“Not our choice- no value for money-would not stay again” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #29 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Not our choice- no value for money-would not stay again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Reading the reviews I knew this nickel and dime hotel was not for me, but had no choice as we were part of a group.

Location- Homeless all around the hotel.
Reception- The staff in general is very well trained and friendly.
Breakfast –Not included
Room-For a luxury property and for the price of a 2 double bed, not a queen room, they are on the small size. The last day we also found out some members of the group got fruit trays and some didn’t, even though we were spg members and some weren’t.
Light for reading –Good
Bed –Very comfortable mattress. European style duvet which I hate. Maybe I could have asked for a blanket, but I didn’t think about it. Wee were too tired every night from sightseeing.
Air Conditioning-Very noisy
Wi-Fi- for a fee! Really, round 400 dollars a day and no free Wi fi?
TV-Good size modern
Refrigerator-The kind that if you touch anything it immediately charges it to the room! You can’t store your own stuff. They have a note that there is a limited amount of refrigerators they can bring to your room, but it will cost you in space. We didn’t ask for one.
Room for bags-Very tight even though this room was one level up from superior.
Tea Kettle or coffee maker- None! If you go downstairs to the restaurant there is free coffee very early in the morning. But no one tells you, we found out by chance.
Bathroom-Good size short on counter space. Cheap Angel Soft toilet paper and cheap tissue, no Kleenex here.
Shower pressure-Fair
Cloths line-none
Safety bar in bathroom-no safety bars at all.
Towels-Plenty and very thick. It is a joke that they have no room to hang towels to dry, but they ask you not to change them every day.
Amenities-Good quality, but very basic for such an expensive rate.
Hair dryer-Conair! Not exactly luxury line.
Full length mirror-Yes
Makeup mirror-Yes, but light was broken on ours
Parking-39 dollars a day!
Iron and ironing board-yes
Complimentary bottle water-Yes
Plugs-Good next to the bed
There is too much light in the rooms and they must be close to a fire department because we heard a lot of sirens during the night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
I think your first sentence kind of defined the trip a bit and seems to explain the focus of your review; sometimes its hard to overcome those predetermined notions. I appreciate though that even while recognizing that this type of hotel may not be your style that you still gave a fair review for the staff service itself; truly we appreciate that! Our staff is what we take the most pride in. Starwood has 9 brands for a reason, not every guest fits one mold! Thank you for joining us for your conference and I trust the event itself went fantastic. Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The US Grant stood out during our 3 week vacation to the US and Hawai, the excellent Service
the wonderfull Lobby and an a la carte breakfast, not a buffett, first time in years that we got this.
Rooms small, but very nicely decorated.
Whenever my travels bring me back to SD, this will be my place to stay

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the future business and we look forward to welcoming you back as your new home in San Diego. Jared, Director of Front Office
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed here recently and I was looking for a nice hotel for a special occasion, as I have stayed at many luxury hotels I do realize that older hotels tend to have smaller rooms but make up for it with decoration. I had booked a legacy suite and the room was very nice but the bathroom was tiny! There was no tub to soak in and there was absolutely no space for my cosmetics, toiletries or to blow dry my hair. The in-room dining was very good and I cannot fault the staff. The Valet was extremely nice and so was the front desk staff, the lobby is beautiful although a few of the light blue sofas are looking tired. We enjoyed our stay overall, we had a king bed but it was not the most comfortable of beds, a little on the hard side. I like this hotel but it is not a 5 star experience even the staff who are very friendly were not overly service oriented. I don't think I would stay here again because the room and service do not warrant a 400$ room and 39$ Parking charge. There is also no pool which I did know about but after everything else you realize that the price is just too high with an amenity like that missing. My boyfriend had a massage and he said it was good but not excellent. I had free wifi but it came with my starwood membership. I also would never recommend the Grant Grill for breakfast - save money and go somewhere else. The dinner however was amazing.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Fairly accurate in several waysamanjeanwill and I am never one to argue facts! Technically we are not 5 star. many guests go by our star ranking on trip advisor or other booking engines but in reality "true" 5 star hotels are ranked by Forbes and one of the requirements is to have a pool! Since we do not, regretfully we are Forbes 4 star but having worked at 5 star properties myself I can say I am proud of the service our staff offers as on par with those hotels. They may be 90 years newer but we have a charm they cannot build from scratch... it take years of history to accomplish! Thank you for the feedback and praise for the IRD, Valet and front desk staff. We wish you the best in all your future travels! Jared, Director of Front Office
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

What a beautiful hotel! We stayed at the US Grant for 3 nights at the start of a 2 week holiday around California and it was our favourite of them all. The rooms are decorated to the highest standard and all details considered, an extremely comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. We were next to the road and although a little noisy at times it certainly wasn't the hotels fault. The breakfast was one of the best we've ever had, table service, all freshly made and we were made to feel like royalty. The concierge Lee Ann was exceptional at her job and truly made our stay. A great location in the Gas Lamp quarter we walked everywhere and made the most of the local bars and restaurants. The bar is beautiful and they serve a great selection of drinks and snacks as part of happy hour. There's not many places we'd go back to as there's a whole world to see but we'd go back to San Diego to stay in this iconic hotel.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We are very proud that Le Ann made such a positive impact on your stay! She is an integral part of the best concierge team in San Diego (that's right, I said it). We look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Having lived in SD for few years back in the late 80's/early 90's, the Grant was undergoing a total renovation which made it one of the top hotels in the city. We selected to stay here on a return trip as it is central to what we wanted and needed. Check in went very smoothly on Christmas evening and our room was spectacular---combination of modern and classic! Comfortable bed and a very large bathroom! Wonderful turn-down service each night.....music to relax! Walked over to Horton Plaza for Starbuck's each morning.
As it was during the holidays, the hotel was lit up in red and green!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
What really impresses me about this review is that is from last Christmas! I am so proud that we made such an impact on your holiday trip that you remembered us all the way until August for the review. Thank you so much and perhaps we will welcome you back for a summertime Christmas someday! Jared, Director of Front Office
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

I cannot speak lay highly enough of this hotel and their amazing staff! We arrived late in the evening tired - but nothing was too much for their staff from the car valet to the receptionist. A beautiful hotel, conveniently located for all areas of the city.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Love to hear it Susan and thank you for sharing your experience with our staff! We look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

I enjoyed the US Grant, however my husband did not. We were first put in a room at reeked of cigarettes. We called down to be moved and the staff moved us very quickly.

Our second room was directly across the hall and next to the elevator shaft. The first room was next to the elevator too. The hotel was full and we could not get moved. My husband requested a recommendation at a sister hotel that was not fully booked, but they could not give us any. We stayed.

We were told that the elevators would be turned off during the night, this is not true.

I was fine, but my husband did not sleep at all. As many know, when the husband is not happy, neither am I.

My husband was also unhappy with the fact that it was a full, not queen bed. When we looked up the room description, that is what it says. Read carefully! No assumptions. No coffee maker.

This hotel is in Gaslamp, but not totally in the thick of it. Homelessness and noise gets more extreme a few blocks over. In that respect this is a good choice--close, but not too close.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Sorry about not having more options for you during your stay! It does get tough when we get sold out to find that perfect room at times. Good advice to our readers in this review, we do have a few Superior Rooms with single beds (read: 1 double bed) which are our most historic rooms for certain. Still all the luxurious amenities of any other room and protected from the street noise which is great, but definitely on the smaller side and a bit close to elevators. Thank you for the balanced review nonetheless and I hope to welcome you back into a deluxe room or other category that will definitely exceed your expectations! Jared, Director of Front Office

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!