“Conference Attendee - Great Choice!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Conference Attendee - Great Choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

While this may be a bit of a walk from the convention center (about 15 minutes) the location was pretty great being on the edge of the Gaslamp and the hotel itself was beautiful. I was here for the NAFSA conference which brings in people from all of the world, when I went to book my conference hotel the majority that were closer were already sold out, but this one was available. I looked at it and thought it looked nice and booked it. The conference price was really good and right away when I arrived I was treated really well. I was able to check in early and switch from a double room to a room with just a king size bed, I did get free internet (you have to pay per day otherwise) and declined the regular housekeeping services for more points. I was staying a week and every day around 7 a housekeeper would come in and tidy up and turn down the bed and shut the shades. The bed was really nice and I felt like I was sleeping in a marshmallow. If you don't like down pillows and comforters, you probably wouldn't like the bed. The room itself was a bit small, but it would be perfect for one or two people. The bathroom was very nice and the towels and supplies were great. The only negative is the traffic outside in the middle of the night, but that really can't be helped in a big city! I would stay here again if I were to visit San Diego!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Wow that is a great overall review! I love when conference attendees discover our property by accident and fall in love with it. We hope to see you next year for the conference again! Jared, Director of Front Office

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
Los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Headed to SD for a quick weekend getaway, and found the hotel to be really classy. US Grant is an exceptionally nice hotel -- the lobby is beautiful, the architecture is amazing. All in all, the service we found to be somewhat lacking and the staff not what we expected.

PROS:
1. Fantastic hard product - outside, inside, lobby, overall atmosphere is really nice
2. Rooms are super clean and tidy, just a bit small
3. Great lighting in the hallways and room

CONS:
1. Although a SPG Gold member, they did not properly honor all the benefits
2. Room was really small -- apparently upgraded -- but felt ridiculously small
3. Parking is pretty pricey

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
I can always appreciate a mixed honest review; thank you for taking the time to share! I wish I knew what aspect of your Gold Membership was not honored... the only benefit in the Gold Program that is subject to availability is the upgrade so maybe that wasn't available and that is what you are referring to? Everything else should be automatic; I apologize if something was missed! I am glad you enjoyed our historic design and we hope to see you again. Jared, Director of Front Office
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My friend and I came for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon and stayed at the US GRANT. It was a really beautiful classical hotel with many modern touches. The room was fitted with everything expected from a luxury hotel. Nice beds and turndpwn service and the decor was classical, yet contemporary. I wish there was a pool too, but I don't see where it would fit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and congratulations on your finishing the Rock and Roll Marathon! We have tried to find a place to put a pool but in a historic building at times it just doesn't make sense. Thankfully our guests can use the Westin Galsmap's pool! We look forward to seeing you for the run next year. Jared, Director of Front Office.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

Everyone was extremely pleasant, the hotel itself is beautiful and well maintained and rooms are very clean, recently renovated and comfortable. A luxury hotel for a good price--definitely recommend staying at the Grant

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
You know what never dawned on me until I saw your review is how many terms the post office shares with hospitality. First class (experience), overnight (parking), priority (check in), 2 day (stay), postage...... alright I don't have anything for that one... Except that WE ALWAYS DELIVER! (Someone just got a high-five). Jared, Director of Front Office.
Gibraltar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and loved it. Location is excellent, close to a shopping center and at one end of the gaslamp so you can walk the whole way along all the bars & restaurants. The room was lovely & plush, the staff were great especially the chap on check-in he was really helpful & they had some wine & treats delivered to my room for my birthday which was a really lovely touch. The breakfast was also excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for recognizing our front desk staff! I need to try and figure out who you are so I can see who checked you in and recognize them! We look forward to your next visit; hopefully a 4 night stay next time! Jared, Director of Front Office
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The US Grant has become our favourite hotel for San Diego. Consistently good/friendly service, spacious and well appointed rooms and a great, central location - opposite Horton Plaza and the Gaslamp Quarter. Suprisingly good value for a Luxury Collection hotel when there are specials. Our only gripe is perhaps inconsistency in the Grant Grill - especially for breakfast with variable staff helpfulness and food quality.

Room Tip: Try for a suite if possible - very spacious. Higher floor if possible as street noise can ben annoyi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Consistency is key Gourmand and I am proud that you recognized ours! And yes we do run some very enticing specials for a luxury property... keep your eye on our website! I apologize for the opportunity in the Grant Grill and will pass the feedback along as well. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you again.... consistently! Jared, Director of Front Office
Davis, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel is a luxury classic one...located two blocks from the charming Gas Lamp district...parking is available and the staff is amazing...from the front desk to the housekeeping...the parking staff is most helpful as well.

Room Tip: The location is such that a good room is any room...
Green Features: They offer to clean/or clean and change linens....
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Short and sweet San Miguel Sandy! Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon! (Sorry I couldn't work more "S" starting words into that sentence.... I never was great with alliterations)... Jared, Director of Front Office, not director of poetic prose.

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!