“Typical motel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center

You added Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center to your Saves list
Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1801 Logan Ave., San Diego, CA 92113 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn-Convention Center/Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #181 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Southampton
“Typical motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

Typical motel - they are generally not the best hotels in the world but are not claiming to be! I did not see any bugs and our air con worked fine. Did have problems with the safe and hairdryer but they said we could change rooms if we wanted. We had internet in our room and cereal/croissants for breakfast. Our room also had a fridge and microwave. Traffic noise bothered my family a little as we were on the road side, but there were quieter rooms available, and too be honest I always wear earplugs anyway.

The hotel is very close to the convention center and downtown but not in the best area (hence being cheap). Is fine if you have a car but would not recommend walking on your own in the area late at night as there are quite a few homeless people along the main route to downtown. I had to attend a conference at the SD Conference centre and it took approx 5-10 mins to drive there and is around the same to Horton Plaza.

If you go thinking that it is a motel then it is fine, if you expect a 3 star hotel then you will be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Logan, UT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

To give you an idea of how BAD it is, while I was checking in 2 people came to the office and gave their keys back and said they couldn't stay there! I should have followed their lead! I'm pretty adventurous, so I checked-in anyway. One positive was that the manager was very nice. The hotel is sketchy to begin with, so when the carpets were gross and there was lots of mold in the bathrooms, and the beds were basically broken, I shouldn't have been suprised. This is not the place to stay!!! Don't do it unless you want cheap and DIRTY!!!

• Liked — Manager
  • Disliked — Everything Else!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Orange County
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

If you are looking for classy this is not the place for you! We are 3 girls in our late 20's who felt safe staying there and would again if the occasion arose. Two of our other friends decided this place wasn't for them and got a room somewhere else. We were here for street scene as most of the other guests were also. When i looked for hotels in the area this one was 100 bucks cheaper than the rest. Right there it should tell you the quality of the place.
Our room did have that cleaning smell, saw no bugs, the airconditioned worked fine, coffee in the room was good, staff was friendly, didn't see any drug dealers, and the place was quite. Yes you are in the ghetto but we fealt fine walking down the streets during the day to the downtown area but took $6 taxi rides back to the hotel at night. If you do stay here try the Juice/Smoothie place on National. If you are there because of a timeshare pay the extra 10 bucks for a better place. It is only 10 bucks!

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

My wife and I went to timeshare presentation and they promised us a nice hotel in San Diego. Stupid me I thought it would be nice since they usually send you to nice places. The Lobby smells like urine, I woke up in the middle of night to find roaches all over my travel bag. There were drug dealers next door up all night with people coming in and out. What ever you do STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. After the first night we changed hotels. Just Disgusting!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

We booked through their website, pick this location due to our business purpose

check in at 5pm, all was OK it seems the manager family also living in the property.

Our room is at 3rd floor, all seems fine, everything worked as advertised, just at bathtub there was some crackk that have been repaired but of course leaving some white stain unless replace it completely.

when I woke up in the morning, found little bug on the pillow which I immediately squashed it ... but after my husband took shower there's another one !! I took the picture of it & will upload it once I have the time.

we leave immediately & breakfast didn't open (next to reception) until 7 am, no time to alert the manager.

• Liked — n/a
  • Disliked — Internet not working & there's at least 2 BUGS in the bed !! Yucks!!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
El Cajon, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

I read previous reviews, but had absolutely no problems with noise, crime or residents in the neighborhood. The room was very basic, clean, and shabby, but for the price it was what I expected. Keep in mind that you are in a poor neighborhood and be mindful of safety, especially after dark. The best thing about this location is that it is right off the 5 freeway so it is easy to get to, it is right outside of downtown San Diego, and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

• Liked — easy freeway access, proximity to downtown San Diego
  • Disliked — old, shabby
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SALTON SEA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2008

I too, am a victim of a 2 hour Timeshare presentation, which got me booked in this typically bad motel. First, I would like to say that some of these concerns were not the motels fault. For example, the city decided to jack-hammer the street at 7:30 am. The garbage collection was prompt at 8 am. These things were unfortunate. On the flip side, the toilet had a mind of its own, the bathroom fan did not work, I can't tell you what an experience that was at times. In the middle of the night the smoke alarm started beeping repeatedly. The area set up for the coffee pot, was like that old show Green Acres, where you could only have certain things plugged in at one time, not to mention the outlet itself was falling out of the wall. The mattress was higher on one side, than the other. Lastly the continental breakfast was not kept stocked - except for the gallon of milk that was not on ice. Then there is the location. Right off of the freeway, convenient. Just a block away from the Barrio. And if you are looking for any fast food places, forget it. Overall I would say, for FREE, it was OK. To actually pay money to stay there.....I DON'T THINK SO.

• Liked — STAFF FRIENDLY
  • Disliked — BATHROOM
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travelodge San Diego Downtown Convention Center? Share your experiences!