“Wonderful historic hotel in the Gas Lamp District” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #26 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Marble Falls, Texas
“Wonderful historic hotel in the Gas Lamp District”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I am so glad I chose this hotel! This is a historic hotel in the Gas Lamp District. I wanted to be downtown, but I was unsure of which hotel to choose. I read the reviews on Tripadvisor, and narrowed my choices. Then I started to second guess myself about whether to stay at the Del Coronado or Grand Hotel del Mar which I had read about...luxury... but 20-30 minutes from downtown San Diego & 3 times the price. The staff at the US Grant was superb, the rooms are very nice and comfy and the food at the Grant Grill is fantastic! I would definitely return to this hotel if my travels take me to San Diego in the future. Oh, and I saw people with their pets, so this would be a wonderful hotel if you needed to bring your pet. Also Valet Parking was very efficient & friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room facing the courtyard.
Green Features: This hotel participates in environmentally-friendly practices in many ways.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
We too are glad you chose this hotel and even more glad that you shared your experience online! Thank you for the compliments to the new Grant Grill menu as well as our valet staff. That team outside works hard everyday and doesn't have the luxury of staying in the AC like the front desk team does. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I always wanted to stay at a 5 star hotel so this vacation my family of 4 stayed here for 4 days. We loved it. We usually stay at Hampton inns or Holiday inn express to save money but I wanted to splurge this time and was so glad we did.

I was a little leery at 1st thinking that this hotel might be a bit snooty but it was not at all. I thought that the staff would be constantly expecting tips but it was the exact opposite. No one ever stood there waiting for a tip and I actually looked forward to giving them. Everyone who works at this hotel (the front desk,valet, housekeeping and the concierge) was so friendly and I truly felt like they were happy that we were there.(my husband noticed this also) It was so strange because at other hotels the employees just seem to be doing a job and could care less about the guest staying there. The staff seemed to enjoy working here. Everyone was eager to help us in any way they could. It changed my mind about 5 star hotels!!!!

I really enjoyed speaking w/Mark the concierge each morning. He helped plan each day of our trip to make it special. Even though I had just met him he made me feel like I was an old friend!
Our room wasn't ready when we arrived.(which was fine; it was before noon) so they kept our bags in storage for us. They kept apologizing I felt like they really felt bad about us flying across the country and not having a room ready. We were fine w/ storing our bags and sight seeing in Coronado for the rest of the day.
The rooms were so nice and the beds comfortable.
I am a tea drinker so they brought me up a tea kettle for the room. We also asked how much $ for a fridge---no charge but it is on a 1st come 1st serve with a limited amount of fridges.
We never did turn down service but did get the chocolates and water each night.
The bathroom had a scale in it---not so sure I liked this on vacation! The towels were so nice and thick as well as the 2 bathrobes. The shower had a modern frameless door and good water pressure. Nice soaps and shampoos provided but I used my own.

We never dined in the restaurants so no comment there.

This was such a pleasant stay for us and we can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I love this review, thank you for the great comments about our staff and especially Mark! We definitely try to blend 5 star genuine service with laid back San Diego style to create the ultimate indigenous experience for you. But you know what my favorite comments was? The scale! Why on earth do hotels keeps scaled in their bathrooms? I could see possibly a Westin hotel, focused on superfoods and wellness, keeping a scale but most hotels are for you to enjoy and get away from your concerns of daily life! I can honestly say i have never used one in a hotel yet that are required. Go figure. Great comments and thank you for being our guest! Jared, Director of Front Office
Orange County
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From the moment we arrived at the US Grant Hotel in San Diego to the moment we left, we felt that personal service and attention to our needs was top priority. This month my daughter and I paid our second visit to the US Grant, and it was even more delightful than the first. We love the location since it offers a short and direct drive to Balboa Park for taking in the museums, food, fountains, gardens and Spanish architecture; it's also walking distance to the seaport village and across the street from Horton Plaza.

We were given a top, spacious, corner room with four windows overlooking downtown and the Horton Plaza on one side and the US Grant's rooftop garden on the other. Super clean, I love the understated elegance of the decor in this hotel's rooms. It's not fussy but extremely tasteful, making for a calm atmosphere and promoting relaxation for work or leisure.

The bathroom was the largest I've had in a hotel of this stature, complete with new and contemporary construction, soothing amenities, and little extras to make one's stay comfortable. My favorite part of the bathroom was the super-plush, oversized bath sheets! Look for them at the bottom of the generous stacks of towels.

We wanted to use the internet and have a bite to eat at the same time, so we went to the lobby area with free wifi and chose one of the many lounging spots where we could charge and use our equipment at a sofa and coffee/cocktail table. Upon request, several attentive servers from the lounge at Grant's Grill came to see us to place our drink and snack orders. We felt relaxed and attended to; the staff truly cared that we were pleased with our drinks, food, and service.

Twice we ate at the Grant's Grill Lounge and enjoyed the light meals we chose there. In the past we'd had lunch at Grant's Grill restaurant and enjoyed the food, both quality and quantity. The atmosphere of both the lounge and restaurant is quiet, relaxed, yet refined. One can eat heartily or lightly for reasonable cost all around.

Each night when we returned to our room we found chocolates on the pillows and slippers laid out, bedside, on a linen cloth on the floor. The room attendant also kindly moved the complimentary bottles of water from the refreshment area to the bedside table. Such attention to detail!

Mark Peak, the Chief Concierge, was very attentive as well the next morning when we asked for a direct route to the parking at Balboa Park, and which lot to go to for ease of walking to the places we planned to visit. He marked our map with all the detail one would want, and described his experiences going there and the areas where we would be walking so we'd know what to look for. It is no wonder he has been awarded membership to Les Clefs d'Or. Mark knows the San Diego area in detail. I wouldn't hesitate to ask him for suggestions about any part of a visit there.

I'd like to call the US Grant my "home away from home". I have not said this about any other hotel. With many future visits, it may very well come to be!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room and the highest floor for your class of reservation if space and view are a co...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
A truly amazing review and thank you for recognizing Mark Peak, our chef concierge. He absolutely defines the luxury collection concierge and is an incredible asset to our team. I great appreciate you sharing this experience with our online community and we look forward to welcoming you back home soon! Jared, Director of Front Office
Doha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Booked a room as a surprise for family in the area. Location was perfect, property was gorgeous, staff was good and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

We did have an issue of housekeeping not coming during the day and we were forced to call around 8 pm to get toiletries and the beds made while we had dinner, but this was not a big deal.
US Grant Grill was amazing.

I got a discounted rate so I certainly cannot complain and was entirely satisfied, but I would be hesitant to pay full price, especially with internet, breakfast, and parking not included in the high room cost.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the fantastic review Josh! Sorry about the housekeeping confusion one of your days but I am glad that the staff, location and Grill made up for that. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
Sausalito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Very nice stay but the hotel needs to fix the elevators. Avoid room numbers that end with 04 or 06. Hotel is aware of the problem and the excessive noise that they create. Attractive bar and private dining.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
04 I would agree with you but only from floors 3-7. 06 on the other hand is actually the largest of the superior double rooms so they do have their advantages! But definitely don't rule out all 04 otherwise you would be missing several floors of suites on the higher floors! Sorry there was some elevator noise during your stay; the reminder of our historic nature. I am glad that beyond this the stay was pleasurable for you and we hope o welcome you back to a 1,2,3,5,7,8 or 9 room! Jared, Director of Front Office
Woodland Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We really liked this nice old Hotel. Its very Quiet, unless you are next to the elevators. Those old elevators can make a lot of noise in the middle of the night.
But the rest of the hotel has been beautifully redone and the food for breakfast was very good. Next time we are here we going to try the restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
You certainly should try the restaurant for dinner! We look forward to welcoming you back. The bread that comes with dinner is sinful and actually so good I often cant make it to dessert which is a crime in itself. Definitely look forward to you joining us for dinner at the legendary Grant Grill! Jared, Director of Front Office
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Reading the reviews I knew this nickel and dime hotel was not for me, but had no choice as we were part of a group.

Location- Homeless all around the hotel.
Reception- The staff in general is very well trained and friendly.
Breakfast –Not included
Room-For a luxury property and for the price of a 2 double bed, not a queen room, they are on the small size. The last day we also found out some members of the group got fruit trays and some didn’t, even though we were spg members and some weren’t.
Light for reading –Good
Bed –Very comfortable mattress. European style duvet which I hate. Maybe I could have asked for a blanket, but I didn’t think about it. Wee were too tired every night from sightseeing.
Air Conditioning-Very noisy
Wi-Fi- for a fee! Really, round 400 dollars a day and no free Wi fi?
TV-Good size modern
Refrigerator-The kind that if you touch anything it immediately charges it to the room! You can’t store your own stuff. They have a note that there is a limited amount of refrigerators they can bring to your room, but it will cost you in space. We didn’t ask for one.
Room for bags-Very tight even though this room was one level up from superior.
Tea Kettle or coffee maker- None! If you go downstairs to the restaurant there is free coffee very early in the morning. But no one tells you, we found out by chance.
Bathroom-Good size short on counter space. Cheap Angel Soft toilet paper and cheap tissue, no Kleenex here.
Shower pressure-Fair
Cloths line-none
Safety bar in bathroom-no safety bars at all.
Towels-Plenty and very thick. It is a joke that they have no room to hang towels to dry, but they ask you not to change them every day.
Amenities-Good quality, but very basic for such an expensive rate.
Hair dryer-Conair! Not exactly luxury line.
Full length mirror-Yes
Makeup mirror-Yes, but light was broken on ours
Parking-39 dollars a day!
Iron and ironing board-yes
Complimentary bottle water-Yes
Plugs-Good next to the bed
There is too much light in the rooms and they must be close to a fire department because we heard a lot of sirens during the night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
I think your first sentence kind of defined the trip a bit and seems to explain the focus of your review; sometimes its hard to overcome those predetermined notions. I appreciate though that even while recognizing that this type of hotel may not be your style that you still gave a fair review for the staff service itself; truly we appreciate that! Our staff is what we take the most pride in. Starwood has 9 brands for a reason, not every guest fits one mold! Thank you for joining us for your conference and I trust the event itself went fantastic. Jared, Director of Front Office

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!