“Great Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

If you are looking for great service, the US Grant is for you! The staff is outstanding. The valet staff is so helpful, offering water, directions or really anything you need. Housekeeping really goes above and beyond! It is a very walkable location to restaurants. The rooms are very lovely and the headboards are so unique. Overall, the hotel seemed like a great deal, especially when they offered a special that included valet parking!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Wow I cannot thank you enough for your kind praise Chloe! Truly a raving review and we couldn't be more blessed to have satisfied guests like yourself enjoying the legacy of the US Grant Hotel. Thank you for your patronage and taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you again soon! Jared, Director of Front Office

1,691 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Flemington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I spent 5 nights at the US Grant with my wife, 2 year old son and in-laws. Rooms were clean & elegantly appointed though views are not a strength. Concierge service was outstanding - great attention to detail! Super central location close to shops, transport and waterfront. We would love to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
We love to see a happyozzi, thank you for the positive review! The concierge is the foundation of any Luxury Collection hotel so thank you for utilizing their service and allowing them to curate your experience. Being in the middle of the downtown area you are right in that views aren't what we sell. Its the experience, service and location we truly focus on! We look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having never stayed in San Diego before - we took the recommendation from our travel agent and stayed downtown. This hotel is located in the Gaslamp district and is 2 blocks from a major social scene and great restaurants and bars.

The hotel is in an older building so the rooms are smaller and the bathroom is tiny. All the amenities are nice - but if you need more space, pick a different hotel. We were in a Grand Deluxe Room which had a living room area which we never used but was a nice addition for extra space.

The hotel is beautiful and so well located - the staff was very helpful and the assisted in every way possible. The concierge staff went above and beyond.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Love the review Earrin and welcome to San Diego for the first time! Our concierge and staff are the pillar of our historic hotel and I am proud they made your stay memorable. We look forward to welcoming you back soon for trip number two! Jared, Director of Front Office
District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here on business in September 2013. The hotel is nicely restored – except for the fact that they apparently cut corners by not replacing the old single-pane windows with architecturally appropriate sound-dampening ones. As a result, street noise in the room was very, very loud to the point where you couldn't sleep. But that’s OK, at 7:00 AM the construction with beeping earth-moving equipment and jackhammers started in the park across the street.

I had paid for two nights in advance. I went down the next morning and talked to the front desk clerk and told him that I’d like to check out since due to the constant noise as the result of the crummy windows the room wasn’t functioning as a hotel room – and that I’d like my second night refunded. He agreed. On checking out, I talked to a second, very nice front desk person, who clucked sympathetically and gave me some chocolates for my trouble. And I confirmed again that I wouldn’t be charged. So off I went to stay at the architecturally bland but quiet Hyatt by the convention center.

So it’s five weeks later and the charge for the second night has not been credited back to me. I call their billing office twice and leave a message, but no one returns my call. I call yet again, talk to a front desk manager who listens to my story and then tells me the note attached to my file says that I was informed explicitly that I would be charged for the second night and that I had agreed to this. “That’s odd,” he said. I agreed. He said he would investigate. That night the amount was refunded to my credit card account. He did, however, leave me a message that he had talked to both staff people who said that I had been told that I’d be charged, that he had talked to the billing department who said that they had returned my call and left a message, and that they had refunded my night’s stay only out of their kindness of their own corporate heart –but he made it repeatedly clear that they didn’t have to do this. He also chose to focus on the construction noise, and not the general noise in the room due to their crummy windows.

So I guess I’m a hallucinating liar. Instead of handling a simple situation gracefully and honestly, I get a condescending phone call where I’m told that I’ve lied to them repeatedly. Instead of building up good will from a possible return customer, I’m sitting here writing this negative review and, if anyone asks where to stay in San Diego, I can tell there where not to stay – unless they enjoy noisy rooms and perfidious staff.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you need to sleep.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Considering your experience I am still happy you gave us 2 stars and I thank you for that. I will be honest, I always appreciate exceptional diction in a review and for you my hat is off! I actually looked up "perfidious" though afterward I wish I hadn't! That is definitely not the impression we want the staff to receive. There was undeniably a large amount of miscommunication in your situation with facts seemingly going in every direction; and for that I apologize. I am sure you appreciate us doing our due dilligence in researching a refund claim as much as we appreciate your call of concern in the first place which led to your refund promptly after talking to me. Noise in the city can be a concern to some guests, single pane or double, especially with construction acrossed the street and we don't want that experience for any of our guests whether its inside our control or not. Ultimately I am glad your experience resolved how you had first expected it and for any miscommunication at the desk and delays and after the fact we apologize. Best of luck and safest travels on all of your future endeavors! Jared, Director of Front Office.
Irvine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This hotel is at the edge of the Gaslamp Quarter district in San Diego which makes it great for a weekend getaway. The decor is very refined and quite posh, definitely what you would expect for the money that you pay for. The rooms are very spacious and well laid out. The beds are super comfortable and you could sleep in them like a baby. The rooms keep a modern but retro look. I would definitely stay here again the next time I'm in the San Diego area. Parking at this hotel is valet only and costs about $38 a night but parking is not free anywhere in the downtown area.

Green Features: The hotel's environmentally-friendly practices are definitely admirable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I appreciate many things about your review Alfred. You seem to be a well versed traveler! Thank you for the compliments on our adornments and value as well as our great location. parking is a frequent concern of guests but as you said, not alot of free parking in big cities these days. I am just happy we haven't hit the levels of LA/San Fran/New York yet! Glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you soon! Jared, Director of Front Office
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband had to go to San Diego for a business meeting and I tagged along because I love the weather in San Diego. The business meeting was being held at this hotel so for convenience sake we stayed here.

The hotel, located on Broadway near the Gaslamp District was lovely. We had a room with a king sized bed and it was so comfortable! We were given plush robes and with the turndown service every night there were Hershey's Kisses on the pillows.

Every employee we encountered were pleasant and accommodating. I have to give a special shout out to the bartender Bruce, who works in the Grant Grill. He remembered what we liked to drink, was very pleasant and professional, and he made great suggestions for dinner. Thanks Bruce!

Our stay here was great, and we hope to return again someday soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
We always appreciate a good shout out and I will ensure that Bruce hears it! He is an integral part of the Grant Grill team and exemplifies the service we pride ourselves in. I am very happy he went above and beyond for you on this trip. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We came down to celebrate our anniversary and as soon as we checked in we were greeted by the fantastic front desk staff. Nicholas, Demi and Magdalena were great and gave us a beautiful room! Lee Ann was so sweet and called the restaurant we had already made reservations for to make sure that they knew it was a special occasion. It was such a wonderful surprise! The food at the waffle brunch was really good and we checked out with Kaylyn who was great and helped us put our Starwood points to good use.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for recognizing so many of our amazing front office ambassadors! This makes me particularly proud. I am glad you had the great guest experience we want for all of our guests and well done in using and redeeming your starpoints! Just another reason Starwood is ahead of the game. We look forward to seeing you again! Jared, Director of Front Office

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!