“San Diego-downtown,Gaslight district,stay here!” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #29 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
long Beach,ca.
“San Diego-downtown,Gaslight district,stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Ok,Im new at this,and I want to share a good thing with you, My wife and I spent one night at the wyn
dum mission hills resort th n one night at the Grant...this review is of course of the grant
We had visited the Hotel by just walking in a earlier time and decided this time to make reservations here for one night to "check it out". We had a great time, and we wanted to stay on a budget,yet have a good time. We are members of starwood program,so we used our points for the room, it was fair for the points used.The lobby and hotel was renovated, several yrs back and they did a great job. the lobby is beautiful,lighting colors everything very regal. One of the Concierge named Mark gave us great reccommendations,and we checked in with JD. He gave us an upgrade to a suite, which is small, but comfortable.They also gave a choice of a gift as we are starwood gold members, we chose the free drink at the "Grill", and slyly worked out another free drink since there was my wife and myself. Every employee is friendly,and greets you as you pass by.
Eating at the local restaurant,was great, we received our free drinks, then wanted to go light on eating so we split an order on our waiters recommendations, and we used a 20% discount given to us by the concierge (mark). I have no trouble trying to save money, but you must tip on the full amount that you would normally spend .....out of respect and care for your serving staff. Lets say your bill would normally be 100.00....but with your discount you would save 60.00 dollars and only be billed 40.00...you would tip 20% on 100.00. as we did since the service and everything was great. our dinner was 38 dollars and we tipped 20.00. The cleaning staff gave us extra soap. we lefrt a tip of 5.00 /night for the room and in the end we tipped the front desk, and the car attendant. So they will remember us on our next visit .
The place is 5 star and we like being pampered and treated special....you'll get the same service there too. we will of course be back, maybe for a week Christmas time!!

Room Tip: ask and you shall receive,do it nicely
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for your kind review and for giving us a chance while you were downtown! Actually, on behalf of the entire service industry thank you for taking the time to recognize your service staff especially when obtaining special benefits or discounts. The good karma you are building up will only continue to pay off for you! The industry thanks you for your respect and generosity. We look forward to welcoming you anytime! I will pass your praise of JD and Mark on as well; I am proud they made an impact on your stay. Jared, Director of Front Office.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Arabic first
Redondo Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed 2 nights 9-13-13 for a family event. Had 2 standard double rooms, #735 and #737. I am gold level SPG member and was shown a small suite and a corner room as an upgrade option, but I actually liked the standard ones better. I estimate the size to be approx. 350 sq. feet. This is an old hotel and some rooms are configured a bit strangely. Ask to see different types of rooms. The rooms had plenty of natural light and I loved the fact that the bathroom had a huge window facing the outside. Also, the windows did open slightly to let in fresh air. The rooms are beautifully decorated.

The bar offers excellent and unique drinks. Worth exploring. The gym provides best equipment I have seen. My elliptical came with touchscreen tv with internet, tv and radio access. Disposable headsets are also provided, as well as cold water bottles. Perfect!

Room service was a bit slow and one soup was somewhat cold. Nothing horrible. I mentioned it to front desk at checkout and entire charge was removed. I thought that was more than generous. Staff was very polite, pleasant and actually helpful. The concierge, front desk manager Magdalena, valet staff, EVERYONE!

A couple of glitches. the window sills in room were dirty and dusty. Seems like these are the original 1910 windows. The lamp in room had burned out bulbs and one of 2 phones did not work. Engineering replaced only one lamp and replaced phone hand set. Phone still did not work. Minor annoyances.

Overall, a very nice stay. I would not mind going back at all!

Room Tip: All rooms are of different size and configuration. See more than one room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very fair and balanced review! I am proud that though there were some minor physical setbacks within the room that the staff and other accomodations more than made up for it. I will pass your praise to my wonderful concierge team as well as Magdalena our excellent front desk manager! We look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of an incentive trip that I earned with the company I represent.

The staff was wonderful and our concierge Mark helped plan all the details to make our trip memorable.

The location is ideal if you'd like to stay in the Gaslamp District and enjoy the food from HUNDREDS of local eateries.

My one complaint is that after asking the hotel staff TWICE to clear out the mini bar in the room (so we could use the fridge), we were STILL charged for the ENTIRE contents of the mini bar. The front desk staff apologized profusely, but I have yet to see the charge reversed on my credit card.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review and congratulations on winning your incentive trip! I apologize (again) for the minibar issue. Regretfully I cannot identify your reservation by your trip advisor name but if you have any concerns please reach out to us so we can ensure they are ammended. Thank you again for taking the time to leave your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back! Jared, Director of Front Office
Dana Point, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

It was our one year wedding anniversary and we wanted to treat ourselves to a weekend of luxury in the San Diego Gas Lamp District. The US grant has the perfect blend of an ideal location mixed with comfortable luxury, elegance and class. The Lobby is stunning with chandeliers, pillars, and a beautiful sculpture in the center. The history and artwork surround you creating an ambiance that is truly elegant and intelligent. We checked in with Steven and Jared at the front desk. Their greeting was professional yet cordial. They answered all of our questions and gave us a few wonderful suggestions for our weekend. After hearing about the specially cocktails in the Grant Grill we decided we would have our anniversary dinner and drinks on property before we hit the town. We entered into a lovely dining room with excellent mood lighting, more chandeliers and the most elegant gold flecked declarative plate wear. We had heard a rumor that they have the best bread in town and this is NO JOKE! It is the best bread in town! Beatrice was our server for the evening. She and her staff were so attentive they anticipated our every need. We wanted for nothing. My husband had a US GRANT Centennial Manhattan, actually he had 2 they were so good. I enjoyed a carbonated Cocktail Sur Lie, The Mule. Most delicious unique drink I have ever enjoyed. My description cannot do it justice you will just have to try it. our appetizers and dinner was perfectly prepared. Steven had recommended the Crab Risotto so we followed his lead. It was the best risotto I have had in years. My husbands Bone in Rib Eye was the best he had ever had and my Scallops were cooked to perfection! Not an easy task. Our room was beautiful, clean and had everything we could have wanted. We both agree that it was probably the most comfortable hotel bed we have ever slept in. My husband loved the cozy plush bath towels. Nicholas checked us out on Sunday. We had messed up and had double ordered a movie by accident. He corrected our error hassle free with such ease and of course that comforting smile that says, as our guest you can do no wrong. I feel confident that we could have asked for almost anything during our stay and the proficient, friendly staff would have made it happen with a smile. Thank you for making our anniversary so memorable. We will be back for another 5 star experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
I don't think any response I could write for this amazing review could do it justice. Just know that we are proud! Jared, Director of Front Office
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Redeemed points and wanted to give this hotel a try. Room was standard and very small compared to any other hotel I stay...convenient valet though drive-in style..stayed during labor day weekend and 3 bar keepers couldn't keep up with the service at the downstairs bar where the AC was too hot. Nice live music though Saturday night..
Prefer W Hotel or newer chain with modern spacious layout.

• Stayed September 2013
You certainly joined us for an exciting time! Thank you for trying us out. Starwood has many brands and lifestyles to choose from and it is always great to see what else is out there. We definitely differ in style significantly from the W but we are all one family set on serving the new generation of luxury. We hope to welcome you back soon. "Landmark" is actually one fo the names of a suite we have... you nailed it! Jared, Director of Front Office
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

A very well-run hotel. Given that it is 100 years old, it has managed to keep its old world charm and still be in top running order. We had 2 connecting rooms and they faced the street but it never got too noisy. The rooms themselves were clean and comfortable and the washrooms were large and functional. The service was excellent, especially Lee Ann the concierge who gave us many useful tips, always with a smile. The room service was quick, the food was good and the hotel is well located. Having the Westfield Plaza across the street was very useful. When next in San Diego, we will definitely be back here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
A very kind review to a very thankful audience, Cassie! So glad you enjoyed your time with us and that the connecting arrangement met your needs. We are certainly blessed with a history to maintain and I am proud that you approve of how we have managed it. Our location certainly helps too! We look forward to welcoming you back. Jared, Director of Front Office
Sierra Vista
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel, located at the edge of the famous Gaslamp District, is within walking distance of literally hundreds of restaurants and pubs/shopping within the District. The US Grant is very clean, and provides excellent service.

There is no pool, but they have an agreement with a hotel down the street that you can walk to. We chose not to utilize the pool, as we were busy doing so many other things.

For the beauty of this hotel, the excellent location, and the unparalleled service and cleanliness, we experienced two drawbacks. These drawbacks were important enough to us, that we will really contemplate a repeat trip to this hotel. One, was that housekeeping didn't replenish our supplies, and came late every night we were there....after being gone all day, by 4:30 p.m., they still hadn't cleaned/refreshed our room. Also, one time when we had the valet retrieve our car, it took them over 20 minutes to bring it around.

The second issue, is that it costs $39 PER NIGHT to park your car at the hotel. There just is very minimal parking in downtown San Diego, but I found this cost, spread out over three nights, to just about equal the cost for one night at the hotel. I found this unacceptable. They need to re-negotiate their rates with the company that handles the parking, because the cost is prohibitive.

They provide excellent service, the staff is professional, classy and helpful, the hotel is spotless and rooms are very clean. The location couldn't be better. But, I will do more homework for that area of town to determine if there is a better deal to stay in that area and not have to pay that over-the-top parking fee. Perhaps if the hotel could offer a package that included parking, a breakfast, or free appetizers, that might sweeten the deal. We had a great time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Greetings!

We always enjoy hearing about the experiences of our guests. In your case you have provided justly balanced feedback that we take seriously. There is a lot that goes into an exceptional experience and we fell just short of this for you and for that please accept our apologies. By the sounds of your commentary though there is a lot to celerbate and we appreciate your recognition for what we have done well.

This being said, now that you have written part of our history with your stay we hope that you continue your chapter. While you have gotten acquainted with us in brief we think that we only get better with age and intimacy. Please return again to find the other aspects of the hotel that will define excellence!

Nathan Davis, Director of Operations

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!