“Not impressed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Jsix Restaurant

Jsix Restaurant
616 J St, San Diego, CA 92101-7018 (Downtown)
619-531-8744
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Jsix Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #339 of 4,041 restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Californian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: J and Sixth Ave.
Transit: Trolley and public bus. Broadway & 6th Ave. bus stop. Walk 0.5mi south to J St. & 6th Ave.
Description: Jsix is a bustling gathering place, perfect for meeting friends for dinner, sharing a glass of wine and an appetizer, or delighting in an enjoyable dinner for two. Chef Christian Graves' menu features Coastal California cuisine, showcasing sustainable proteins and local farm fresh ingredients.
Seattle, Washington
“Not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a place to have dinner before going to a Padres game. This place is right across the street from the stadium and wasn't crowded at all. The first thing we were told by our server upon sitting down was that the portions are small, so if we have big appetites, we should order more than one thing. My thought is that if they have to warn you about that, they should probably change their menu a little. I had a burger (which was normal sized) and was alright. One of my friends had the black angel hair pasta, which she declared too salty to eat after about four bites. The restaurant didn't charge us for her meal. However, it seems to me they should spend more time on making good tasting food in decent portions rather than being hoity-toity. The server was friendly and did check on us often.

Visited June 2013

77% Recommend
Oceanside, California
“Good drinks!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Looking for a place to have a drink before a Padres game and of course all the sports bars were packed but we noticed that Jsix wasn't. I was a bit worried that since it was a nicer place we would not be welcome in our shorts and Padres jerseys. I guess everyone was worried about that and that was why they were not busy. Anyhow, we went and had a seat at the bar and everyone was super nice and did not care at all that we were before-game drinking. The drinks were great and the Yelp deal for free fries was awesome. Although my friend and I ate the fries continuously they never seemed to disappear! Cant wait to come back and try a full meal, the menu looks awesome.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, California
“Fantastic Menu, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I spent an evening at the Jsix restaurant, and we were not disappointed. The standard menu offerings are diverse, with something for everyone. We normally start with charcuterie and cheese, but were drawn to the "Chef's Mercy" menu: a five course offering that can also include drink pairings if you like. What made it so unique was that the staff will actually submit your preferences to make the experience tailored specifically to your tastes. For instance, I requested no blue cheese, no mushrooms, and meat forward. My wife requested a more seafood centric menu. The courses were amazing: BBQ pork belly, octopus, pork chop, strip steak, and bread pudding. My wife and I each received different things for each course, and each was paired nicely with a wine from their extensive list. The first thing I would say is that you're talking about a lot of food here...the drinks and food portions were extremely generous. The second amazing thing was the flexibility: my wife actually received sweet breads for one course and wasn't into them. It was made clear at the beginning that if we didn't like something we could swap it out, and she did so very easily: she received a seared tuna dish which was fantastic. As one last touch, the staff carefully writes down each course you receive, along with the wine pairing. It ends up being signed by the staff and chef, so that you can keep a record of your visit and what you ate. I would say that if you are in the gaslamp area, you will likely not go wrong by choosing Jsix. It will be a fantastic experience.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
guanacaste
“Delightful Gluten Free friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My daughter and I met my cousin here for dinner this evening. None of us had ever been though we had always wanted to try it. Welcoming and open atmosphere. The staff was knowledgable helpful and not overwhelming.
We started with wine and a calamari and lemon remoulaude with grilled parsley done to perfection.
My daughter started with the potatoe and brocoli soup followed by the popular salmon entree. I had the GF Salad followed by the risotto and chicken and my cousin had theGF salad as well and mushroom ravioli all delectable.
We all had their homemade icrecream in a variety of flavors and coffee...excellent cappuccino!
a wonderful evening and we will go back again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Lauren L, Manager at Jsix Restaurant, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Gluten-free is a big part of what we do- so glad you enjoyed dining with us! Stop in again to experience new creations on our ever-changing menu.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“accomodating and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

San Diego must have incredible restaurants. This is a good pick.the room is lovely and the Service attentive. With several veggie options it worked for us-generally appetizers and salads are the most enticing. However the well mixed cocktail I had with mulled apple Serrano chilliest lime and vodka was a highpoint. The mushroom ravioli had sufficient models but insufficient filling. Fun place good food

Visited April 2013
Lauren L, Manager at Jsix Restaurant, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Glad you enjoyed San Diego dining- that Serrano Gimlet is definitely a staff favorite! Hope we get to see you again next time!