“Perfect place for a weekend getaway- Beautiful location!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$50 Daily Resort Credit
Ranked #115 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
San Francisco, California
“Perfect place for a weekend getaway- Beautiful location!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The 2 of us had a wonderful weekend stay at the Kona Kai. We were looking for a min Valentine's Weekend escape, away from the hustle and bustle of the city and this was PERFECT. We chose the package that included parking and breakfast, and it was a great value. The rooms were clean and spacious, we loved the little patio we had that lead right out to the lawn/pool area which was perfect because we had our dog with us. Only things that kept me from giving 5 stars was the extremely thin walls (we can hear word for word our neighbor's conversations) and they seemed to be short staffed almost everywhere- lobby, restaurant, so we felt like customers were always waiting. Otherwise, beautiful venue: There's a great pool with ping pong table, fun indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar with live music and happy hour at night, and not to mention when you walk out front you immediately walk to the edge of the ocean at the tip of Shelter Island. Perfect for a great weekend getaway!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nathan N, Manager at Kona Kai Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Our destination has a real draw for couples! As you mentioned, we are just far enough away from the hustle and bustle, while still being connected to the vibrant nightlife of San Diego. Our fun outdoor activities and pool give travelers the opportunity to relax and play in the San Diego sun.

Let us know when you are planning your next weekend getaway!

Nathan N.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Riverside County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Just returned from a Valentine's weekend stay at Kona Kai with my wife. This was our first time here, although we have stayed at Humphrey's down on the other end of Shelter Island. Based on the fact that we got a great rate here, I was surprised by how nice this place was. Our check in was quick, and without even asking for an upgrade, we were given a 2nd floor room that looked out across San Diego Bay and towards Coronado Island. Absolutely beautiful view. Our room was nice, clean, and the bed was comfortable. We didn't spend much time using the facilities, but I walked around and there is a very nice pool area, a restaurant and lounge that looks out towards the marina, and a sandy beach with lots of chairs and a volleyball net. They also had campfire rings on the beach, although we didn't partake.
My only interactions with the staff were at check in and check out, and both times they were extremely friendly and efficient - no lines.
The only down side really wasn't - there is a fog horn located somewhere nearby on the bay, and while it wasn't loud, you could hear it. I woke up several times that night after dreaming that my alarm was going off! This somehow added to the charm of my trip, and I imagine you'd get used to it if you stayed for more than one night.
I'd like to bring my entire family back for a visit, which is about the highest recommendation I can give. Great place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nathan N, Manager at Kona Kai Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Happy belated Valentine’s Day. Our romantic location, efficient and friendly check-in, and newly renovated guest rooms provide the perfect escape with that special someone. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our cozy fire pits, luxurious pool, innovative restaurant, and multiple outdoor activities.

I cannot wait to share with my team what a positive experience you had at the desk. A friendly front desk for both check in and check out are a crucial part to any stay, and I know the team will be ecstatic to hear they hit it out of the park.

I look forward to meeting the rest of the family.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I stayed here with my family for 2 nights last week. We got great service checking in late at night and we even got a free upgrade to the marina view with connecting rooms. The rooms were fresh and clean when we arrived and the crew at the front desk was helpful when we needed them. The views were spectacular whichever direction you faced. Would highly recommend for your next trip to San Diego

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Nathan N, Manager at Kona Kai Resort, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
The marina view is definitely one that wows our guests! I will be sure to share your positive check-in experience with the team, and I will compliment housekeeping on keeping your room clean and fresh! We are proud to be available at all times at the front desk to take care of whatever you could need.

Thank you for recommending us!

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Fantastic views from either side of resort. All services available right on site. I was here on business and really enjoyed the drive downtown along the waterfront. Amazing sights at night across the bay looking at the skyline of the city. The harbor and hillside behind it also lit up beautifully at night.

Room Tip: The harbor view was as good as bay view and bay view has to look out over the parking lot. I would a...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
I am so pleased to hear our beautiful views suited you well! Our full service resort is excellent not only for vacationers, but for business travels as well, featuring wireless internet, a business center, and unlimited local and long distance calling.

Thank you for bringing your business to the Kona Kai.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The staff and recretional amentities were outstanding. Jessica @ the desk was great to work with and as a result of her awsome customer service, I booked the hotel for myself and business associate for an additional 3 weeks. John in the fitness center was also great to work with!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Nathan N, Manager at Kona Kai Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
I am so glad we were able to accommodate you for such an extended stay! John and Jessica are Kona Kai veterans and we are lucky to have them I will be sure fill them in about your positive experience!

Thank you for so much for being our guest.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in December. We had a great stay here. We were upgraded to a nicer room upon checkin. The staff was super courteous (Jessica at the reception was great) and the rooms were spacious and nice. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I am so glad we were able to upgrade you! Jessica is known for taking care of the guests, and I will be sure to share your positive feedback with her personally.

I look forward to your next visit.

Buffalo, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I very much enjoyed our stay. Katie was so pleasant at check in and made extra sure our stay was enjoyable. Thank you so much Katie for everything you did! We have stayed twice now and will definitely return again. Love the patio overlooking the ocean. Very relaxing for sure!! Thanks again for everything!

Nathan N, Owner at Kona Kai Resort, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
At the Kona Kai we enjoy nothing more than reading positive reviews about our positive staff. Katie is a team member who does her best to make sure each and every guest leaves the Front Desk with a smile! I will be sure to give her a hearty pat on the back based on this stellar review.

Thank you for such a wonderful review.

Nathan N.

Been to Kona Kai Resort? Share your experiences!