We've just returned from a one-night stay at the Lamplighter, which we chose based upon the TripAdvisor reviews and rating. For the first time, Trip Advisor has let us down. I find it impossible to believe that the Lamplighter is the second-highest rated hotel in all of San Diego!
It is not great value for the money; it is simply an inexpensive motel, with nothing special or remarkable to recommend it. It is located on a busy street in a marginal neighborhood. The "lush landscaping" of the grounds consists of a few palm trees dotting the parking lot which makes up most of the site, and a patch of grass by the small pool (separated from the parking lot by only an iron fence).
We booked a room with a kitchen because it happened to be the best rate available. The room was large in area, but so badly laid out and drearily decorated that it felt cramped and depressing (the kitchen was a total waste of space, especially since it wasn't stocked with cookware or dishes- the cupboards and drawers were completely empty). The furniture was ugly and drab. The room was not well sound-proofed; each time our upstairs neighbors took a step, it sounded like elephants were marching across the ceiling. The bathroom was fortunately very clean, but the polyester-blend bath towels were thin and not very absorbent, and left a flurry of lint everywhere. The complimentary breakfast did feature a good selection of pastries, cereals, waffles, juices and fruit, but the pastries were stale and tasteless and the coffee (in styrofoam cups) was bad.
The Lamplighter is by no means a dump or a dive; it was clean, and the one staff member we dealt with on check-in and check-out was polite and efficient. But it does not by any stretch of the imagination deserve the inflated rating it now enjoys on TripAdvisor.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Best Western Lamplighter Inn & Suites (a AAA 2-diamond hotel) is conveniently located 3/4 miles from San Diego State University, and only 15 minutes from Downtown, the San Diego Zoo and Balboa Park. Many of the rooms include kitchen facilities, making this the ideal place for an extended stay. Amenities include: complimentary expanded continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi and parking, and heated outdoor pool, Children 12 and under stay free. Pet friendly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with AAA Travel Services, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, TripOnline SA and Odigeo so you can book your BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Lamplighter Inn And Suites At Sdsu Hotel San Diego
- Best Western Lamplighter Hotel
- Best Western San Diego
- San Diego Best Western