“They truly cared about us and our stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #48 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County
“They truly cared about us and our stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

From the moment we arrived at the US Grant Hotel in San Diego to the moment we left, we felt that personal service and attention to our needs was top priority. This month my daughter and I paid our second visit to the US Grant, and it was even more delightful than the first. We love the location since it offers a short and direct drive to Balboa Park for taking in the museums, food, fountains, gardens and Spanish architecture; it's also walking distance to the seaport village and across the street from Horton Plaza.

We were given a top, spacious, corner room with four windows overlooking downtown and the Horton Plaza on one side and the US Grant's rooftop garden on the other. Super clean, I love the understated elegance of the decor in this hotel's rooms. It's not fussy but extremely tasteful, making for a calm atmosphere and promoting relaxation for work or leisure.

The bathroom was the largest I've had in a hotel of this stature, complete with new and contemporary construction, soothing amenities, and little extras to make one's stay comfortable. My favorite part of the bathroom was the super-plush, oversized bath sheets! Look for them at the bottom of the generous stacks of towels.

We wanted to use the internet and have a bite to eat at the same time, so we went to the lobby area with free wifi and chose one of the many lounging spots where we could charge and use our equipment at a sofa and coffee/cocktail table. Upon request, several attentive servers from the lounge at Grant's Grill came to see us to place our drink and snack orders. We felt relaxed and attended to; the staff truly cared that we were pleased with our drinks, food, and service.

Twice we ate at the Grant's Grill Lounge and enjoyed the light meals we chose there. In the past we'd had lunch at Grant's Grill restaurant and enjoyed the food, both quality and quantity. The atmosphere of both the lounge and restaurant is quiet, relaxed, yet refined. One can eat heartily or lightly for reasonable cost all around.

Each night when we returned to our room we found chocolates on the pillows and slippers laid out, bedside, on a linen cloth on the floor. The room attendant also kindly moved the complimentary bottles of water from the refreshment area to the bedside table. Such attention to detail!

Mark Peak, the Chief Concierge, was very attentive as well the next morning when we asked for a direct route to the parking at Balboa Park, and which lot to go to for ease of walking to the places we planned to visit. He marked our map with all the detail one would want, and described his experiences going there and the areas where we would be walking so we'd know what to look for. It is no wonder he has been awarded membership to Les Clefs d'Or. Mark knows the San Diego area in detail. I wouldn't hesitate to ask him for suggestions about any part of a visit there.

I'd like to call the US Grant my "home away from home". I have not said this about any other hotel. With many future visits, it may very well come to be!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room and the highest floor for your class of reservation if space and view are a co...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
A truly amazing review and thank you for recognizing Mark Peak, our chef concierge. He absolutely defines the luxury collection concierge and is an incredible asset to our team. I great appreciate you sharing this experience with our online community and we look forward to welcoming you back home soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Doha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Booked a room as a surprise for family in the area. Location was perfect, property was gorgeous, staff was good and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

We did have an issue of housekeeping not coming during the day and we were forced to call around 8 pm to get toiletries and the beds made while we had dinner, but this was not a big deal.
US Grant Grill was amazing.

I got a discounted rate so I certainly cannot complain and was entirely satisfied, but I would be hesitant to pay full price, especially with internet, breakfast, and parking not included in the high room cost.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the fantastic review Josh! Sorry about the housekeeping confusion one of your days but I am glad that the staff, location and Grill made up for that. We look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
Sausalito, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Very nice stay but the hotel needs to fix the elevators. Avoid room numbers that end with 04 or 06. Hotel is aware of the problem and the excessive noise that they create. Attractive bar and private dining.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
04 I would agree with you but only from floors 3-7. 06 on the other hand is actually the largest of the superior double rooms so they do have their advantages! But definitely don't rule out all 04 otherwise you would be missing several floors of suites on the higher floors! Sorry there was some elevator noise during your stay; the reminder of our historic nature. I am glad that beyond this the stay was pleasurable for you and we hope o welcome you back to a 1,2,3,5,7,8 or 9 room! Jared, Director of Front Office
Woodland Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We really liked this nice old Hotel. Its very Quiet, unless you are next to the elevators. Those old elevators can make a lot of noise in the middle of the night.
But the rest of the hotel has been beautifully redone and the food for breakfast was very good. Next time we are here we going to try the restaurant for dinner.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
You certainly should try the restaurant for dinner! We look forward to welcoming you back. The bread that comes with dinner is sinful and actually so good I often cant make it to dessert which is a crime in itself. Definitely look forward to you joining us for dinner at the legendary Grant Grill! Jared, Director of Front Office
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Reading the reviews I knew this nickel and dime hotel was not for me, but had no choice as we were part of a group.

Location- Homeless all around the hotel.
Reception- The staff in general is very well trained and friendly.
Breakfast –Not included
Room-For a luxury property and for the price of a 2 double bed, not a queen room, they are on the small size. The last day we also found out some members of the group got fruit trays and some didn’t, even though we were spg members and some weren’t.
Light for reading –Good
Bed –Very comfortable mattress. European style duvet which I hate. Maybe I could have asked for a blanket, but I didn’t think about it. Wee were too tired every night from sightseeing.
Air Conditioning-Very noisy
Wi-Fi- for a fee! Really, round 400 dollars a day and no free Wi fi?
TV-Good size modern
Refrigerator-The kind that if you touch anything it immediately charges it to the room! You can’t store your own stuff. They have a note that there is a limited amount of refrigerators they can bring to your room, but it will cost you in space. We didn’t ask for one.
Room for bags-Very tight even though this room was one level up from superior.
Tea Kettle or coffee maker- None! If you go downstairs to the restaurant there is free coffee very early in the morning. But no one tells you, we found out by chance.
Bathroom-Good size short on counter space. Cheap Angel Soft toilet paper and cheap tissue, no Kleenex here.
Shower pressure-Fair
Cloths line-none
Safety bar in bathroom-no safety bars at all.
Towels-Plenty and very thick. It is a joke that they have no room to hang towels to dry, but they ask you not to change them every day.
Amenities-Good quality, but very basic for such an expensive rate.
Hair dryer-Conair! Not exactly luxury line.
Full length mirror-Yes
Makeup mirror-Yes, but light was broken on ours
Parking-39 dollars a day!
Iron and ironing board-yes
Complimentary bottle water-Yes
Plugs-Good next to the bed
There is too much light in the rooms and they must be close to a fire department because we heard a lot of sirens during the night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
I think your first sentence kind of defined the trip a bit and seems to explain the focus of your review; sometimes its hard to overcome those predetermined notions. I appreciate though that even while recognizing that this type of hotel may not be your style that you still gave a fair review for the staff service itself; truly we appreciate that! Our staff is what we take the most pride in. Starwood has 9 brands for a reason, not every guest fits one mold! Thank you for joining us for your conference and I trust the event itself went fantastic. Jared, Director of Front Office
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The US Grant stood out during our 3 week vacation to the US and Hawai, the excellent Service
the wonderfull Lobby and an a la carte breakfast, not a buffett, first time in years that we got this.
Rooms small, but very nicely decorated.
Whenever my travels bring me back to SD, this will be my place to stay

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the future business and we look forward to welcoming you back as your new home in San Diego. Jared, Director of Front Office
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed here recently and I was looking for a nice hotel for a special occasion, as I have stayed at many luxury hotels I do realize that older hotels tend to have smaller rooms but make up for it with decoration. I had booked a legacy suite and the room was very nice but the bathroom was tiny! There was no tub to soak in and there was absolutely no space for my cosmetics, toiletries or to blow dry my hair. The in-room dining was very good and I cannot fault the staff. The Valet was extremely nice and so was the front desk staff, the lobby is beautiful although a few of the light blue sofas are looking tired. We enjoyed our stay overall, we had a king bed but it was not the most comfortable of beds, a little on the hard side. I like this hotel but it is not a 5 star experience even the staff who are very friendly were not overly service oriented. I don't think I would stay here again because the room and service do not warrant a 400$ room and 39$ Parking charge. There is also no pool which I did know about but after everything else you realize that the price is just too high with an amenity like that missing. My boyfriend had a massage and he said it was good but not excellent. I had free wifi but it came with my starwood membership. I also would never recommend the Grant Grill for breakfast - save money and go somewhere else. The dinner however was amazing.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairly accurate in several waysamanjeanwill and I am never one to argue facts! Technically we are not 5 star. many guests go by our star ranking on trip advisor or other booking engines but in reality "true" 5 star hotels are ranked by Forbes and one of the requirements is to have a pool! Since we do not, regretfully we are Forbes 4 star but having worked at 5 star properties myself I can say I am proud of the service our staff offers as on par with those hotels. They may be 90 years newer but we have a charm they cannot build from scratch... it take years of history to accomplish! Thank you for the feedback and praise for the IRD, Valet and front desk staff. We wish you the best in all your future travels! Jared, Director of Front Office