“Fantastic customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Monica
“Fantastic customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

My family was going to Sea World and after reading all the wonderful reviews of the Lamplighter, I thought I'd give them a try. Some reviews on TripAdvisor had rates under $90/night, but I could only find more expensive prices online. So I called the hotel directly. The lady who answered the phone offered me a lower rate--I was thrilled.

The room was clean, the sheets soft, the beds comfortable. We'd ordered a crib and it was assembled and waiting in our room. Unfortunately, the next morning I found a moldy bagel in the breakfast room. I didn't complain immediately--I was travelling with two toddlers and frankly felt too tired and harrassed. But I did fill out the comment card that was in the room.

To my surprise, the manager of the hotel called me to apologize. He said he was so upset to hear that I'd had a bad experience. Then he insisted on taking $50 off my bill. I was floored. He also said that he'd talked to his whole staff and that "this would never happen again." I believe him.

The bottom line: this hotel really does go the extra mile. It is a fantastic deal close to downtown and Sea World. I will certainly stay there again!!!

• Liked — customer service
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ScratchSanDiego_CA_, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, November 26, 2008
Dear Valued Guest - Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. I was elated that you enjoyed your stay with us & that my entire staff made your stay an enjoyable one.

It is very important to me that when our guest have a problem I contact them directly & make sure that I resolve the issue they may have had duriing there stay with us. Customer Service is one of our main goals & is exremely important to me.

We look forward to your return visit & once again thank you for your review.

David Birt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

Stayed four nights for $80/night. Don't let the small lobby fool you. Great place for the price. Two story motel with exterior corridors. Not too fancy, but very nicely decorated, exceptionally clean, and very well maintained. The stairs and corridor were spotless, a door mat perfectly placed in front of every room, towels placed on lounge chairs by the pool ready for the guests. The room was a reasonable size with double queens. Bedding, wall color, and wall pictures all coordinated. Only one sink, but excellent shower head. And, every staff member was extremely pleasant, helpful and friendly. If I was picky, I would point out that the free breakfast room is rather small. We could hear the people in the room next door arguing on the phone (with a raised voice), so I suppose the walls could be better insulated. But, really, everything else was great.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2008

stayed there for few days prior to convention in san fran,,room was clean, no funny odors,confortable bed,, and yes waffles, waffles waffles.,,the free breakfast buffet was better than most hotels, eggs,cereal, numerous kinds of pastries,,and yes a waffles machine,which i took part of everyday,, the staff more than hepful with all my needs.....I.E. directions,computer usage, and overall knowledge of the area and its attractions...would definately stay here again,, oh i didnt mention the prices...excellent..call hotel for unadvertised pricing,,thank you staff at bw lamplighter, i know you guys read these sometimes, great job keep up the great work... brett

• Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

The breakfast was wonderful, especially the waffles. The room was clean, the pool also. On the down side, on our extended stay in the suite we had hoped to make use of the kitchen and laundry facilities. The microwave oven made such a racket we were afraid to use it. The stove fan also clattered noisily, making it inoperable. Furthermore, the oven temperature control knob was broken, making it impossible to know the temperature setting. The sofa hide-a-bed was bent out of shape making it a crooked and very uncomfortable sleeping area. Lastly, the clothes dryer did not dry the clothes, and washer was so full of lint the clothes needed to be rewashed elsewhere. While the place was acceptable for an overnight stay, long-term it was untenable.

• Stayed October 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lis302, Assistant to the Owner at BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU, responded to this review, November 12, 2008
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review about your stay with us, we were glad to read that you enjoyed our breakfast and specifically mentioned our clean rooms and pool. Our housekeeping team is dedicated to keeping our hotel looking spotless for our guests.

We were unhappy to learn about the maintenance problems you encountered. As soon as we read your review the hotel manager tried to locate the kitchen unit with the problems you mentioned to repair them as soon as possible. We do our best to fix any problems before our guests arrive, unfortunately, at times some problems do get past us.

We do apologize for the inconvenience they caused you. In the future, please let Front Desk know of any issues you experience as soon as possible as we want to take care of those issues immediately.

We are a hotel property committed to providing a great stay for each of our guests, we were very sorry that we failed in this instance. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Regards,

Lis Dukesherer
minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

My parents have been Sno-Birds to San Diego for the last 21 years. This has been their favorite of all and for the last quite a few years! I have come and seen why for the past couple of winters. I cannot tell you how much it means to me... That my parents are staying at such an awesome place. The management team and their staff are unbeatable. They cater to the snobirds, as well as, regular guests like me. I very rarely get the hospitality I get here. No question is a dumb one, especially the ones my folks can dish out. There has been quite a group of regulars that come every winter and I just love to see them and how the staff treats them. Did I mention the rooms and pool are beautiful and the vareity breakfeast goodies are so yummy. The location is right in the middle of everything...never too far from the fun. I am a super busy person and for me to take time and praise this establishment.....its gotta be a 20 star. Many returns for me!!

• Liked — Super all aspects
  • Disliked — No free happy hour
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Malaga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

Felt a little nervous when we approached the El Cajon area but it was an unessary worry. The hotel was very well run, clean, well kept and the staff were so helpful with the odd problems we had. There are shops nearby and a few useful restaurants. Access to the Freeway is close and therefore useful. Highly recommended.

• Liked — The staff and the cleanliness
  • Disliked — loved it all
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Surrey BC Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2008

After spending 5 nights at this location I can honestly say that we were really happy with our stay . We had relatives with us from England and needed to book 2 rooms . We had checked out some of the reviews on Tripadvisor and decided to make the booking . The rooms were really clean , the grounds well looked after and the staff very friendly and helpfull . The pool was cleaned everyday and clean towels put on each of the loungers ready for guest to use . The breakfast area is a little small but it was nice to sit around the pool area with the well kept garden and see the humming birds while having breakfast . If you have a car this is the pefect location , everywhere that we needed to go to was within a 15 to 20 minute drive . The directions that the Manager gave us for the the different locations that we went to were perfect . This place is well worth the money . After leaving here we stayed at a Courtyard Marriott for $205.00 a night ( more than double what we paid at the Lamplighter for one night ) The pool was not clean and you had to pay $12.99 for breakfast !!!!

You want value for your money stay here.

Happy Travelers
Surrey BC Canada

• Liked — The rooms where clean , staff friendly and a great location . Great value for you money
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU? Share your experiences!