday Inn San Diego at 1355 N Harbor Drive. I enjoyed the service and the on-site restaurant. From my waterfront room at the Holiday Inn I had great views, and enjoyed watching the grand cruise ships arrive and load passangers. Stay away from Kona Kai!!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Southern Cal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

I stayed at the resort for one night while attending a wedding. The facility was great but I got to my room and was surprised when I discovered I payed 200 dolllars for a motel room. It wasnt anything special. It has a very nice location, facilities, pool, etc, however, I wish I had just stayed at one of the motels located on Rosecrans.

• Liked — convienience
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
McMinnville, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

This hotel is in a lovely location but the bad outweighed the good. Upon our arrival I was dismayed to see that our room had stained and old carpet, and was rather small for the price. Our phone did not work nor did the toilet upon our arrival. The maintenance man did arrive fairly promptly to fix these. We stayed for three days and our toilet acted up once each day requiring a visit from the maintenance man. On our last day there, he didn't even bother to show up so I had to fix the toilet myself. I paid an extra amount for a "premium view" of the harbor, meaning unobstructed. There were palm trees right in the middle of our view, see attached picture. I complained about this but they would not refund the extra amount to me. Front desk help was not friendly, nor was manager. Though the rooms are nonsmoking, our neighbors right below us smoked continually on thier balcony which drifted right up and into our open balcony door. We were unable to enjoy our balcony because of this. Management would not move us. I had high hopes for this hotel, but they did not materialize. I would never stay there again.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

We stayed at the Kona Kai in mid-August during our trip to San Diego. I must say that we were very pleased with the resort. Our room was ready when we arrived and clean. My husband and I really enjoyed the location because we could get up early (before our teenagers) and go for a walk along Shelter Island. They could probably use some new sunning chairs but besides that we had no complaints. I recommend this hotel and we will stay again next summer when we return to California.

• Liked — Location and scenery
  • Disliked — Sunning chairs need updating and no staff walking around pool/beach to order drinks from.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
La Crescenta, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

The location and setting for the Kona Kai Resort are very nice. but the rooms could use soon serious maintenance. We stayed in room 131 in Mid August and the screen door to the patio area was completely broken-couldn't open it or close it, the bathroom door wouldn't closed(door too big for its opening) and so could not be locked. The room had 2 coffee makers but no iron.

We enjoyed our day by the pool and beach(surprisingly, there were well behaved children by the pool that day-a rarity). But the whole ambience was spoiled by the constant hassle of the 2 offending doors.

So, if mgt is listening, invest in new screen doors, redo the scruffy bathtubs.Its the little things that matter, you know. Location alone only goes so far.

• Liked — location across the bay and the marina
  • Disliked — poor room maintenance!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

Kona Kai Resort and Spa was my choice of visit because it was cheaper then most hotels, and a friend told me he was there when it was known as Shelter point, and he enjoyed it.

My experience with the hotel was o.k. It was slightly spoiled when I arrived to learn that the rate they reserved me for over the phone was not the rate they had me in the computer for. I argued politely with the lady behind the counter saying thats not the rate I reserved it for, Though it went nowhere So i just swallowed my pride not wanting to ruin the trip and accepted the 20 dollars more a day rate. As for the rest of the stay I was pleased with how clean the room was and the prompt room service, they did a good job. The Kids playground was a little small I was expecting something a little bit larger, So we took the kids to another playground not far away on the Shelter island. Sand volleyball nexy to the marina was nice, just dont hit the ball in the water. Heated pool and spa was a plus as it was chilly most the time.

I didnt like paying for nightly parking, Or that They were unable to honor the reservation. If I decide to come back I will reserve online and get a printout of the hotel webpage with the confirmation #.

• Liked — I liked the location and Room Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nightly Parking Fee, And The Hotel Reservation
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kona Kai Resort? Share your experiences!