“Classy Historical Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
minnesota
“Classy Historical Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Hotel lobby really impresses; high ceilings, chandeliers, and plenty of lounge spaces. Room is nicely decorated (although the bed is a bit firm for my taste). Decent bathroom amenities and fitness center. Loved the breakfast food in the restaurant (never ordered room service). I typically prefer a more modern style hotel, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

1,597 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I selected the Grant as it was near the Convention Center and a Starwood property. The hotel was well maintained and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. My room was spacious and well appointed with all modern amenities. The location was ideal. I walked all over the Gaslamp Quarter and to my convention each day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
We appreciate your having taken the time to share your feedback on this recent stay. You did a great service on touching on many of the elements that make our hotel special from location to care of our 102 year old hotel to our services. We hope this assists other guests with deciphering through their next selection of hotels when visiting San Diego.

Please come back again and continue to launch into the san Diego scene, whether for business or pleasure.

Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Beautiful Lobby and great service. Hotel is just over 100 years old and room sizes are small as a result, but everything has been completely refurbished. First night I stayed there there was a big military reception on the main floor with lots of full dress uniforms and wives in ball gowns -- very fun.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
NFBD, Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for your favorable review!

So glad to hear some commentary on Trip Advisor about one of the many special events this hotel plays host to throughout the year. One never knows what will be in fashion on any random night at THE US GRANT.

We hope you are inspired to return to continue your exploration of our storied halls!

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Booked a suite for a great price on-line. Upon arrival, I was greeted by uniform staff promptly and very courteously. I was through reservations and into my room within 10 minutes. The room was one of the very best I have ever stayed in! Definitely worthy of five stars to be sure. I have never stayed in a quieter hotel room. No door slamming from other rooms, loud conversations, etc, could be heard. When I needed to extend my stay by one more night, the staff did all they could to keep me in the same room with the good rate. I was truly impressed by the building, facilities, room, staff & service. I will definitely keep this hotel on the top of my "go to" list when in San Diego. It's close to everything - shopping, dining, drinking, sports, public transportation, etc. I don't think you can find a better hotel property in San Diego than The U.S. Grant. Take to time to explore the hotel to see the little bits of history throughout, it's fascinating piece of Americana.

Room Tip: My room was on the north side kind of in a corner - very quiet and close to the elevator! ALSO, on...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings Jay,

To say we are grateful for your wonderful review would be an understatement. We truly appreciate those guests that want more from a hotel stay than a bed. You are tailor made for our hotel! We could not agree with you more than to look no further for a great experience. In enjoying that experience take your time to get to know the hotel. Our historic lower level is a step back in time to a different era of America.

Please come stay with us again and continue to build upon the stories that define this hotel.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. The lobby is marble, chandeliers, etc giving it a rich look. Our tour guide mentioned the exterior of the hotel had real gold lining.

The bar served some exotic drinks, with really good service (the bartender advised a couple of guests to take the food from the bar, to avoid room service charges).

The rooms were large, and tastefully decorated. Ours overlooked the swimming pool in the next hotel. The bathrooms were lovely too.

The hop on hop off city tours operate a block from the hotel. There is a shopping plaza, a CVS pharmacy and plenty of shopping nearby.

Greetings,

Many thanks for your kind review. We appreciate your ability to paint a picture in the minds of the readers with your words. The hotel truly sums up old world luxury having opened its doors in 1910 but still defines luxury today for each of our guests as they define this elusive concept.

Please do return soon and continue to write our history in the making through your experience of our hotel!

Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The staff was very friendly and courteous, especially the front desk personnel and the parking attendants. Always had a smile and tried to be helpful. Giving free cold water every time we left the hotel in the car was a nice touch. We ate two breakfasts and one lunch, and the food was very good and the wait staff was excellent. I would say that the service compares to a Four Seasons hotel. Really. It was that good. What I particularly liked is that there were plenty of staff available at all times (front desk, parking and restaurant), so we never had to wait.

We were upgraded and had a very comfortable suite. My one (minor) complaint is that there was only one easy chair in the suite (there was also a chair at the desk), with the result that one of us had to sit on the bed – this was the same as the last time we stayed here, and unfortunately this situation is not uncommon in many hotels.

We found the bed comfortable, and the furnishings and bathroom were adequate but nothing special (I said the service was like a Four Seasons, not that it is a Four Seasons! On the other hand, the price was certainly a lot less than a Four Seasons!).

Yes, I wish the overnight parking was cheaper ($38 per night for Friday & Saturday but that rate is competitive with other centrally located hotels in major cities), and I wish there was free Wi-Fi, but that's very rare in downtown hotels, and that's why we have a Mi-Fi.

So, overall: Good value. Good location (yes, I know, the homeless, but walking distance to Petco and the Gas Lamp district).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jared D, Front Office Manager at The US Grant, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
I can tell, BerkelyJohn, that you are a well traveled person and it seems you have sampled some of the best San Diego has to offer! That being said, your praise for being like or better than a Four Seasons in service is very much appreciated! It is what we strive for: the be among the best in service but with a San Diego luxury value. Downtown parking prices are on the rise and I appreciate that you have seen the equality amongst the major downtown hotels in that area. There are many options in downtown but I feel, and I think you felt it too, that out staff makes the difference. Than you again, we hope to welcome you back soon. Jared, Dir of Front Office
Temecula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My stay was wonderful. Cannot say enough great things about the front desk staff. We were initially put in a clean but very dark, depressing, small room with a view of other hotel room bathrooms (hotel is U-shaped). This was for staff convenience rather than guest experience in my opinion. I went down to the front desk and asked for remedy. They graciously listened and provided us with an excellent, large, & bright room for lateral price. We were so happy! We did have a few issues with housekeeping. The front desk listened to my concerns and remedied them for the most part (not perfect but better). Restaurant (Grant Grill) is excellent. I loved the historical exhibits througout this hotel. This hotel has amazing history being built in ~ 1909. Check out the history panels, time capsule, & Native American exhibits on lobby floor. Best experience is going down one floor to see the photo museum of this hotel's history. Location is amazing! Across from Horton Plaza at the top of the Gas Lamp. Walking distance to so many restaurants, bars, shops. In the heart of downtown & all San Diego has to offer. When walking, the homeless can be aggressive but that's not the hotel's fault. Just politely say no and keep walking. I felt safe and never harrassed. Another downside: no hotel shops (even a sundries). It's OK because there is a CVS across the street at Horton Plaza, but I thought it was weird that they have no sundries. Kinda inconvient. One more complaint: the carpet in the hallways on the 4th floor is really stained. I think the fire sprinklers went off on that floor based on the stain pattern. They need to fix that as it makes the carpet look dirty. Not a pleasing visual. Overall, great experience. This historic hotel is a gem for San Diego. Not to be missed if you get a good room.

Room Tip: As previously stated, I would recommend working with the front desk. They did an excellent job liste...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for all the kind praise Trish! I am most proud that the front desk team impressed you more than once during your stay. We certainly have a lot of pride in our history and showcase as much as we can about it. I am glad you brought up the carpets in the hallways. Interestingly enough, the carpets are actually not stained or wet. Now I wouldn't be so brazen to say they are absolutely spotless but the coloration you talked about is actually a color effect created by how the hair lies and which direction its pushed changes the look. Next time you are around, if you wish, try pushing the carpet in different directions and you will see the shade change entirely! Its pretty surprising how much lighter or darker it gets. This leads some guests to think it is stained or even flooded at times! I assure you it is quite clean and we have had no floods in recent time. Just another interesting aspect of his historic property that adds some character from your cookie cut hotel; not all carpet is created equal! Thank you again Trish and hope to see you again soon! Jared, Dir of Front Office.

Been to The US Grant? Share your experiences!