“Beautiful, historic hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Beautiful, historic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Spent two nights in this hotel. Easy access to the airport, and downtown San Diego. Rooms were very clean and spacious. Corner room had nice natural light. Bathroom was clean, and modern. Some street noise from level 7, but not to bad. We had a corner room facing the Horton Plaza. Staff very friendly, and helpful. Fitness room was adequate. Restaurant was excellent for breakfast. Definately return and recommend.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for the recommendation CaliDasiy and we look forward to welcoming you back! A nice well rounded review of our highlights. See you on your next visit! Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Arabic first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel exudes old world charm and comfort. Our room was spacious clean and quiet. The staff, especially Jose were incredibly cheerful and welcoming. The location is perfect in that it is in the middle of downtown. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
I will be sure to let Jose know your praise, thank you for recognizing his efforts! We look forward to your next visit. Jared, Director of Front Office
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed at the US Grant the night before my wedding. Everything was absolutely perfect! The staff was extremely polite and knowledgeable. They were also very helpful with hailing cabs for us and our room service arrived promptly at the time it was requested. The room was stunning. We loved the unique art on the walls. The shower was beautiful and was the size of a walk-in closet. The hotel is also conveniently located in downtown San Diego. We got married at the courthouse and we could have walked there is we wanted to. This was a perfect place to stay to make sure the evening and morning before our wedding was as stress-free and ran as smoothly as possible.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are small. You may want to specify if you'd like to pay for a larger room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Forget the niceties about the hotel, congratulations on your wedding!! Thank YOU for celebrating with us before your big day! I can only hope you were relaxing in a hammock somewhere tropical with a Mai Tai in one hand and a laptop in the other while writing this review. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back for anniversaries! Jared, Director of Front Office.
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

San Diego first visit. Looking for a good hotel was recommended the US Grant. Stayed 2 nights. The reviews are quite accurate, location good, quality hotel and staff but; The location are the back is where quite a few homeless people reside, and hassle you for whatever. The hotel is excellent apart from our room, being a superior full room, meaning next to, NO, on the Lift Shaft Elevators, being constantly noisy. UP & Down all night! We complained by telephone, in person at the desk to No avail. All where going to do something and get back- No one did! We asked to be moved, same, reaction, all where checking no one got back to us. In the end we just got on with it! The best it got was they where going to shut the lift off at 11'ish back on at 7am, not sure that happened.

The staff at the US GRANT are very helpful and pleasant, but 'actions speak louder than words'

Loved San Diego waterfront, didn't get enough time to explore all, would have been better if we had a decent room we paid full bucks for!

Room Tip: Not by the Elevators Shafts need to specify
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Those elevators have been working hard for many many years in this historic building and yes, they can be noisy. A few reviews down someone described this situation and this is again the Superior Room with a Single bed. Definitely not for the light sleeper, it is our most historic room (smallest too). Sounds like you were visiting on a Sold Out weekend but even if there weren't any other room options, I apologize that no one got back to you. Despite a solution or not, the staff needs to communicate with you. Good feedback for me! Jared, Director of Front Office.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Wonderful location. Stayed three days for a business meeting in March. Rooms on the small side when compared to modern construction, but very nicely appointed. Bed was amazingly comfortable. Staff is first rate. Allowed an early check-in so I could prepare for dinner after a morning round of golf.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
I hope the early check in and comfortable beds meant success for you on the greens! It could be a good future marketing angle for us. "Sleep at he US Grant and take a few stroked off your next game". I know my game could definitely use it. I would have to sleep here for a month straight to be respectable. Thank you for being our guest! Jared, Director of Front Office.
MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My company just finalized an industry meeting for 200 people and this was a great hotel!

First, the good stuff:
* The staff was outstanding - attentive, helpful, corteous and polite.
* Facility was first-rate. Now, its not new, so if you expecting new, you'll be disappointed. The meeting rooms were very professional, A/V was excellent and all the attendees raved about the facilities.
* Rooms - all the guest rooms are re-done and are very comfortable. Great mattresses!
* Location - right on the outskirts of Gaslight district so easily walkable and right by the San Diego LRT, so simple to get anyplace farther away.
* Appearance - hotel is stunning. So much architectural detail!

I highly recommend this facility. My family came with me on this trip and they loved it too!

Here are my issues:
* Bathroom temps - not AC vents in the bathroom so air-flow can be a bit iffy and can get a bit stuffy.
* Noise - lots of street noise outside the hotel and older windows don't really keep noise out.
* LL meeting rooms - there were certainly usable, but a bit dated.

All-in-all, these are pretty minor concerns.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Everyone who has read my responses knows I LOVE balanced feedback. I find these to be extremely fair and appreciate them a lot. Thank you for recognizing some things very important to me... most important being the people! This is what makes a hotel in my eyes. I hope next time we can welcome you back for leisure instead! Jared, Director of Front Office
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

as you pull up to the hotel you may notice that the flags flying are very faded, one of them says luxury collection. brace yourself. a once grand hotel has undergone a bad and cheaply done renovation. but wait it gets worse, staff is very junior and completely untrained. there is so much wrong i don't know where to start unless i start here: take this hotel out of the amex fine hotel program now! the windows are original and single pane, the hotel is on the corner of drunken tourist and noisy bar. staff will arrogantly inform you that a building with a landmark designation can't have new windows-well not unless you pay for compliant ones . package air conditioning units in the ceiling are noisy. and in some rooms inadequate to cool the room. i had two rooms, one too noisy, the next too hot (maintenance overrode the thermostat and let me blast polar air). window shades are torn, paint is chipped, wall paper in the hallways is peeling, elevators are rattling like freight elevators and there are recycle bins in your brocade covered foyers?? as the waiter removed my ice bucket with melted ice he asked, do you want that thing in there? that thing was my ice tong, i'm not sure whether he was going to fish it out or expected me to, but it occurred to me, they don't replace or wash them this is disgusting. if you ask for housekeeping later in the day be prepared for them to look at you like you're crazy. do you want me to empty the trash? i washed the sink, you don't want me to clean the bathroom counter do you? general operators take your room service orders after 5, operators not trained in food service-disaster. there is one oasis in the hotel and that's the valet desk. they will run and find you a cab, never let you leave without water and generally take care of you albeit in a dumpy low ceiling entrance that is not at all elegant. run to the water and the chain hotels, this is NOT a good option.

Room Tip: stay off the main intersection, go as high as you can
Green Features: recycle bins in the halls are an invitation for a mess, no invitation to save towels or sheets for more than a day
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
It isn't often I know who a reviewer is since its always using a screen name but in this case I do. It was a pleasure meeting with you during your long stay. Despite your screen name being "ImpossiblyPicky" (I haven't read your other reviews yet to see if this is the case or not) but I don't think it is. I know you had some legitimate concerns during your stay and being in this industry long as I have I know that what is important to guest 1 is not always as important to guest 2, but maybe be EPICALLY important to guest 3. This is not only reality, but its very legitimate. When I travel for instance I can easily overlook minor cleanliness oversights since its not that important to me. What is important to me is friendliness and genuine service when I travel, even if things go wrong I expect at least the courteous nature and effort from the staff... even if it cannot be fixed (which is generally irrelevant to me). My girlfriend however, totally opposite! Minor cleanliness things can freak her out while service she may overlook since she is not in this industry. Moral of the story, you had concerns with noise in one room and the AC in the next and though the staff took steps to try and correct, they are big deals to you and I respect that. I think you also have some good feedback with some staff interactions that didn't go how they should but it seems you are well traveled and, based on what my engineer told me, you have a strong working knowledge of AC units! He was impressed, and that isn't easy! So maybe it isn't so much that you are "impossiblypicky" as you are just well educated in things travel and structure and have a high expectation therein; which I apologize for not meeting during this stay. We are fortunate to have the Fine Hotels and Resorts program at this hotel (the only downtown hotel with this distinction) and we love the well traveled guests that come with it; I expect and welcome the most discerning of them as this is what makes us better and its who we strive to serve. I am glad your other guest rooms did not share the same issues you did and wish you all the best in your future travels which I am sure will be to far off and exciting places! Thank you for being our guest and know that here at the US Grant, "impossible" is just a reason to push ourselves farther next time! Jared, Director of Front Office

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!