“Great value, great service, clean rooms” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #38 of 270 hotels in San Diego
California
“Great value, great service, clean rooms”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2010

Best kept hotel secret in San Diego. I have paid 3-4 times what this room cost me and have not received the same level of warm professional courtesy extended at this hotel. Everyone that works here is helpful and friendly. The rooms are always spotless and had a new feel to it. The fridge, the microwave, the wireless service and the bathroom fixtures were in perfect working order. Any request was acted upon quickly and with smiles. Although not located in the best area, it has easy access to main hwys. and you can be anywhere is San Diego within 15 minutes or so. The front desk people are great at getting you easy to follow directions and tips on getting around. Its rare but some times you get more than you pay for and this hotel is one of them.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Surrey B.C Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed at the Lamplighter Inn from March 7th through to March 16th. At first we wondered about the area. But the Inn itself is tucked in away from the street a bit. Our room was perfect for the five of us. One room with two queen beds and a front room with a sitting area and pull out sofa. Off of that was a full kitchen. The sofa bed was great for our daughter as she was not feeling well so she could rest, while the rest of us watched T.V. in the other room. The kitchen was adjacent to where she slept, so in the middle of the night if she needed anything, you didn't disturb the rest of the family. The staff was great, very helpful and friendly. A big, "Thanks" to Len for helping us find a medical clinic. Our daughter's cold turned into an ear infection, and her ear drum perforated. We found the Urgent Care Clinic with no problems. The breakfasts in the morning were very convenient and tasty. The pool was very clean, the kids really enjoyed it the last few days of our stay when the temperatures finally reached into the 70's. Overall I'd have to say for the price you pay it is a bargain, and the Managers, and hotel staff really make you feel at home. I'd love to go back.

Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I recently booked a trip to San Diego and was scheduled to stay at the Lamplighter Inn and Suites for 4 nights. However, the day we pulled into the property, we pulled back out again. I cannot comment on the rooms, and the property itself seemed like it would be okay. However, the location was terrible. As we drove down the road heading toward the property, we did not see any family friendly restaurants or other venues- lots of graffiti, lots of noise (maybe it was party season at the University, because there were a lot of people walking around with bottles on the street) and I just didn't get a "I want to spend the next 4 nights" feeling about it.

I will say the desk staff were more than helpful, and cancelled my reservation efficiently and effectively. Maybe if I had stayed long enough to see a room, I could have been convinced, and I did end up having to spend an additional $100.00/night to stay elsewhere, but I didn't feel this site adequately warned me about the neighbourhood.

colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I stayed at this hotel several times from August to December 2008 and had great experiences. First, the place is a good value for the money. For those thinking it is just ok, I recommend you check the rates in the San Diego area. Second, the place is super clean. I had different rooms each time (different floors and both buildings) and everything was spotless. I asked about the carpets since they always look and smell so clean and was told the staff rotates rooms to steam clean weekly so that every rooms' carpet gets steam cleaned monthly. What a difference! I have stayed in 4 stars where I wouldn't remove my shoes. OK, so I didn't get over that neurosis here, but it looked great and I thought about it. Third plus is the convenient location off the freeway. The fourth big woo hoo was that I was able to bring my cat. Is the food gourmet? No. But it is a nice continental breakfast with pastries, cereal, bread etc. I just need something light to start my day so this was great for me. If you need a hearty hot breakfast, there are plenty of places nearby. I do agree with other travelers in that that you can sometimes hear people next to you. This was only a problem one time I stayed at the hotel - my neighbors had the tv volume up until after midnight.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Marin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel while visiting SDSU. I am a stickler for cleanliness when travelling and I must say my hotel room was spotless. Being on the ground floor, I was worried about noise at night. I didn't hear any noice all night. The mattress was as comfortable as hotel rooms where I have paid $400/nt. The complimentary breakfast, friendly front desk service and great price make it a great spot to stay in San Diego. My family and I will be back!

Dover AFB, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed here last week for our visit to San Diego. It was conveniently located near I-8, but far enough away to eliminate highway noise. We could get to downtown, Coronado, Old Town, the Zoo, and Sea World within 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.
The staff were very helpful including a great recommendation for dinner. The breakfast room had a good variety of bread & bagels from a local bakery, assorted muffins & pastries, a waffle-making station, hard-boiled eggs, fruit, cereal, juice & coffee. The gentleman that stocked the breakfast area was very friendly, as were all the other staff we had interactions with.
The motel itself and the room were definitely older, but everything was clean and in good repair. The bed was nice and firm (a big plus for me, but not for everyone).
I would recommend this motel to anyone looking for a nice stay at a very reasonable price. I even told my parents to stay here when they come to San Diego in a few weeks.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Tracy, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Just got back from Best Western Lamplighter Inn and Suites. It was a very nice property, the beds were comfy and the staff was very helpful and pleasant. The only problem was the walls are very thin and you could hear in the next rooms. I am a very light sleeper and the people in the next room snored so loud it kept me awake for two nights. The motel was full so we didn't ask to change rooms. If you can sleep through anything then I would stay here. Most of the other reviews are correct. But if you are a light sleeper like me, you might want to try somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU? Share your experiences!